CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 16, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #17,311 of 25,909
I have a bit of a weird issue. I am experiencing an issue using the Ra 21-C-Cu (made out of copper) when listening to music connected to:

a) Focal Arche+Rasperry Pi (Roon endpoint) with an iFi iPower power supply
b) Dave+Mscaler+Sonore Optical Rendu+Optical module (Dave+Mscaler using stock PSUs, Rendu units using a switching power supply)
-->Source gets internet through an ethernet cable plugged into a Devolo powerline adapter

After 10-15 minutes of listening my ears start getting small electrical shocks that are not painful but certainly unpleasant.
Any ideas??? Has anyone had to deal with this sort of issue before??
I suspect you need to ground something somewhere. My best guess is the Optical Rendu connected to the M-scaler with the switching power supply. But it's possible you need to ground the M-Scaler instead.

I would try the iFi Groundhog+
https://ifi-audio.com/products/groundhog/
Because it comes with so many adaptors, you can ground different devices with the adaptors until you figured out where the problem is.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #17,312 of 25,909
I think I found the problem. My work laptop has a European plug- it was near me the whole time sitting on the same desk.

It was switched off but still plugged in- removing the power cord made the problem disappear completely.

EDIT: kudos to @SteveHulk for the invaluable assistance that led to the issue being identified

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #17,313 of 25,909
I think I found the problem. My work laptop has a European plug- it was near me the whole time sitting on the same desk.

It was switched off but still plugged in- removing the power cord made the problem disappear completely.
Haha, almost too funny but glad you got it sorted!!

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #17,314 of 25,909
@Rob Watts @ecwl .. digital volume control works better than any analog attenuator. Even if the attenuator is built with separate resistors, no matter what unobtanium these resistors are made of.
My understanding is that analog attenuation affects damping factor.
I'm sure an electronics expert will correct me if that is not always the case..

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #17,315 of 25,909
Haha, almost too funny but glad you got it sorted!!
Yeah, problem is somehow gone... I was expecting a much longer uphill battle to fight in identifying the culprit.

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #17,316 of 25,909
And yes, I am aware it is better to keep the two separated but I love the cleaner setup!

Attachments

• 20210617_153113.jpg
    20210617_153113.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jun 17, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #17,317 of 25,909
Nick - I was skeptical ... and then astonished. It really does make a very surprising difference ... even through headphones. And it need not be expensive .... http://www.ingress-engineering.ca/ ...
I can second what Glossator says after reading the above and ordering the Ingress rollerblocks to place under my Dave. I now have a second set under my CD player.

Jun 17, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #17,318 of 25,909
I can second what Glossator says after reading the above and ordering the Ingress rollerblocks to place under my Dave. I now have a second set under my CD player.
Nice, might put these under both Dave and the Mscaler. Probably helps with keeping things cool too.
Which ones did you go for?

Jun 17, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #17,320 of 25,909
Nick - I was skeptical ... and then astonished. It really does make a very surprising difference ... even through headphones. And it need not be expensive .... http://www.ingress-engineering.ca/ ...
It looks like a similar principle to Ansuz Darkz, albeit less balls and far more affordable. I tried some Darkz under my DAVE and they definitely seemed to make a difference. I put them back under my distributor and I'm using IsoAcoustic Orea at the moment.

Jun 18, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #17,321 of 25,909
It looks like a similar principle to Ansuz Darkz, albeit less balls and far more affordable. I tried some Darkz under my DAVE and they definitely seemed to make a difference. I put them back under my distributor and I'm using IsoAcoustic Orea at the moment.
That wouldn't surprise me. I was just following hints helpfully dropped by Ray - and I understand that the effect is sufficiently nuanced that you can hear the difference between balls of different diameters and materials. The physics is complicated. I get the impression that on the one hand it helps to insulate from external vibrations (e..g produced by speakers), but that the other aspect is absorbing microphony produced by the DAC itself. As ever, experimentation is best if you feel like it (and my rollerballs sit on type of a Daiza). Or, you can just settle down (as I have for the moment!) to enjoy the amazing results.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #17,322 of 25,909
Jun 18, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #17,324 of 25,909
Seems no one around here has tried these yet:

Tungsten Groove

Developed using DAVE.

Jun 18, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #17,325 of 25,909
I ordered 8 of these puppies: X4 for Dave and X4 for the Mscaler.
Well regarded and cheap as chips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back