CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 7, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #16,861 of 26,005
Could I ask where this advice was posted? I’m trying to fix a ground loop between CD player and amp myself.

Thanks.

Mar 7, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #16,863 of 26,005
With your tube amplifier I would anyway suggest having Dave output a line level output signal and use the amplifier volume control to reduce the volume. I used to set my Dave at +3dB for an integrated tube amp I had and got the best sound quality that way as well.

The issue might be that Dave is connected to the mains earth where the Qutest and TT2 power supplies are not connected to earth. That might have exposed the mains loop issue caused (probably/possibly) by another piece if your kit or signal cables. Whatever the cause of the earth loop hum though, using the factory supplied Dave power lead is not the problem. Have you tried different interconnects between Dave and the amplifier? Is the amplifier properly earthed? All I can say is that I have had my Dave in many many systems and it has never ever been Dave causing hum and it has always been another piece of equipment when I fully investigated what was causing it.
I have A LOT of equipment running out of a wall socket with two outlets. One outlet is connected to a power strip that has all the following plugged into it:

TV, Auris Nirvana amp PSU, computer PSU, cell phone charger, M Scaler PSU

DAVE is on the other outlet in the same wall socket.

If I hooked DAVE to another socket with an extension cord I bet the hum would go away.

I think there is too much plugged in perhaps.

The hum is much less if I put an extension cord into the power strip and plug DAVE in that way, almost like it is farther from the electricity source.

I can live with the anti hum adapter as long as it isn't hurting my signal chain or sound quality.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #16,864 of 26,005
I have A LOT of equipment running out of a wall socket with two outlets. One outlet is connected to a power strip that has all the following plugged into it:

TV, Auris Nirvana amp PSU, computer PSU, cell phone charger, M Scaler PSU

DAVE is on the other outlet in the same wall socket.

If I hooked DAVE to another socket with an extension cord I bet the hum would go away.

I think there is too much plugged in perhaps.

The hum is much less if I put an extension cord into the power strip and plug DAVE in that way, almost like it is farther from the electricity source.

I can live with the anti hum adapter as long as it isn't hurting my signal chain or sound quality.
You've tried unplugging other items to try and establish which item is causing it? Any dimmer switches, smart meters or lights, etc?

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #16,865 of 26,005
Just thought I would share some findings regarding the DC4 with Dave.

Firstly, I would like to say that in my experience the DC4 does do what it says on the tin. It is an excellent product imo. However, (we wouldn't be in this game if we weren't obsessive), I tried an experiment because the two separate umbilical cords used to power the Dave didn't seem to me an optimal solution. I know from experience that, for instance, with speaker cables Tellurium Q has built an enviable reputation for 'imaging and solid bass response' and this has been significantly assisted by keeping the red/black cables separated and exactly parallel throughout the length. No twists or kinks are possible with Tellurium Q speaker cables and it works. So I wondered if the same approach would assist focus and imaging in the same way with DC4 power cables. What I did at first (for simplicity) was just use two cable ties at separate spacing along the cables in order to space them uniformly about 2 inches apart and I also straightened out any small kinks that were obvious in order to further establish parallel uniformity between the 2 cables throughout the length. This also served to stabilise proximity movement between the cables because my DC4 cables are free hanging. The immediate finding was unambiguous: Tighter bass, better clarity and better imaging. However, because the cable ties had a strip of metal in them it introduced an 'edge' to the sound that was not desirable. My solution was to fashion 4 'solid plastic' cable connectors along the run at a 2 inch spacing between each cable. This did the trick.

I now have more focussed sound across the spectrum with better bass focus and the same warmth as I had before.

Additional note: Just like my speaker cables I also do not let these cables go any closer than 6 inches from my floor. (I learned that lesson from Audioquest Fog Lifters for my speaker cables which have been (scientifically?) proven to work). Cables are often a source of fallibility in a system unless the owner is fastidious about vibration and proximity I think.

Anyway, I hope this is of interest to some here.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #16,866 of 26,005

Firstly, I would like to say that in my experience the DC4 does do what it says on the tin. It is an excellent product imo. However, (we wouldn't be in this game if we weren't obsessive), I tried an experiment because the two separate umbilical cords used to power the Dave didn't seem to me an optimal solution. I know from experience that, for instance, with speaker cables Tellurium Q has built an enviable reputation for 'imaging and solid bass response' and this has been significantly assisted by keeping the red/black cables separated and exactly parallel throughout the length. No twists or kinks are possible with Tellurium Q speaker cables and it works. So I wondered if the same approach would assist focus and imaging in the same way with DC4 power cables. What I did at first (for simplicity) was just use two cable ties at separate spacing along the cables in order to space them uniformly about 2 inches apart and I also straightened out any small kinks that were obvious in order to further establish parallel uniformity between the 2 cables throughout the length. This also served to stabilise proximity movement between the cables because my DC4 cables are free hanging. The immediate finding was unambiguous: Tighter bass, better clarity and better imaging. However, because the cable ties had a strip of metal in them it introduced an 'edge' to the sound that was not desirable. My solution was to fashion 4 'solid plastic' cable connectors along the run at a 2 inch spacing between each cable. This did the trick.

