CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 10, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #16,351 of 25,845
Guys, I had my DAVE for about half a year or so only, and the bottom right side of my display screen on the DAVE just stopped working altogether. Inside the circular main display, there are 4 square sections, my bottom right section is completely off while the other 3 square sections (top 2, and bottom left) are all displaying properly.

Anyone else run into this issue, and I am assuming the warranty will be a HUGE hassle for both myself and the dealer I purchased from correct?

Update: I tried turning off the power button on the rear of the DAVE (after turning DAVE off from remote first) and now when turning the device back on, the screen will not display and the DAVE will not turn on period.

Any idea what is going on and anyone else in similar situation? I plugged in my DAVE the day I unboxed and never touched it/moved it ever since so this is quite alarming for a 6 months old product.

If any fellow DAVE owners can give some advice, please share, appreciated in advance.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #16,352 of 25,845
Guys, I had my DAVE for about half a year or so only, and the bottom right side of my display screen on the DAVE just stopped working altogether. Inside the circular main display, there are 4 square sections, my bottom right section is completely off while the other 3 square sections (top 2, and bottom left) are all displaying properly.

Anyone else run into this issue, and I am assuming the warranty will be a HUGE hassle for both myself and the dealer I purchased from correct?

Update: I tried turning off the power button on the rear of the DAVE (after turning DAVE off from remote first) and now when turning the device back on, the screen will not display and the DAVE will not turn on period.

Any idea what is going on and anyone else in similar situation? I plugged in my DAVE the day I unboxed and never touched it/moved it ever since so this is quite alarming for a 6 months old product.

If any fellow DAVE owners can give some advice, please share, appreciated in advance.
I would send an email to your Dealer to contact Chord to resolve this problem.

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #16,353 of 25,845

I know this is going to sound bizarre, but it has worked for me with other equipment. Turn off at the remote, turn the switch off at the back, and unplug the power lead from the back of DAVE. Leave some minutes and try again.

Dec 10, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #16,354 of 25,845
Warranty repairs were pretty straightforward from Chord, my dealer and the former US/Canadian distributor Bluebird. So if it’s truly broken, I don’t think it’ll be as big of a hassle as you think. But then yes, whenever anything needs warranty repair, it’s a hassle.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #16,355 of 25,845
Warranty repairs were pretty straightforward from Chord, my dealer and the former US/Canadian distributor Bluebird. So if it’s truly broken, I don’t think it’ll be as big of a hassle as you think. But then yes, whenever anything needs warranty repair, it’s a hassle.
Whether you are covered by Chord or Dealer warranty or not, at the end of the day only Chord Electronics will be able to fix your DAVE particularly if it's a digital / chip / programme issue. If I was you, I would plan to have your DAVE returned back to Chord Electronics in the UK ASAP to fix it if you already have tried turning unit off then on again etc. as JTbbb mentioned earlier and it hasn't solved the issue.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #16,356 of 25,845
Whether you are covered by Chord or Dealer warranty or not, at the end of the day only Chord Electronics will be able to fix your DAVE particularly if it's a digital / chip / programme issue. If I was you, I would plan to have your DAVE returned back to Chord Electronics in the UK ASAP to fix it if you already have tried turning unit off then on again etc. as JTbbb mentioned earlier and it hasn't solved the issue.
In the interim, send your Dealer an email explaining the problem in detail to send onto Chord and see if Chord return with a reply that may fix your DAVE without you having to send it back to them.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #16,357 of 25,845
Looking at these recent posts, it brings the following to mind. I have seven Chord products, and three of them have had to go back for repairs, including a Dave. Two had the problems out of the box. Meanwhile I have not had significant issues with other equipment. What have others experienced?

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #16,358 of 25,845
The only problems I had was software / firmware issues of the Poly and the 2Go which also uses old tech Wifi that cannot make use of my 10Gbits high speed internet at home.

But all the Chord DAC’s have worked fine, never had a problem with them.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #16,359 of 25,845

Email support@chordelectronics.co.uk and ask their advice first.
The official RMA process is dealer first, then they forward the equipment to either the approved service centre for the country, or to chord.

Dec 10, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #16,360 of 25,845
What have others experienced?
My original Hugo 1 had a faulty HD USB input right out of the box.The standard USB worked fine, but I was pulling my hair out trying to get high res files to play. I took my IPad to my dealer to try it on the other Hugo he had, and it worked instantly. We swapped Hugo’s, and he sent the faulty one back to Chord.

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #16,361 of 25,845
Looking at these recent posts, it brings the following to mind. I have seven Chord products, and three of them have had to go back for repairs, including a Dave. Two had the problems out of the box. Meanwhile I have not had significant issues with other equipment. What have others experienced?
As a recent entrant to the world of Chord, these reports do concern me. I bought a Blu II and the Dave a few months ago. I primarily use the Blu for its M-scaler. The transport is flaky and simply too unreliable to use, at least my sample. I have the combo hooked up through the Waveform BNC cables, which made a larger difference than the EE engineer in me would like to believe. I view my purchase of these exotic products as an act of lunacy, even though I do enjoy their sound. Chord digital is bleeding edge. The M-scaler in the Blu II uses massive number crunching through a hot running DSP to implement the Watt filter with its million taps. This might explain why it is prone to failure. My former EE DSP professor would roll her eyes if I told her how it works. Most academics would consider this design with the same scorn that they would a fancy Patek Phillipe analog watch, which can cost many tens of thousands of dollars, yet tells the time no more accurately than a $10 Walmart Casio wristwatch. Does the Dave really sound that much better than a Chinese made Topping DAC, which costs $600 and gives you all resolutions up to DSD 512? I worry about the potential resale value of the Dave given these reports. I’d be very unhappy to have to return my unit for warranty repairs. As it is, I expect my Blu II would have to go back at some point since it seems really unreliable as a CD transport.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #16,362 of 25,845
Just had to send my new TT2 in for service because it errors out on the power up sequence, right out of the box.

