CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 27, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #17,251 of 25,909
Very similar, but I didn't notice the increased edginess, plus I am convinced both MPD and LMS have somehow lowered the noise floor ever so slightly. But yes agree with you totally about better separation, and maybe even a little better depth perception.
Yes depth also improved as well as overall soundstage size and positioning.
So it must be something in it.
Your words assure me that I'm not deluded or smth.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #17,252 of 25,909
It's clearer, separation is better its most visible during complex music passages - maybe sometimes music some instruments can be a bit edgy.
I agree .. I have found the over sample level set to ‘medium’ on the mscalar provides the best overall blend of performance across all recording styles and genres with the Dave and allows that beautiful subtle natural analogue type warmth of the Dave to be present, that otherwise fades when over sample is set to high. .. Additionally this means only one of the SPDIF interconnect leads need to be used.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #17,253 of 25,909
Damn, like 5 days ago after reading some of the posts regarding Roon vs LMS sq, I've started to do my own listening tests using Roon + Ropieee endpioint vs LMS + Picoreplayer endpoint - both with hifiberry toslink out to m scaler.
I wasn't expecting much of a difference, but I must say that LMS to my ears sounds better.
It's clearer, separation is better its most visible during complex music passages - maybe sometimes music some instruments can be a bit edgy.
Roon might be a tad smoother but not in a good way - everything seems to be a bit more squashed muddy.

Damn it's hard, LMS to my ears sounds better and keeping in mind that I have to pay subscription for Roon and how much money I'm putting there every year... it's hard to justify keeping Roon.
LMS features cannot match Roon not even close. I love music discovery through Roon and just library management is much clearer nicer with Roon but the sound... it's different story.
If you’re using Ropiee, have you tried enabling Sqeezelite and then in roon in Setup switching on Squeezebox support? This will give you a Squeezebox endpoint that you can switch to and it sounds different from roon’s. Also in device setup, switch off flac compression for best sound. I think it has a richer sound than the roon endpoint. It’s free to try and then you can still keep roon software while having a better end point.

May 30, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #17,254 of 25,909
This is probably a dumb question, but I’ll ask nonetheless. If I use a separate headphone amp, would changing the DAVE psu to the Sean Jacobs DC4 have the same improvement as driving headphones directly from the DAVE?

I want to say that it should, but all the reviews I’ve read about the DC4 have the reviewers driving speakers or headphones directly from their DAVE. What happens when an external headphone amp is used? :thinking:

May 31, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #17,255 of 25,909
If you’re using Ropiee, have you tried enabling Sqeezelite and then in roon in Setup switching on Squeezebox support? This will give you a Squeezebox endpoint that you can switch to and it sounds different from roon’s. Also in device setup, switch off flac compression for best sound. I think it has a richer sound than the roon endpoint. It’s free to try and then you can still keep roon software while having a better end point.
Thanks for suggestion, I wasn't aware of that. I'll try to check it in the near time.

Jun 5, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #17,256 of 25,909
I'm finally a member of the DAVE club. Right out of the box the sound is an upgrade to the sound of my old TT2. Now I get it! What a musical listening experience this is.

IMG_1088.jpg

Jun 6, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #17,257 of 25,909
I'm finally a member of the DAVE club. Right out of the box the sound is an upgrade to the sound of my old TT2. Now I get it! What a musical listening experience this is.

IMG_1088.jpg
Have you tried separating your components. One of the advantages of the Opto-DX is that it is possible to physically distance the Dave and Mscaler, reducing RFI affecting the Dave. The other big advantage is reduced heat output. There is no circulation around your Mscaler being sandwiched between the Dave and amplifier. The Dave is sittings on a 35° C heat source. Imho separating your components would significantly extend their life. It is also worth while mounting the Dave and Mscaler on at least 30 mm high footers to improve circulation. I use Ceraballs.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #17,258 of 25,909
Have you tried separating your components. One of the advantages of the Opto-DX is that it is possible to physically distance the Dave and Mscaler, reducing RFI affecting the Dave. The other big advantage is reduced heat output. There is no circulation around your Mscaler being sandwiched between the Dave and amplifier. The Dave is sittings on a 35° C heat source. Imho separating your components would significantly extend their life. It is also worth while mounting the Dave and Mscaler on at least 30 mm high footers to improve circulation. I use Ceraballs.
I have a Choral stand coming. It’ll add that distance in between the Dave and HMS you’re talking about. I was hoping the stand and Dave would arrive at the same time, but it didn’t happen that way. I know this is not the ideal setup but it’s only temporary. I’m just trying to get to know the sound of my Dave until the stand comes :)