I now have more focussed sound across the spectrum with better bass focus and the same warmth as I had before.

Additional note: Just like my speaker cables I also do not let these cables go any closer than 6 inches from my floor. (I learned that lesson from Audioquest Fog Lifters for my speaker cables which have been (scientifically?) proven to work). Cables are often a source of fallibility in a system unless the owner is fastidious about vibration and proximity I think.

Hello Dave,

This is great info. Can you please share some pics. I’m trying to picture what it looks like.

Also, what wire is your DC4 umbilical cord, the Neotech copper?

I’m using the Mundorf silver/gold as the umbilical as well as all the internal wiring in the DC4. This wire is a lot more “solid” and harder to bend than the Neotech copper and keeps its shape.

I purchased two sets of the Center Stage 2.0 footers (for DAVE and DC4) and was planning to place the Dave on top of the DC4 which would allow me to have the shortest umbilical cords possible. the CS2 footers would take care of any vibrations from the DC4 transformer so they would not effect the DAVE. Once the footers come in, I’ll test to see how it sounds stacked vs separated.

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #16,867 of 26,005

Your thoughts are interesting. Do you use the same configuration for the 3 core +/- 15V / 0V dc cables and for the 2 core + 5v / 0V cables?

I have posted of my experiences with the DC cables to the Dave and the thrust of my objectives has been to stop as far as possible making aerials out of the dc cables because the dc cables are directly connected to the sensitive boards within the Dave. I have therefore gone in the direction of well shielded dc cables. I have to say that your dc cable configuration is the absolute opposite of where my gut instinct would take me . . . :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #16,868 of 26,005
Your thoughts are interesting. Do you use the same configuration for the 3 core +/- 15V / 0V dc cables and for the 2 core + 5v / 0V cables?

I have posted of my experiences with the DC cables to the Dave and the thrust of my objectives has been to stop as far as possible making aerials out of the dc cables because the dc cables are directly connected to the sensitive boards within the Dave. I have therefore gone in the direction of well shielded dc cables. I have to say that your dc cable configuration is the absolute opposite of where my gut instinct would take me . . . :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
TU yes same config and I think your observation is likely well founded regarding "I have therefore gone in the direction of well shielded dc cables"

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #16,869 of 26,005
Hello Dave,

This is great info. Can you please share some pics. I’m trying to picture what it looks like.

I’m using the Mundorf silver/gold as the umbilical as well as all the internal wiring in the DC4. This wire is a lot more “solid” and harder to bend than the Neotech copper and keeps its shape.

I purchased two sets of the Center Stage 2.0 footers (for DAVE and DC4) and was planning to place the Dave on top of the DC4 which would allow me to have the shortest umbilical cords possible. the CS2 footers would take care of any vibrations from the DC4 transformer so they would not effect the DAVE. Once the footers come in, I’ll test to see how it sounds stacked vs separated.
onlychild it is pretty dark where the cables are so not easy to provide a photo. Just picture a 2" wide ladder with 4 steps. My spec is standard DC4 spec with Gold for power connection.

Mar 8, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #16,870 of 26,005
Hello Dave,

Hi

I have been thinking of getting the silver/gold cable. What differences did you notice?

Mar 9, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #16,871 of 26,005
Hi

I have been thinking of getting the silver/gold cable. What differences did you notice?
At some point guys will get bored with us talking about the DC4 in the Dave thread but just to say that Sean created the DC4 as a ‘no expense spared best he can build’ project so if he had thought that silver/gold dc cable was better then it would already be in the DC4. I discussed this with him on the telephone late last year.

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #16,872 of 26,005
So are u using the stock cable, Nick?

PS I heard from a birdie that Rob Watts is right now designing another box to enhance the MScaler.... Do you think it is true? What could it be? My guess is a clock....

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #16,873 of 26,005
So are u using the stock cable, Nick?

PS I heard from a birdie that Rob Watts is right now designing another box to enhance the MScaler.... Do you think it is true? What could it be? My guess is a clock....
No way Rob would ever design external clock. His statement was something like "using external clock to feed DAC is nonsense".
Secondly m scaler doesn't have external clock input.

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #16,874 of 26,005
Well, if it is true that he is designing something to supplement Mscaler, what do you think it could be? It could be a false rumor, but there are empty buttons on the Mscaler which the manual also mentions are for future products....

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #16,875 of 26,005
Enhance? I hope you mean functionality rather than sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back