I have owned numerous Chord products before, some pre-owned, yet this is the first issue I've encountered. I blame COVID.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #16,363 of 25,845
As a recent entrant to the world of Chord, these reports do concern me. I bought a Blu II and the Dave a few months ago. I primarily use the Blu for its M-scaler. The transport is flaky and simply too unreliable to use, at least my sample. I have the combo hooked up through the Waveform BNC cables, which made a larger difference than the EE engineer in me would like to believe. I view my purchase of these exotic products as an act of lunacy, even though I do enjoy their sound. Chord digital is bleeding edge. The M-scaler in the Blu II uses massive number crunching through a hot running DSP to implement the Watt filter with its million taps. This might explain why it is prone to failure. My former EE DSP professor would roll her eyes if I told her how it works. Most academics would consider this design with the same scorn that they would a fancy Patek Phillipe analog watch, which can cost many tens of thousands of dollars, yet tells the time no more accurately than a $10 Walmart Casio wristwatch. Does the Dave really sound that much better than a Chinese made Topping DAC, which costs $600 and gives you all resolutions up to DSD 512? I worry about the potential resale value of the Dave given these reports. I’d be very unhappy to have to return my unit for warranty repairs. As it is, I expect my Blu II would have to go back at some point since it seems really unreliable as a CD transport.
I wouldnt worry too much the dave is considered one of the very best DAC's made and as good as it gets in its price range....

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #16,364 of 25,845

I feel your pain bro, although I don’t have a dave, I do have a few chord products and, although they sound good, QC / QA is horrible.

Returning things to them is a no go, it has to go via your dealer, which in my case made my dealer travel 130 or so miles to pick my TT2 up and the same again for taking a repaired one back to me.

Good sounding music that costs ££££’s shouldn’t need to be like this. I will put it like this, I’ve had 3 mojo’s, 2 polys, and a TT2 repaired, the mojos I took back to the store, the poly was a chord recall due to a cold bug, and my TT2 started sounding like a grandfather clock. I think my Hugo 2 worked ok, but I would have to ask the foolish buyer who bought it from me if it is still working.

One thing thats for sure is, I will never buy anything Chord again, as again, although they sound good, deep down they are pieces of schiit.

And I don’t mean that to be a slur on Rob or Chord, it’s just how it is, for example, say you always shopped at asda and always got schiit stuff, you don’t stick with them due to misguided loyalty, no, you go to aldi and get better products for less money.

A better example is, you buy a new car and say it breaks down every six months and you take it back to the dealer and they “fix it” for you as its under warranty, but yet 3 months later it breaks again and continuous to do so every few months, you get pissed off and you dump the pos and trade it in for a different brand of car

Again, I’m not trying to take the piss out of rob or chord, as robs work is of a high standard with his theory of taps, it’s just that their products have serious issues with long term survivability. That is due to always trying to rush new products out the door every 18 months. When they really should be trying to find and fix the faults of their products that are out there already.

Anyway, don‘t let my post get you down, dave 2 is only 18 months away :D

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #16,365 of 25,845
Jay's review reflects his characteristic enthusiasm for products he likes, and in this forum, we should keep in mind he is talking broadly. When asked about Dave specifically, Jay says he does find improvement but without elaborating.

I also like the Phoenix–a lot, but I don't find it quite as transformative with Dave. Nevertheless, for me, it is a case where, having invited it into my system, there is no way it is leaving. I think its benefits are probably due equally to the Sean Jacobs power supply and the actual reclocking/regenerating architecture. The digital side does what the reviews describe, but the SJ power supply adds a clean, analog fullness which is very welcome for Dave. (Also, it should be made clear that the Phoenix has nothing to do with the signal timing for Dave's masterclock. It is reclocking the USB data packets.)

Anyone interested should really have a listen for themselves to decide if the improvements are worth the high cost. However, it is hard to argue that the Dave is the one DAC that the Phoenix can't impact. Certainly the argument can be made technically, but for myself, I agree with Srajan Ebaen in his 6Moons review of the Phoenix:

"For those who'd invoke their DAC's galvanically isolated USB transceiver to claim no possible use or need for such devices, I'll say that I haven't yet met a USB DAC which didn't benefit from an external reclocker."

If you've already read Jay's and Darko's reviews, Srajan's review, as well as Dawid Grzyb's at HiFiKnights, are well worth reading.

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/innuos2/
http://hifiknights.com/reviews/accessories/innuos-phoenixusb/

My Phoenix arrived yesterday. I was pretty knackered after work last night (having taken my son out shopping for ski boots, shopping for and cooking dinner, etc) so wasn't motivated to unbox and plug it in. Just before bedtime I thought the least I can do is to make the effort to plug it in and let it warm up overnight so that it was ready to go this evening. Having done that I thought I'd have a quick listen. 1.5 hrs later I was still listening. From the first minute of listening I could tell that the Phoenix was having a huge effect on my system (Zenith mk3, MScaler, Dave) for the better. I'd read all the reviews available online and it does everything they say this unit does, but the one thing that stood out for me was the improvement in the timing. It had my feet tapping along to the music which for me is one of the major things that separates sound from music. Previously I'd been listening to my digital setup and thinking this sounds really nice but I didn't quite feel the level of engagement that I felt I should. For me, by adding the Phoenix the engagement was there and sound became real music. PRat rules! Highly recommended!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back