CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 19, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #17,341 of 25,973
Yes, I think there might of been some other issues too. When all is well, leave well alone!
There was an (unproven) suspicion that bnc 1 and 2 might be inferior to 3 and 4 because they are closer to the analogue outputs but i cant say i have ever noticed any difference.

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #17,344 of 25,973
Ansuz Acoustics make some isolation equipment but their prices tend to verge on absurd when it comes to this. Even with a 25% off I’m not tempted. I’m about to test out some of their power cords soon. Hopefully my wallet won’t take a beating afterwards 🤣😂
Are you trying their distributor as well? I have been impressed with their products and you can usually negotiate decent discounts.

Darkz are horribly expensive but they do work well.

Jun 20, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #17,345 of 25,973
Are you trying their distributor as well? I have been impressed with their products and you can usually negotiate decent discounts.

Darkz are horribly expensive but they do work well.
I recently tried their previous generation mainz 8 diamond and wasn’t really impressed compared to my current Mainz 8 xtc, which they sold me last summer for $600 as a demo. I may give their more expensive variants a try and see if they make a perceptible difference.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #17,346 of 25,973
I recently tried their previous generation mainz 8 diamond and wasn’t really impressed compared to my current Mainz 8 xtc, which they sold me last summer for $600 as a demo. I may give their more expensive variants a try and see if they make a perceptible difference.
Let us know what you think if you try them.

I've only tried the Mainz 8 A2 and C2 distributors and I did find they made a noticeable difference.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #17,348 of 25,973
A quick update from my side after a couple of days with the new setup. Dave+Mscaler are exactly what I hoped for and more.
I spent the first few days using my Utopias- which, as I expected, turned out to be a fantastic pairing.

The real star of the show, however, has been my IEMs- Obravo’s Ra 21 C-Cu. I was taken aback by the soundstage and authority of the sound reproduced by the Obravos. I have tried them with the Mojo, my former Hugo 2 and Focal Arche prior to Dave. They just keep performing better and better depending on what is powering them. Give them a listen if you can get a home demo- Phil made me aware that he now has a demo unit!

@PhilW

Jun 26, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #17,349 of 25,973
Here’s a great review of three very good DAC’s. I won’t disclose which one he moved to his reference system, but since I’m posting here it’s worth a look/listen to see why:

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #17,350 of 25,973
Here’s a great review of three very good DAC’s. I won’t disclose which one he moved to his reference system, but since I’m posting here it’s worth a look/listen to see why:

I saw this a few hours ago. Many, like Darko, feel the opposite way, so I thought he'd put it down more to preference. His clear statement of superiority surprised me

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #17,351 of 25,973
I saw this a few hours ago. Many, like Darko, feel the opposite way, so I thought he'd put it down more to preference. His clear statement of superiority surprised me
Agreed, sound preferences play a huge roll in ones component selections, but he clearly had made a statement at the end.

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #17,352 of 25,973
Is there any consensus on what reasonably priced RCA interconnects to use for the DAVE with external amp for Susvara?
What about these from Requisite Audio

We make our Cables in both Silver/Copper and Silver. I will quote both for you using the same length as in the article.

For a Silver/Copper 3.5 feet long Line Level (RCA Connector) the price is $84.00 each or $168.00 for a pair plus shipping.

For a Silver 3.5 feet long Line Level (RCA Connector) the price is $122.00 each or $244.00 for a pair plus shipping.

Jun 26, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #17,353 of 25,973

Unsurprising he picked the DAVE as his reference DAC— it still has no equal.

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #17,355 of 25,973
Agreed, sound preferences play a huge roll in ones component selections, but he clearly had made a statement at the end.
Darko is a little strange to say the least. After his reviews of the Dave and later Bartok with the Empyrean, I don’t really trust his reviews and videos. He seemed to have thoroughly enjoyed the Dave paired with LCD4, which isn’t at all surprising, and then a few weeks later essentially raved about the Bartok powering a pair of Empyrean, which sounds objectively worse than Sony’s TAZH1E, which I had a few months ago. One would have to really try hard to find a worse sounding dac/amp/streamer with that kind of budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back