CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 26, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #13,007 of 25,873
Hi All. Picking up my DAVE at the dealer on Friday. My source is a BlueSound Node 2. Good to go with the stock optical cable or worthwhile to invest in a compatible optical cable? Thanks in advance for your feedback :)

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #13,008 of 25,873
Hi All. Picking up my DAVE at the dealer on Friday. My source is a BlueSound Node 2. Good to go with the stock optical cable or worthwhile to invest in a compatible optical cable? Thanks in advance for your feedback :)
The supplied TOSLINK cable is made by Pro-Signal and it costs $2.27.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #13,009 of 25,873
The supplied TOSLINK cable is made by Pro-Signal and it costs $2.27.

Thank you for your reply :) Am wondering if there are any performance gains with a more $ cable. I have an Audioquest Diamond optical but I read that it's performance is limited to 96 due to socket incompatibility.

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #13,010 of 25,873
Thank you for your reply :) Am wondering if there are any performance gains with a more $ cable. I have an Audioquest Diamond optical but I read that it's performance is limited to 96 due to socket incompatibility.

I used a Lifatec cable successfully in the past, doesn't break the bank either: http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #13,011 of 25,873
Feb 26, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #13,012 of 25,873
Any other recommendations for a high quality optical cable to use with a BlueSound Node2 ? Mainstream brands are easier to score on short notice as I'm in Europe :wink:.

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #13,013 of 25,873
Any other recommendations for a high quality optical cable to use with a BlueSound Node2 ? Mainstream brands are easier to score on short notice as I'm in Europe :wink:.

Kabeldirekt from amazon is normally recommended as Rob W himself use (Edit: used?) one of their cables he said (their optical). I have one to my Chromecast Audio. I also have a Sysconcept 24/192 from Canada from my CD transport that arrived quickly and is cheaper than lifatec I think but have not compared (but sounds much better to me than the stock cable I got for my Hugo 2) others say that QED Reference Quartz glass cable is best... but again not cheap. Maybe try the Kabeldirekt first as so cheap and then consider alternatives?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #13,014 of 25,873
Kabeldirekt from amazon is normally recommended as Rob W himself use one of their cables he said (maybe not their optical). I have one to my Chromecast Audio. I also have a Sysconcept 24/192 from Canada from my CD transport that arrived quickly and is cheaper than lifatec I think but have not compared (but sounds much better to me than the stock cable I got for my Hugo 2) others say that QED Reference Quartz glass cable is best... but again not cheap. Maybe try the Kabeldirekt first as so cheap and then consider alternatives?

Thank you very much for the info Paul. It’s nice to get some options here :)

I just puchased the KabelDirekt Pro cable and will be delivered before I pick up DAVE. Indeed a no brainer $ to give a try. Been reading up on this very educational thread and my understanding is that all that matters is getting a good fit to ensure 192 but there is no need for bling bling cables soundwise. DAVE will sort it ou soundwise :)

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #13,015 of 25,873
Quick question that google didn't help much with, should the HF Filter be on or off when listening to 16 bit 44.1 to 24 bit 96KHz audio? This is m scaled if that matters.

Basically when should the HF Filter be on and does it matter?

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #13,016 of 25,873
Quick question that google didn't help much with, should the HF Filter be on or off when listening to 16 bit 44.1 to 24 bit 96KHz audio? This is m scaled if that matters.

IF you're using the Dave by it's self,then the hf filter should be on,according to Rob.If m- scaled it should be off .

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #13,017 of 25,873

Rob watts actually answered this in the past. If the signal is M-scaled, you shouldn’t hear a difference with HF filter turned on or off for 16 bit 44kHz signals. However, for 96kHz signals, HF filter turned on would filter out some noise/signal above 20kHz. Even though that noise would not be audible, once it gets into your DAC/preamp/amp analog circuitry, it can increase noise in the audible range and make the sound brighter and harsher. This is why Rob Watts recommends turning HF filter on when listening to high-resolution music.

I leave my HF filter on all the time. That said, you should listen and see what you prefer.

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #13,019 of 25,873
Rob watts actually answered this in the past. If the signal is M-scaled, you shouldn’t hear a difference with HF filter turned on or off for 16 bit 44kHz signals. However, for 96kHz signals, HF filter turned on would filter out some noise/signal above 20kHz. Even though that noise would not be audible, once it gets into your DAC/preamp/amp analog circuitry, it can increase noise in the audible range and make the sound brighter and harsher. This is why Rob Watts recommends turning HF filter on when listening to high-resolution music.
In fact I can hear a (minimal) difference also with 44.1 kHz recordings and M Scaler in the chain. It's the result of the ~1 dB drop-off at 20 kHz with its smooth slope.

Two posts, polar opposite replies. You have to love forums
It's easy: lovethatsound's memory is playing tricks on him. According to Rob the M Scaler doesn't make the HF filter obsolete, as it accurately reproduces all ultrasonic artifacts in a recording.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #13,020 of 25,873
Two posts, polar opposite replies. You have to love forums
@lovethatsound was correct as it was Rob Watts recommendation when Blu2 was released. But if you look at Rob Watts newer posts in the M-Scaler forum, he has changed his mind and recommended people to use HF filter at least for high resolution materials. In fact, oddly, he has not re-commented lately whether he still thinks there is no difference with or without the filter with 44kHz material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back