CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 13, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #16,891 of 26,005
You do not need an outboard amplifier with the HD 800 headphones. If you don’t like the signature of the HD 800, you will be better served by buying a different headphone than spending more on an amplifier. The HD 800 is a storied headphone and I have bought and sold the HD 800 S and HD 800 more times than probably anyone.

I might have a slightly different view on this. I believe in fact that the HD800 is, still to this day, one of the most tonally neutral and transparent headphones around. At least among the ones I've tried (which are the vast majority of the high-end headphones of the last 6/7 years). I find that these characters, tonal neutrality and transparency, make it for a relatively easy headphone to fine-tune, should you not totally get along with the way it sounds. I'm all for analytical sound and, as such, have always enjoyed the way it is, even combined with other relatively "dry" gear (e.g. DAVE, XI Audio Formula S, etc.). But over time I've also had the chance to test it in combo to a range of other sources and found fairly easy to, for example, lose a tad of the hyper-detail in the highs, in order to make mids and low frequencies reacher and smoother. Try to combine an HD800 with a Violectric V281 for example or a Viva or, as in my main current setup, a Riviera AIC-10 (with the right triode valve - e.g. most of the Mullards).

In my experience, the only aspects of the HD800 which are difficult, virtually impossible, to correct are its total lack of any "visceral" bass reproduction, which actually affects most of the high-end headphones (with possibly the only exception being the Abyss 1266). Or the sometimes unnatural representation of the soundstage (while the hyper extended stage of the HD800 goes well with, for example, classical music, it doesn't necessarily fit equally well the most intimate jazz music - where the stage, in real life, is typically only a few meters long and not the tenth meters which an actual philharmonic orchestra takes..).

Mar 13, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #16,892 of 26,005
Firstly, apologies as I suspect this topic Has been discussed several times previously, but I was hoping to perhaps get some more specific advice. As my son prepares to go to university my wife and I are downsizing resulting in my new allocated listening room being substantially smaller that my current one. So much so that I think I need to move exclusively to a headphone setup. I have just blindly ordered a set of 800s headphones. i have no previous headphone experience, so my question is will I need a headphone amp with my Dave? I currently use the Dave as a pre-amp in my speaker system and love That setup, so just wondering why do people buy separate headphone amps to accompany Dave and what does it bring to the sound? Is it a similar debate as to whether to run Dave with a preamp or not? Thanks
Others might disagree but I’ve not found my Dave to be compelling as a headphone amplifier. I love the DAC, especially when coupled with the M-scaler. That’s how I listen to it. The preamp feature is convenient but it doesn’t begin to compare to the sound you can get from a high end preamp (I use an Audio Research Ref balanced tube preamp). Chord itself offers several preamplifiers at different price points. I also have the Sennheiser 800S, the newer model snd I generally use the Sony TA-HZ1ES, which drives it far better than the Dave (for one, the Sony has a balanced headphone output conductor, which makes a significant difference with the 800S). But, if you want to economize for space and cost, you can always use the headphone output on the Dave. I don’t since I didn’t find the sound very compelling. It feels like an afterthought to me, like those Sony CD players where they threw in a headphone output. If I was a full time headphone listener and that time may be coming sooner than I’m imagining, when we too downsize to a smaller house or apartment, I’ll be facing the same issue. Stick with the Dave and its less than stellar headphone capabilities or get something really better than even my Sony unit, like a tubed Woo Audio headphone preamp. The Woo’s can be a bit noisy depending on the NOS tubes you get.

Mar 13, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #16,894 of 26,005
I think the dave drives HP's like the utopia and others easily but falls short on anything much beyond...

Mar 13, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #16,895 of 26,005
Firstly, apologies as I suspect this topic Has been discussed several times previously, but I was hoping to perhaps get some more specific advice. As my son prepares to go to university my wife and I are downsizing resulting in my new allocated listening room being substantially smaller that my current one. So much so that I think I need to move exclusively to a headphone setup. I have just blindly ordered a set of 800s headphones. i have no previous headphone experience, so my question is will I need a headphone amp with my Dave? I currently use the Dave as a pre-amp in my speaker system and love That setup, so just wondering why do people buy separate headphone amps to accompany Dave and what does it bring to the sound? Is it a similar debate as to whether to run Dave with a preamp or not? Thanks

I would generally agree with everyone that just starting out it would be just fine as you get settled into the headphone hobby to just use the HD800S with the Dave. If you aren't loving what you're hearing however, I would absolutely try an external amp behind the Dave before selling the HD800S off (ultimately, long term I would absolutely have a beefier amp + the Dave with them anyway). Also, The HD800S is one of the more niche headphones imo which is best suited for particular genres (jazz, classical, acoustic etc) and sound preferences tailored towards clarity and detail, with a slightly brighter tonality. I only mention this since you're brand new.. just don't give up on the HD800S too quick if you don't love it out of the Dave, and if you try an external amp and it still isn't for you, just know there are plenty of other top tier headphones out there that are much different.

Welcome to the hobby. :)

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #16,896 of 26,005
Interested in how HD800s will sound straight out of the Dave as well...
My Dave is arriving in a few days and can't wait to try my HD800s and MDR-Z1R on it.

I'm hearing lots of good things about the Dave so I'm hoping I can be wowed as well.

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #16,897 of 26,005
Interested in how HD800s will sound straight out of the Dave as well...
My Dave is arriving in a few days and can't wait to try my HD800s and MDR-Z1R on it.

I'm hearing lots of good things about the Dave so I'm hoping I can be wowed as well.

And I am interested to hear what YOU think, I personally like it. Would like to know how you get on with your Sony’s too.

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #16,898 of 26,005
I've been hearing Dave + HD800s to sound overly cold and thus not a great pairing.
I love analytical and transparent sound with every detail just attacking your skull.

Will definitely report back when it arrives and I put it to the test.

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #16,900 of 26,005
...looks like you are going to love the DAVE/HD800s combo :)

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #16,901 of 26,005
I've been hearing Dave + HD800s to sound overly cold and thus not a great pairing.
I love analytical and transparent sound with every detail just attacking your skull.

Will definitely report back when it arrives and I put it to the test.

...looks like you are going to love the DAVE/HD800s combo :)

Mar 14, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #16,902 of 26,005
I agree. Though I never fully enjoyed the HD 800 or HD 800 S with my Eddie Current Balancing Act, Black Widow 2, Simaudio MOON 430HAD, or Sehheneiser's own HDV820. I turned the page with the Focal Utopia and its stunning with the DAVE.

Mar 14, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #16,903 of 26,005
I agree. Though I never fully enjoyed the HD 800 or HD 800 S with my Eddie Current Balancing Act, Black Widow 2, Simaudio MOON 430HAD, or Sehheneiser's own HDV820. I turned the page with the Focal Utopia and its stunning with the DAVE.

I have demoed at home Utopia and Empyrean’s, and still liked the 800S’s better. Horses for courses!

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #16,904 of 26,005
I concur, the utopia works beautifully with the dave without an external amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back