CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 17, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #4,201 of 25,868
Mmm.....for Dave owners, do you use one of those fancy stand? I intend to use my Dave exclusively for headphones. Is it necessary? Also, do I need one of those fancy power conditioner thingamajig? Coming from the Chord TT, I never needed one because of its long battery life. Tia.

Damn.....my TH 900 never sounded so good with the Dave. DA BASS! HOLY S...

Ray,

it makes a little difference in the sound (to my ears).  Perhaps quieter backgrounds.  I mostly like the looks.
The elevation does make the DAVE runs cooler.  Not sure a cooler DAVE makes it sound better.

paul

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #4,203 of 25,868
Please share the product name/designation here, as I remember it being an Oyaide item but can't recollect it's full moniker. Thanks. :)

I'm using the same solution. Works great.

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #4,204 of 25,868
I recollect Roy (romaz) using an Oyaide base which had a quartz chippings layer underneath the support plate. From memory it fitted the Chord DAVE perfectly and seemed to be beneficial sonically. Why not P.M. Roy and ask for his advice? :)

Not Oyaide if this is the post you are referring to:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/1800#post_12379613

It's the Acoustic Revive Quartz Under Board TB-38H.

Pics: romaz

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #4,205 of 25,868
Yes that's it, my apologies for getting the manufacturer wrong and thank you very much for the correct info. :)

Not Oyaide if this is the post you are referring to:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/1800#post_12379613

It's the Acoustic Revive Quartz Under Board TB-38H.

Pics: romaz

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #4,207 of 25,868
I totally failed at CanJam this weekend to be so amazed by something that I wanted to buy it as soon as possible. The noise was far worse than I was expecting. I found all listening pretty much superficial in terms of judging equipment. On the other hand, I enjoyed and was moved by music on pretty much every system I listened to... Only a cheap pair of IEMs made me want to stop listening.

It did make me think of a question: "Hugo TT + Focal Utopia headphones or DAVE + HD 800 S?". Cost, obviously, isn't equivalent. Not even slightly. I own TT + HD 800 S, and the question is basically: which to buy first: Utopia or DAVE?

The upgrade from TT + HD 650 to TT + HD 800 S was much bigger than I was expecting and all music benefits in a clearly audible way (tonal richness, dynamics, resolution, emotion, fun etc.). HD 800 S basically re-mixed my record collection. Many people say that the difference between TT and DAVE varies substantially depending on the music/recording, to the extent that sometimes there is no meaningful difference.

So, all of that combined with the show makes me think I'd be better off getting Utopia first, for what it's worth.

I'm pretty sure there's no danger of me splurging on DAVE + Utopia at the same time. Famous last words...

[Or, instead of Utopia, read "Ether Flow"?...]

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #4,208 of 25,868
I totally failed at CanJam this weekend to be so amazed by something that I wanted to buy it as soon as possible. The noise was far worse than I was expecting. I found all listening pretty much superficial in terms of judging equipment. On the other hand, I enjoyed and was moved by music on pretty much every system I listened to... Only a cheap pair of IEMs made me want to stop listening.

It did make me think of a question: "Hugo TT + Focal Utopia headphones or DAVE + HD 800 S?". Cost, obviously, isn't equivalent. Not even slightly. I own TT + HD 800 S, and the question is basically: which to buy first: Utopia or DAVE?

The upgrade from TT + HD 650 to TT + HD 800 S was much bigger than I was expecting and all music benefits in a clearly audible way (tonal richness, dynamics, resolution, emotion, fun etc.). HD 800 S basically re-mixed my record collection. Many people say that the difference between TT and DAVE varies substantially depending on the music/recording, to the extent that sometimes there is no meaningful difference.

So, all of that combined with the show makes me think I'd be better off getting Utopia first, for what it's worth.

I'm pretty sure there's no danger of me splurging on DAVE + Utopia at the same time. Famous last words...

[Or, instead of Utopia, read "Ether Flow"?...]

Both the ETHER Flow and Utopia are reported to be much better than the HD800/S, according to Tyll Herstons of Innerfidelity. I particularly like his teaser comment of the Flow vs the HD800:

"Similarly, the Ether Flow does not compute to my ears as a planar magnetic headphone—the super-clean transient response is shockingly good. The treble range is rendered with extraordinarily smooth speed. I think it's in the back-room now giving noogies to the HD 800."

Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/disruption-headphone-world#V4p53rTpjRHezbqm.99

I haven't heard the TT, but raypin owned it and now has the DAVE so maybe he can chime in about the direct differences. I imagine you may hear more of a dramatic difference from the headphones though.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #4,212 of 25,868
I agree Utopia need a very good amp. Karan KAS600 or higher range should do the job.

Quote:
It can get confusing, can't it? Lol! I'm sure with the proper setup the DAVE would sound fantastic feeding the Grand Utopia speakers through a good amp.

beerchug.gif

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #4,215 of 25,868
Both the ETHER Flow and Utopia are reported to be much better than the HD800/S, according to Tyll Herstons of Innerfidelity. I particularly like his teaser comment of the Flow vs the HD800:
I haven't heard the TT, but raypin owned it and now has the DAVE so maybe he can chime in about the direct differences. I imagine you may hear more of a dramatic difference from the headphones though.

Mmm....biggest difference for me (and it is still very early days for me to seriously compare), between the Chord Dave and the Chord TT are , out of the HD 800S and the TH900: Dave has far better dynamics, far better transparency (the equipment truly just disappears) and far better realism (much closer to a speaker set-up). The music just flows and makes it far easier to enjoy and FEEL IT. It just has this unerring and authoritative ability to "decrapify" your headphones. Expectation bias? You bet. New toy syndrome? You bet. So, YMMV. But if you are a Chord TT owner right now, my earnest advice as a former Chord TT owner: Please don't audition the DAVE. Run away! Is it worth the huge price difference: it depends on how healthy your personal finance is for this wonderful hobby of ours. But if you have a good collection of TOTL headphones, the DAVE is a no-brainer investment that will allow you to enjoy your TOTL headphones far better than ever before. Guaranteed. Are there just as good or better alternatives? Sure but in the Chord line-up and I've owned or used the Mojo, Chord Hugo, the QBD 76 and the Chord TT, DAVE is simply the best. It simply outclasses them.

11 more HPs to test.........far out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back