CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 13, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #16,366 of 25,909
Had to share this:

Was playing the hifi yesterday and my wife was singing along. Later she said when are you going to play something I like? I said I thought you liked those songs, you sing along to them whenever I play them. She said no, its your flipping hifi, I can't stop myself! ...............seems to me a good test of whether a hifi is playing it right.:slight_smile:

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #16,367 of 25,909
A couple of months after adding a decent network player to my Dave/Utopia and enjoying a significant and not-so-expected improvement, I pushed myself further in the improvement of the digital input quality and purchased an UpTone EtherREGEN.

The long story short is: this is the best SQ I have ever heard out of my DAVE.

The ER arrived yesterday and I immediately connected it and went over my favorite tracks. The result was that I spent 4+ hours listening to my music. I couldn't get enough.
As you know this is always a good sign, if the music is felt as more natural and life-like and you just enjoy it it's always a good sign.

This morning I added back my previous switch (Netgear GS108) and managed some A/B (thanks @Roasty for the suggestions on the connection).
With my big surprise I could confirm without any doubt that moving from the Netgear to the EtherREGEN made a difference which is comparable (if not bigger) to the one I got moving from PC to Lumin U1 Mini to feed the DAVE. For almost 1/4 of the price...
It was like adding life into music, lifting another veil towards that "being there" feeling. I am really, really happy, the best 600$ spent on my system!!

I had a previous experience some years ago with an AQVOX but the improvements with the ER are of a different magnitude. To be fair to the German switch though, the system was different so I can't really compare them.

Note: I am not in any way associated with UpTone Audio and the impressions above are my 100% genuine feedback.

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #16,368 of 25,909
Similar experience upgrading switches and power supplies for them. Seems to be a crucial aspect of streaming digital.

Dec 14, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #16,369 of 25,909
A couple of months after adding a decent network player to my Dave/Utopia and enjoying a significant and not-so-expected improvement, I pushed myself further in the improvement of the digital input quality and purchased an UpTone EtherREGEN.

The ER arrived yesterday and I immediately connected it and went over my favorite tracks. The result was that I spent 4+ hours listening to my music. I couldn't get enough.
As you know this is always a good sign, if the music is felt as more natural and life-like and you just enjoy it it's always a good sign.

This morning I added back my previous switch (Netgear GS108) and managed some A/B (thanks @Roasty for the suggestions on the connection).
With my big surprise I could confirm without any doubt that moving from the Netgear to the EtherREGEN made a difference which is comparable (if not bigger) to the one I got moving from PC to Lumin U1 Mini to feed the DAVE. For almost 1/4 of the price...
It was like adding life into music, lifting another veil towards that "being there" feeling. I am really, really happy, the best 600$ spent on my system!!

I had a previous experience some years ago with an AQVOX but the improvements with the ER are of a different magnitude. To be fair to the German switch though, the system was different so I can't really compare them.

Note: I am not in any way associated with UpTone Audio and the impressions above are my 100% genuine feedback.
Glad to hear it works for you! I tried it too, but unfortunately it did not work well for me - it made the connection unstable - and I had to return it.

Dec 14, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #16,370 of 25,909
Glad to hear it works for you! I tried it too, but unfortunately it did not work well for me - it made the connection unstable - and I had to return it.
When I first connected it after a couple of songs the Lumin gave me a Network Error message. I switched everything off, including router and telecom box and then on again in the same order of the signal path: telecom box, router, ER, Lumin, Dave.
After that I used it for hours without any issues.

I’m sorry to hear it didn’t work for you.

Dec 14, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #16,371 of 25,909
When I first connected it after a couple of songs the Lumin gave me a Network Error message. I switched everything off, including router and telecom box and then on again in the same order of the signal path: telecom box, router, ER, Lumin, Dave.
After that I used it for hours without any issues.

I’m sorry to hear it didn’t work for you.
Yes, I got similar messages. I hope it remains stable in your system. I got the advice to switch it around, i.e. connect the streamer to the A side and the network to the B side, which is apparently a viable route. It did make the connection more stable, but there were still dropouts so I gave up.

Dec 14, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #16,372 of 25,909
Dec 14, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #16,373 of 25,909
Sorry for the off topic post but these test results on bi-wiring compared to single wiring for loudspeaker connection are a real eye opener for me.

I thought it may interest others here too.

https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/blog/2016/06/08/bi-wiring-speakers-exploration-benefits/
I bi-wired my Totem Forest speakers with Audioquest Rocket 33 cables. The difference was noticeable, but the real validation was that my wife (NOT an audiophile) also immediately noticed the difference. If you knew my wife, you’d be ordering cables right after reading this.

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #16,374 of 25,909

I just ordered one for late Jan 2021 delivery. The 30 day money back guarantee was the decider for me. It'll be interesting to see if it makes a difference to my digital setup which has an Innuos Phoenix, which already includes a clock.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #16,375 of 25,909
I just ordered one for late Jan 2021 delivery. The 30 day money back guarantee was the decider for me. It'll be interesting to see if it makes a difference to my digital setup which has an Innuos Phoenix, which already includes a clock.
I hope you'll hear the improvements I did, let us know how it goes.
On a different note I wanted to show you how enjoyable is to use a wide gaming monitor for Roon. 75 albums in one screen!!
5ED9BD36-C09E-4E05-AC1A-64DCB88A186E.jpeg

Dec 17, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #16,376 of 25,909
Airborne RF is not a problem at all for Dave - that's why it is in a solid block of machined aluminium. No RF can get in or out - except via the mains supply and I/O's. The mains supply is extremely well RF filtered, and all IO's are carefully treated for RF.

What about 2Qute and airborne RF? I use it with Airport Express currently.

Dec 17, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #16,378 of 25,909
To be on the safe side I removed any WiFi emission in the room. Everything is connected with the LAN

I could arrange that, provided it really improves performance – will require purchasing some extra gear to connect all hard-drives in chain without wireless.

Dec 17, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #16,379 of 25,909
Dec 17, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #16,380 of 25,909
Interested if anyone has got experience / advice using a headphone amp with your DAVE.

Was reading about Monolith / Cavalli Liquid Gold / Platinum and the Manley Absolute and wondered - is there any benefit to be had using them with a DAVE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back