CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 26, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #17,356 of 26,005
Gents,

on Tuesday I have an appointment to listen to the TT2, Mscaler and Dave at my local dealer. Any tips or suggestions I should keep in mind? My plan is to bring the Susvara and Utopia’s. Should I bring my Bakoon amp for the Susvara’s?

Thanks!

Jun 26, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #17,357 of 26,005
Gents,

on Tuesday I have an appointment to listen to the TT2, Mscaler and Dave at my local dealer. Any tips or suggestions I should keep in mind? My plan is to bring the Susvara and Utopia’s. Should I bring my Bakoon amp for the Susvara’s?

Thanks!
For the Susvaras, you have to use the XLRs on the back of the TT2. It will sound bad out of the single ended connections on the TT2 and DAVE. I’d bring the Bakoon, because you’ll definitely want to try the DAVE/Bakoon combo. If you go DAVE you basically have to also use a powerful headphone amp. So, keep that in mind. But, the DAVE/M-scaler is a great

Jun 26, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #17,358 of 26,005
Darko is a little strange to say the least. After his reviews of the Dave and later Bartok with the Empyrean, I don’t really trust his reviews and videos. He seemed to have thoroughly enjoyed the Dave paired with LCD4, which isn’t at all surprising, and then a few weeks later essentially raved about the Bartok powering a pair of Empyrean, which sounds objectively worse than Sony’s TAZH1E, which I had a few months ago. One would have to really try hard to find a worse sounding dac/amp/streamer with that kind of budget.
You would think with the Empyrean's sound signature the Dave would be a much better choice than the Bartok with them. The Empyrean's NEED all the resolution and clarity they can get to my ears.

Jun 26, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #17,359 of 26,005
You would think with the Empyrean's sound signature the Dave would be a much better choice than the Bartok with them. The Empyrean's NEED all the resolution and clarity they can get to my ears.
That’s what I thought. No matter what changes I made in Bartok’s control app, it just wouldn’t sound entertaining and my points of comparison were rather modest comparatively speaking (the above-mentioned Sony amp and Nordost Frey 2 power). Surprisingly, Bartok’s crossfeed on the maximum setting sounded quite bad and unnatural. I much prefer Dave’s subtle approach. Aside from that, Dave can be easily picked up and moved to practically anywhere or taken on vacation. You can’t really do that with Bartok given its size.

Jun 26, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #17,360 of 26,005
That’s what I thought. No matter what changes I made in Bartok’s control app, it just wouldn’t sound entertaining and my points of comparison were rather modest comparatively speaking (the above-mentioned Sony amp and Nordost Frey 2 power). Surprisingly, Bartok’s crossfeed on the maximum setting sounded quite bad and unnatural. I much prefer Dave’s subtle approach. Aside from that, Dave can be easily picked up and moved to practically anywhere or taken on vacation. You can’t really do that with Bartok given its size.
I know of one head-fier who does just that. He takes his Bartok from room to room with his AB-1266 TC's, haha. The Dave would be much easier to tote around.

Jun 27, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #17,361 of 26,005
I know of one head-fier who does just that. He takes his Bartok from room to room with his AB-1266 TC's, haha. The Dave would be much easier to tote around.
Seems like a rather cumbersome and time consuming chore, especially if there are power conditioners and multiple cables. I think I know who you might be referring to. Did he previously have a TT2 before getting the Bartok?

Jun 27, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #17,362 of 26,005
Seems like a rather cumbersome and time consuming chore, especially if there are power conditioners and multiple cables. I think I know who you might be referring to. Did he previously have a TT2 before getting the Bartok?
Yes, I'm sure he'll chime in later. Great guy, btw!

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #17,363 of 26,005
My plan is to bring the Susvara and Utopia’s. Should I bring my Bakoon amp for the Susvara’s?
Definitely try DAVE -> Bakoon -> Susvara vs. just DAVE -> Utopia. This DAC is so good in its purest form, that I'm actually thinking about selling my Headtrip and using only sensitive cans in the future.

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #17,364 of 26,005
that has always been the calculation....the dave DAC used without an amp is magnificent BUT you need a very efficient HP and the utopia or Stellia would be 2 that fit the bill....sadly in my case I happen to love the harder to drive HP's which necessitates an amp like the bakoon which I own.....

Jun 27, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #17,365 of 26,005
Definitely try DAVE -> Bakoon -> Susvara vs. just DAVE -> Utopia. This DAC is so good in its purest form, that I'm actually thinking about selling my Headtrip and using only sensitive cans in the future.
That is where I am. I like listening straight out of the Dave that only my sensitive cans are getting majority of my playing time.

Jun 27, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #17,366 of 26,005
Agreed. If the Utopia suits the genres you listen to there is nothing better directly connected to the DAVE.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #17,367 of 26,005
Good to know. Looking forward to hearing it.

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #17,368 of 26,005
Anyone running the Topping A90 Headphone amp with Dave?

I use the headphone amp in the Dave a lot, but I also own an iCan Pro.
Just looking to mix things up for fun.

I originally was looking at the the BenchMark HPA4, but looks like the A90 gets similar/better measurements and costs quite a bit less.

Thoughts?

Here is a full review:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...topping-a90-headphone-amplifier-review.13592/

My Headphones:
sennheiser 800S
sennheiser 6XX
Utopia
Stax L700

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #17,369 of 26,005

I originally was looking at the the BenchMark HPA4, but looks like the A90 gets similar/better measurements and costs quite a bit less.

Thoughts?

Here is a full review:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...topping-a90-headphone-amplifier-review.13592/

My Headphones:
sennheiser 800S
sennheiser 6XX
Utopia
Stax L700
I have the A90 and I like it, but I don't use it with the Dave. Whenever possible I listen straight from the Dave. I only use an amp for hard to drive headphones like the Susvara.

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #17,370 of 26,005

Thoughts?

Here is a full review:

My Headphones:
sennheiser 800S
sennheiser 6XX
Utopia
Stax L700
An outboard amplifier is not needed with the DAVE and Sennheiser HD 800 S, HD 6XX, and Focal Utopia. I would look at using the funds to optimize other more crucial parts of your system like adding the Hugo M Scaler, an upgraded source, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back