CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 9, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #16,877 of 25,942
So are u using the stock cable, Nick?
Internally, yes I have the neotech copper.

For the dc umbilicals I use Gotham GAC-4/1 11301 UltraPro Star Quad which I selected on account of its screening (which I earth). It is not an exotic cable.

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #16,879 of 25,942
Hi

I have been thinking of getting the silver/gold cable. What differences did you notice?
This is the wire: https://www.partsconnexion.com/MUNDORF-70803.html

Nenon from AudiophileStyle got me hooked on it. Most people are mainly using as DC wire.

I have replaced all my copper DC cabling with this wire, even on the network stuff and its made a very noticeable improvement. To my ears, and many more on AS, it really is the best of copper and silver with none of the drawbacks, besides price. Doesn't have the brightness of silver but has the speed and tightness that silver is known for. Also sound very organic like copper. You really have to hear it for yourself.

The easiest and cheapest way to test if it makes a difference in your system (because all systems have a different level of transparency) is to find the shortest copper DC cable you have and replace it with a silver/gold one. I even heard a difference by just replacing the copper DC cable from my linear power supply to the ONT that brings an ATT fiber line for my music system. This was a real eye opener about how everything in the chain matters and has a sound to it.

Also, Sean is now offering DC4s made entirely of this wire as an extra cost option vs the neotech copper. You just have to ask for it. Don't think its on the site.

The DC4 Ray-Dude reviewed on AS was also made with this same wire.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #16,880 of 25,942
So are u using the stock cable, Nick?

PS I heard from a birdie that Rob Watts is right now designing another box to enhance the MScaler.... Do you think it is true? What could it be? My guess is a clock....
Your birdie tweets are false...

And external clocks for DACs is a crazy thing to do.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #16,882 of 25,942
And external clocks for DACs is a crazy thing to do.
Problem with external clock for DAC is absolutely understandable. But what do you think about clocking the digital transport or upscaler from a DAC?

I’ve heard really nice improvement with other manufacturer DAC when transport (Aurender) was fed with clock signal from a DAC. Seems logical to use one clock for both devices, but still keep the clock in the DAC.

Mar 11, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #16,883 of 25,942
Feeding the clock back is something I used to do - it's an effective way of solving interface jitter. It's not something that is needed now I have the DPLL. And the primary reason I developed the DPLL (this eliminates source jitter by creating a source frequency locked word clock that is synchronous to the local DAC clock and clocking out data from this word clock) is due to video and wanting high quality sound from my video sources, which are not possible to feed back clocks to.

Mar 11, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #16,884 of 25,942
Feeding the clock back is something I used to do - it's an effective way of solving interface jitter. It's not something that is needed now I have the DPLL. And the primary reason I developed the DPLL (this eliminates source jitter by creating a source frequency locked word clock that is synchronous to the local DAC clock and clocking out data from this word clock) is due to video and wanting high quality sound from my video sources, which are not possible to feed back clocks to.
Thank you for explanations!

Mar 13, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #16,885 of 25,942
Firstly, apologies as I suspect this topic Has been discussed several times previously, but I was hoping to perhaps get some more specific advice. As my son prepares to go to university my wife and I are downsizing resulting in my new allocated listening room being substantially smaller that my current one. So much so that I think I need to move exclusively to a headphone setup. I have just blindly ordered a set of 800s headphones. i have no previous headphone experience, so my question is will I need a headphone amp with my Dave? I currently use the Dave as a pre-amp in my speaker system and love That setup, so just wondering why do people buy separate headphone amps to accompany Dave and what does it bring to the sound? Is it a similar debate as to whether to run Dave with a preamp or not? Thanks

Mar 13, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #16,886 of 25,942
I have just blindly ordered a set of 800s headphones. i have no previous headphone experience, so my question is will I need a headphone amp with my Dave?
HD800s will play better with good amp. These headphones could play very different depending on amp pairing. HD800s topic should be full of suggestions.

Mar 13, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #16,887 of 25,942
Firstly, apologies as I suspect this topic Has been discussed several times previously, but I was hoping to perhaps get some more specific advice. As my son prepares to go to university my wife and I are downsizing resulting in my new allocated listening room being substantially smaller that my current one. So much so that I think I need to move exclusively to a headphone setup. I have just blindly ordered a set of 800s headphones. i have no previous headphone experience, so my question is will I need a headphone amp with my Dave? I currently use the Dave as a pre-amp in my speaker system and love That setup, so just wondering why do people buy separate headphone amps to accompany Dave and what does it bring to the sound? Is it a similar debate as to whether to run Dave with a preamp or not? Thanks

I own both the DAVE and the 800s and can confirm that, while you certainly can add one, you definitely don't need to add a standalone amplifier to your chain. The DAVE itself is capable of driving headphones which are far trickier than the Sennheiser you own. I would suggest adding a separate amp at a later stage, if you want more flexibility and levers to play with in order to fine-tune the pairing to your likings. But I would certainly wait and give yourself the time to get accustomed to the exceptionally good outcome you get out of the DAVE/800s pairing first. By the way, this has been for relatively long time my personal favourite combo (before I purchased the Abyss 1266 and a number of standalone amps which have, over time, mostly but not exclusively taken over the spot dominated before by DAVE/800s).

Some will say that DAVE and 800s lean towards the "bright side". As far as I'm concerned, that has never bothered me really and I've actually always loved the very analytical nature of these combo (which pairs well with most of the music I listen - classical and modern jazz first of all).

Congrats on the new purchase and enjoy! :)

Mar 13, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #16,888 of 25,942
I own both the DAVE and the 800s and can confirm that, while you certainly can add one, you definitely don't need to add a standalone amplifier to your chain. The DAVE itself is capable of driving headphones which are far trickier than the Sennheiser you own. I would suggest adding a separate amp at a later stage, if you want more flexibility and levers to play with in order to fine-tune the pairing to your likings. But I would certainly wait and give yourself the time to get accustomed to the exceptionally good outcome you get out of the DAVE/800s pairing first. By the way, this has been for relatively long time my personal favourite combo (before I purchased the Abyss 1266 and a number of standalone amps which have, over time, mostly but not exclusively taken over the spot dominated before by DAVE/800s).

Some will say that DAVE and 800s lean towards the "bright side". As far as I'm concerned, that has never bothered me really and I've actually always loved the very analytical nature of these combo (which pairs well with most of the music I listen - classical and modern jazz first of all).

Congrats on the new purchase and enjoy! :)

+ 1 on all your comments. Burbster, if you follow this path you won’t go far wrong. The only thing I’ve done differently is to stay with my HD800S’s.

Mar 13, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #16,889 of 25,942
Selling my Chord Dave Dac.
Immaculate condition.
Latest model with all the inputs on the rear panel numbered.
Colour is black.
I have photos that show it from all sides so you can see it is in top condition.
Thought I would mention on here first before it goes on for sale sites.
PM me for details only if interested in purchasing please.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #16,890 of 25,942
You do not need an outboard amplifier with the HD 800 headphones. If you don’t like the signature of the HD 800, you will be better served by buying a different headphone than spending more on an amplifier. The HD 800 is a storied headphone and I have bought and sold the HD 800 S and HD 800 more times than probably anyone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back