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #17,259 of 25,909
Here are my initial thoughts on the DAVE. My system has reached a new and unique level. Resolution, imaging, musicality, timing, pacing, rhythm and power has all evolved. The levels of P.R.A.T. the DAVE infuses in my setup are the biggest changes I’m hearing. I just want to tap my feet, close my eyes, and bob my head to the music. This is the sound and the listening experience I’ve been seeking.

Yes, the DAVE deserves all the accolades because it’s that good. This is the best listening experience I‘ve had in my home. I didn’t even mention the realism the DAVE is offering up. The DAVE places you in the studio with the band or in the first row of a concert. Listening to the DAVE/HMS is like being there. I can hear the plucking and the finger slides on the strings as the artist is changing notes on the guitar. I can hear the artist taking breathes in the microphone, I can hear the reverb from the venue their in, the clap of the tom tom drums being hit all in real time it seems.

The DAVE has impeccable imaging and instrument separation. The DAVE coupled with the HMS has so much texture, resolve, depth and width to music. I’ve just never heard anything like it. The sense of realism is just uncanny with the DAVE.

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #17,260 of 25,909
Here are my initial thoughts on the DAVE. My system has reached a new and unique level. Resolution, imaging, musicality, timing, pacing, rhythm and power has all evolved. The levels of P.R.A.T. the DAVE infuses in my setup are the biggest changes I’m hearing. I just want to tap my feet, close my eyes, and bob my head to the music. This is the sound and the listening experience I’ve been seeking.

Yes, the DAVE deserves all the accolades because it’s that good. This is the best listening experience I‘ve had in my home. I didn’t even mention the realism the DAVE is offering up. The DAVE places you in the studio with the band or in the first row of a concert. Listening to the DAVE/HMS is like being there. I can hear the plucking and the finger slides on the strings as the artist is changing notes on the guitar. I can hear the artist taking breathes in the microphone, I can hear the reverb from the venue their in, the clap of the tom tom drums being hit all in real time it seems.

The DAVE has impeccable imaging and instrument separation. The DAVE coupled with the HMS has so much texture, resolve, depth and width to music. I’ve just never heard anything like it. The sense of realism is just uncanny with the DAVE.
So you like it then... :sweat_smile:

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #17,261 of 25,909
Jun 6, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #17,262 of 25,909
I have a Choral stand coming. It’ll add that distance in between the Dave and HMS you’re talking about. I was hoping the stand and Dave would arrive at the same time, but it didn’t happen that way. I know this is not the ideal setup but it’s only temporary. I’m just trying to get to know the sound of my Dave until the stand comes :)
I have my HMS 3ft away from the Dave. Distance is your friend here.

Jun 6, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #17,263 of 25,909
I have my HMS 3ft away from the Dave. Distance is your friend here.
Wow, I think I need to rethink my setup. We'll see how it goes when I get the Choral stand. I'll play around with the placement of the HMS in relation to the DAVE then.

Jun 6, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #17,264 of 25,909
Wow, I think I need to rethink my setup. We'll see how it goes when I get the Choral stand. I'll play around with the placement of the HMS in relation to the DAVE then.
I see from your photo that you have the opto boxes, so you’ll be able to experiment with distance at least (not restricted by existing Bnc cable length).

Jun 6, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #17,265 of 25,909
I see from your photo that you have the opto boxes, so you’ll be able to experiment with distance at least (not restricted by existing Bnc cable length).
Yes, I need to get the longer optical cables for the Opto-DX to allow me some placement flexibility. The ones that came with the Opto-DX are short. It's another reason I have things close together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back