CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 27, 2024 at 1:43 AM Post #25,936 of 26,005
It's still on my radar and under consideration. The crux was I needed a second dac anyway (have for almost 3 years now). So I got a used Lampizator Pacific (which is just absolutely incredible). But I want to seriously A/B the Dave and Pacific before making a decision to have it modded. Mainly for my own understanding and to ensure it's the right path to move forward. I've already done a light bit of A/B'ing (just a few sessions, have mainly only been listening to the Lampi) and the Pacific will definitely be my primary dac going forward, although totally open to the chance the mods could challenge that.

I was considering selling and keeping it stock for that purpose, but I think I'm now leaning against that. I really like the idea of keeping the dave/mscaler if even in my second (speaker) system. Will definitely come knocking on your door if/when I take the leap on the mods. :)
I am really interested in your comparison when DAVE goes swimming in the Pacific :). Do you have both at your place right now?

May 27, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #25,937 of 26,005
A bref comparison between the Tambaqui and the Dave?
Well, Mola is giving nice , detailed, big soundstage. Vocals are nice as well and a bit pushed back compared to Dave. Mola gives you more or less always the same picture in dimensions, after some time songs may sound too predictive. But don't get me wrong, its very pleasant to listen, and has zero fatigue with all songs, and i mean really all.

But here Dave comes with its way how it produces instruments and live recordings. Its unmatched. It gives you feeling and emotions of instruments. Also vocals are so present and big. And to my taste i like zoomed vocals, sounding big and very detailed. And somehow DAVE can surprise each and every time when listening to same and new songs. I mean it shows surprises in instrument reproduction, scene and etc. Also Dave is much faster and snappier, and has more bass and sub-bass with far better extension.

If there would be no Dave i would have been using Mola for sure. But it needs headphone amp and etc. There were several songs where Mola's picture was the best i've ever experienced. Really, its was Mazzy Star - Fade into you. It was so perfect rendering. But that's exclusive example.

Afterall it's what you prefer. I prefer Dave for its surprises and emotions. And feeling singer voice right into your shoulder.

With Dave you are within music (especially with Scaler)
With Mola you are looking at scene

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #25,938 of 26,005
I doubt Mola Mola is an upgrade to Dave. No way. Except for the looks, maybe :)
Ok, but why people sell the Dave?
What’s the next upgrade?
I have seen like 5-6 Daves for sale this spring.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #25,943 of 26,005
This ^. Or maybe a wish for something new. And I guess there are dacs out there that are equal to DAVE or even ‚better‘. But better is just a matter of taste in this price region. Lampizator, APL, Wadax, DCS could come to mind for a change of sound signature.
But the Tambaqui has a streamer built in for the same price point. I see people changing for convenience, but I doubt that the Tambaqui is really ‚better‘ than Dave.

May 27, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #25,944 of 26,005
I think Rob’s design goals have always been transparency … add nothing, subtract nothing, but we’re all different …if Dave plus the new scaler is the ultimate in transparency and you prefer something else that’s fine, but instead of just swapping and changing add a top quality headphone amp or preamp for speaker setups and use Dave in DAC mode … even tube units for those who want to fine tune their listening experience with some tube rolling … much cheaper than constantly swapping out expensive gear … seems we’ve gone full circle, Hifi gear used to be all separates to isolate their circuits, power conversion etc and allowed some “mix n match” fine tuning … now it seems a DAC that includes a preamp, headphone amp and streamer built in is the way of the future … 🤔

May 27, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #25,945 of 26,005
Do you have the contacts? I thought of getting one and upgrading to the Ultra Dac in the far future. Thanks!
Try to search classified here or US Audio Mart

May 27, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #25,946 of 26,005
Set your sites higher than either, or be happy one owns either. Just sayin

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #25,947 of 26,005
Well, Mola is giving nice , detailed, big soundstage. Vocals are nice as well and a bit pushed back compared to Dave. Mola gives you more or less always the same picture in dimensions, after some time songs may sound too predictive. But don't get me wrong, its very pleasant to listen, and has zero fatigue with all songs, and i mean really all.

But here Dave comes with its way how it produces instruments and live recordings. Its unmatched. It gives you feeling and emotions of instruments. Also vocals are so present and big. And to my taste i like zoomed vocals, sounding big and very detailed. And somehow DAVE can surprise each and every time when listening to same and new songs. I mean it shows surprises in instrument reproduction, scene and etc. Also Dave is much faster and snappier, and has more bass and sub-bass with far better extension.

If there would be no Dave i would have been using Mola for sure. But it needs headphone amp and etc. There were several songs where Mola's picture was the best i've ever experienced. Really, its was Mazzy Star - Fade into you. It was so perfect rendering. But that's exclusive example.

Afterall it's what you prefer. I prefer Dave for its surprises and emotions. And feeling singer voice right into your shoulder.

Thanks, very nice description!

May 27, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #25,948 of 26,005

What about Berkley Audio DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back