CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 23, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #17,221 of 25,868
I had problems with a new DAVE (at the time I bought it). It wouldn’t work with the M-Scaler without clicking and static. It was a relatively common problem I came to learn. Thing is, you wouldn’t know anything was wrong with the DAVE unless you added the m-scaler. I had to get the DAVE fixed and get the new firmware or whatever.

So, I’d ask whoever owns the DAVE if they had tried the M-Scaler with it
Ooo good to know thanks! I suppose thinking about it the Dave has only been released for 5 to 6 years. So most people probably would not encountered after warranty issues as most units are still on warranty.

May 24, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #17,223 of 25,868
Has anyone tried using BNC input into HMS instead of USB?
Yes, I and a friend both have antipodes K50 streamers and we think that the bnc output from the K50 beats usb into the MScaler. We have been using Squeeze on the K50.

May 24, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #17,224 of 25,868
I had problems with a new DAVE (at the time I bought it). It wouldn’t work with the M-Scaler without clicking and static. It was a relatively common problem I came to learn. Thing is, you wouldn’t know anything was wrong with the DAVE unless you added the m-scaler. I had to get the DAVE fixed and get the new firmware or whatever.

So, I’d ask whoever owns the DAVE if they had tried the M-Scaler with it
I had the same problem. Good advice.

May 24, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #17,225 of 25,868
Been offered a DAVE for a good price. It's was one of the original DAVE and it's about 5 years old. I'm wondering whether it's the same as the current DAVE, or would I need to send it Chord to do some type of firmware upgrade on it?

Also, I have the Mscaler and was wondering if it would work with it, or would I need to upgrade to a newer firmware before using it with the DAVE?

May 24, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #17,226 of 25,868
How good is that price? Depending on the difference, it may or may not be worth it in the long run. After all, a warranty is definitely worth something. You might want to send an email to Chord regarding the firmware questions.

May 24, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #17,227 of 25,868
How good is that price? Depending on the difference, it may or may not be worth it in the long run. After all, a warranty is definitely worth something. You might want to send an email to Chord regarding the firmware questions.
Yeah, I was thinking the same as well. It's less than half price when new.

May 24, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #17,228 of 25,868
Yeah, I was thinking the same as well. It's less than half price when new.
That’s a very good price indeed. I would definitely consider getting it. Chord’s manufacturing standards are high so I wouldn’t really worry about potential repairs down the road in contrast to some other European brands.

May 24, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #17,229 of 25,868
As far as I know there are no new versions of the FPGA and code from the first to latest DAVE sold. Yes, the Mscaler will work with all DAVEs.

May 24, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #17,230 of 25,868
there is little to go wrong with a DAC and if it has functioned well up until now I see no reason to think it wont going forward

May 24, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #17,231 of 25,868
Maybe the only counter point might be, it’s said, that you could get a new Dave for 3/4 full retail price if you have the right relationships with dealers. You could also trade some older unused item or sell separately to raise the 3/4 amount.... then you’d have an asset with a full warranty that you could sell on down the line.

May 24, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #17,232 of 25,868
May 25, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #17,233 of 25,868
What do you think about something like this and a wavestorm cable? https://www.m2techusa.com/products/hiface2-hi-end-usb-to-s-pdif-bnc-output
In my view there is unlikely to be a real jump with any of the USB-to-SPDIF converters - you are just trading one USB interface for another, your data is still going through the whole async routine. I don't have experience with dedicated network streaming products but I would hope that the best ones format the SPDIF transmission directly from a buffer which would cut the USB process out of the path. If you want to try this, I'd be looking at something with a good clock (Denafrips or MUTEC MC3+ USB spring to mind but there are others). I have an M2Tech USB/SPDIF converter but it's not likely to improve on a good USB interface on something like Dave.

The real benefit is likelly to be USB (or LAN) to SPDIF converter that galvanically isolates (and reclocks) the output.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #17,235 of 25,868
Has anyone tried using BNC input into HMS instead of USB?
See one of my previous posts, I am currently switching between optical and BNC inputs, rather against perceived wisdom I seem to prefer optical at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back