CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 7, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #13,411 of 25,865
I'd be interested to see how you get on with the further experimentation - I think there is a whole world of possibilities. I expect the success of any footer design to be highly affected by the surface it is resting on.

Sounds like the Ingres rollerballs can outperform the Black Ravilolis, but I won't be rushing out to buy the rollerballs just yet - a 2-piece solution that includes a ball bearing is the sort of thing that will go wrong in my household, especially when I'm often moving stuff around my hifi rack. I can just imagine a ball bearing shooting off across the floor and rolling under the heaviest piece of furniture in my room (this sort of thing really does happen to me).

The Ingres designer reckons the (low frequency) vibrations, that his rollerballs are trying to reduce, are caused by earth itself (transmitting both natural and man-made vibrations). Which may or may not be true - it's not really something that can easily be verified either way. But it does attempt to answer my earlier question of what is the source of vibration that that impacts SQ in DAVE and similar products?
Is any vibration discussion relevant to headphone only users? The vibration from leakage of sound via headphones can’t really have a major impact on DAVE’s SQ could it?

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #13,412 of 25,865
[SIZE=14px said:
The Ingres designer reckons the (low frequency) vibrations, that his rollerballs are trying to reduce, are caused by earth itself (transmitting both natural and man-made vibrations). Which may or may not be true - it's not really something that can easily be verified either way. But it does attempt to answer my earlier question of what is the source of vibration that that impacts SQ in DAVE and similar products?
[/SIZE]

The Townshend Seismic Isolation products purport to do the same thing. They have one product that can work with existing racks. http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi...-isolation/seismic-isolation-support-corners/. I got the Seismic Pods which are a bit cheaper for my subs and speakers to good effect. I use the older version of Solid Tech Feet of Silence for DAVE/BLU2 with rubber O-rings rather than the newer ones with metal springs but I think the principle is the same; 3 dimensional freedom of movement.

Aug 7, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #13,413 of 25,865
Is any vibration discussion relevant to headphone only users? The vibration from leakage of sound via headphones can’t really have a major impact on DAVE’s SQ could it?

I think the vibration is natural seismic activity and not related to the music playing out loud so yes; it can work with headphones only systems as well. Always try before purchase as all systems are different. Perhaps they are more effective in places like San Francisco:)

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #13,414 of 25,865
FWIW, I recently added some Ingress Audio Level 3 rollerball isolation cups to my DAVE. (See http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm for Barry Diament’s original write up)

I already had a Acoustic Revive TB-38H stand and Black Ravioli pads, so I was expecting a very minor to negligible SQ change by adding some horizontal vibration isolation.

I was absolutely shocked. This was one of the biggest SQ impacts I’ve ever heard in my system. When the audio group was over, much startled cussing was heard (What?!?) after I put the isolation bowls in.

I can’t say how unique the positive impact is to my set up (need to experiment in a couple other setups to say), but now I am a true believer in mechanical isolation (holy crap!!)

MUCH more experimentation to come.

For other Dave owners, a quickie experiment with marbles and porcelain dishes may be worthwhile to see if it is worth your while to invest in some custom machined bowls (Id love to hear what your hear)

Your timing couldn’t be better Ray. Vibration control was the next thing on my list to tackle. Any chance you are using the Lvl3’s with you Dave on the Chord Choral stand? Pics if possible?

I don’t think they will work with the stand.

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #13,415 of 25,865

Yes, it is very relevant to headphones users. As I said in my earlier post, I'm a headphones-only HMS/DAVE user, so the usual explanation "it must be the loudspeakers" does not apply.
AC mains and transformers can and do cause vibration, but HMS has a DC input, so it's not that.
Individual components can themselves vibrate - e.g. my battery powered laptop's motherboard buzzes when under higher loads - presumably it's the CPU.

So "mother earth" is as good/daft an explantion as anything else - low level vibrations do transmit readily through solild building structures, but even so, it's still a mystery to me why such low levels could possibly impact the SQ of hifi components.

I think sound leakage from headphones is even less plausable than mother earth - it couldn't possibly be the headphones :)

Aug 8, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #13,417 of 25,865
211795BF-03DA-4449-B6C6-29CC83C62257.jpeg 0391FFE0-BAE6-4A0C-ACE6-BC634786F55B.jpeg

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #13,420 of 25,865
Aug 8, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #13,421 of 25,865
The subject of isolation is curious. For example, one member in this thread experimented with low and high-cost isolation devices and boasted about audible improvements. The same member later switched to the Chord Ensemble stands and remarked he couldn't hear any difference between them and his previous isolation platform. So which is it? The Ensemble stands were designed for stacking and aesthetics but not to address vibration (hence why there is no mention of vibration or isolation on the Chord website). Draw your own conclusions about the effectiveness of isolation products.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #13,423 of 25,865
I had the opportunity to audition the Quadraspire QPLUS Reference Supports installed underneath a DAVE at a recent UK HiFi show. I was so impressed with the difference that they made (improved sound stage, more detail and better defined bass) that I've decided to go the whole hog and ordered an X-Reference HiFi rack.
https://quadraspire.co.uk/hifi-supports.html

I agree; I have Quadraspire QPLUS Advanced under Dave and Blu and the difference is felt.

Aug 10, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #13,424 of 25,865
Quick question to anyone who has experience. Do power cables make a significant difference with the Dave? Currently eyeing a Naim Powerline or Siltech Ruby Mountain II

Not sure if you have made a purchase on a cable yet but the SHUNYATA are highly rated by a few Dave owners but at a cost.
They have recently released the new SHUNYATA VENOM NR-V12 & NR-V10 at a more affordable price which may be worth a look?

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #13,425 of 25,865
Does the Mscalar introduce latency?

I use the Chord Dave in combination with my TV (as it provides streaming functionality for the Chord Dave for free basically) via optical.

It would be a waste if the Chord Dave would strictly be useful for only streaming music if the Mscalar introduces latency.

I still have a Mscalar on order for more than 1 year, but I am really close to cancel it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back