CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 19, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #4,231 of 25,885
Peter from HeadAmp reconised that the DAVE offers much more details but... With a SR009 he feels that the DAVE´s sound may be less enjoable than the warmish QB-9 and that we MUST avoid a bright DAC with the SR009/BHSE.

This is interesting that Peter would tell you this [...]. Peter heard my DAVE against his QB-9 feeding the BHSE which was then driving a set of 009s and we BOTH acknowledged at the time how much better the DAVE was over the QB-9.

These discussions quickly end in pointless "he said..., she said". Romaz is correct in that every statement has to be put into the perspective of that person. However, In this particular situation, I don't see any contradiction at all. Peter was talking about his personal sound signature preference (I was there) and not necessarily about the DAC's technical merits.

In the end, you have to establish your own opinion, not copy another one's opinion as so often happens here. For all I care a majority may like DAC "X". If I don't like it, who cares what somebody else thinks of it?

Speaking of opinions... I was very glad to get another opportunity to hear the DAVE again at Canjam London. It truly is very resolving - perhaps even more so than my Totaldac - and I encourage everyone to go and listen to it. However, I felt it was not as engaging (whatever that means) as my Totaldac. I didn't seem to experience the same emotions as when listening to the Totaldac. Perhaps this is due to meet conditions, perhaps due to a lack of alcohol, who knows... To eliminate all that, I'm hoping I can audition the DAVE sometime at home as well.

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #4,232 of 25,885
I was going from the Totaldac Dual to the Dave, and as much as I liked my Totaldac (and Vincents fantastic customer service) the Dave is better in every aspect. 

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #4,233 of 25,885
These discussions quickly end in pointless "he said..., she said".

I guess you could use the word "pointless" but Bertrand asked for the opinion of others and I felt I was in a position of knowledge and so I offered him mine. As for "he said...she said," I've known Peter for a few years now. As he lives in Los Angeles, our paths have crossed frequently and I have purchased several amps and headphones from him and Justin over the years including a BHSE and 009. During our conversation about the DAVE earlier this year, no technical aspects were ever discussed (ie noise floor, small signal linearity, etc). We both just listened to my DAVE, then his Ayre using his tracks and then he provided me his candid opinion and I stand by my representation of his opinion that he offered. At no time did he suggest the DAVE sounded "bright" and that for the BHSE, "we must avoid" it. I'm not disagreeing that he offered you the opinion that he did, only that it contrasts with the opinion that he offered me. Each reader here can interpret my post as they wish.

Yes, each of us here is on our own personal journey and we each experience things in our own way. There is no right or wrong, only personal preference. To suggest, however, that many of us would spend $13k on a DAC because we are copying another person's opinion is a bit harsh. As a former frequent contributor to the TotalDac thread, I never considered any other TotalDac owner a copycat. To this day, I consider the TotalDac to be an excellent DAC and I would never try to convince another person that it was otherwise.

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #4,234 of 25,885
  I was going from the Totaldac Dual to the Dave, and as much as I liked my Totaldac (and Vincents fantastic customer service) the Dave is better in every aspect. 

As long as you don't generalize (I'm assuming you don't), that's fine by me. Both times I auditioned the Dave, I didn't really find it superior (or inferior for that matter) to the Totaldac. All I'm saying is, I preferred the sound of the Totaldac (the keyword being I). Regardless of what I preferred, I thought that both the Totaldac and Dave are excellent dacs.

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #4,235 of 25,885
I guess you could use the word "pointless" but Bertrand asked for the opinion of others and I felt I was in a position of knowledge and so I offered him mine.

And that is very much appreciated. I sure have found yours to be very informative.

To suggest, however, that many of us would spend $13k on a DAC because we are copying another person's opinion is a bit harsh.

That is definitely not what I meant, and if my post came across as such, I will retract that phrasing. All I'm saying is that some people (no one particular in mind) tend to be very much influenced by more prominent / active members, and instead of trying to make a solid attempt at forming their own, they echo another one's opinion (regardless of whether they are right or wrong). It's a society thing: dominant people can sway the opinion of others. My message is mainly "make up your own mind" (again not pointing to anyone in particular).

I'm not disagreeing that he offered you the opinion that he did, only that it contrasts with the opinion that he offered me. Each reader here can interpret my post as they wish.

Right back at ya :) It was definitely useful information and the more there is on the table, the more one can make an informed decision ... And it kind of demonstrates why you should rely on your own opinion too :wink:

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #4,236 of 25,885
I know this has been covered, but I just can't find it, so I'm going to ask a stupid question anyway:

If I buy a DAVE outside of the USA, all I have to do is switch out the power chord to the wall and the DAVE will function anywhere from 80v to 260v, yes? In other words, just by switching the chord, I'll be able to use the DAVE with US 110-120v, correct?

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #4,237 of 25,885
I know this has been covered, but I just can't find it, so I'm going to ask a stupid question anyway:

If I buy a DAVE outside of the USA, all I have to do is switch out the power chord to the wall and the DAVE will function anywhere from 80v to 260v, yes? In other words, just by switching the chord, I'll be able to use the DAVE with US 110-120v, correct?

The product page says 80-260, the manual says 90-250. You should be good.

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #4,238 of 25,885
I paired my BHSE-009 combo with the Esoteric K-01 CD player (even more detailed than the Dave, but Esoteric players were often criticised to be on the more analytical side). It does not sound bright at all, with the right tubes on the BHSE and the right cables. Not sure how bright Dave is, but Esoteric players at that era are not warm by any standards.

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #4,239 of 25,885
I guess you could use the word "pointless" but Bertrand asked for the opinion of others and I felt I was in a position of knowledge and so I offered him mine. As for "he said...she said," I've known Peter for a few years now. As he lives in Los Angeles, our paths have crossed frequently and I have purchased several amps and headphones from him and Justin over the years including a BHSE and 009. During our conversation about the DAVE earlier this year, no technical aspects were ever discussed (ie noise floor, small signal linearity, etc). We both just listened to my DAVE, then his Ayre using his tracks and then he provided me his candid opinion and I stand by my representation of his opinion that he offered. At no time did he suggest the DAVE sounded "bright" and that for the BHSE, "we must avoid" it. I'm not disagreeing that he offered you the opinion that he did, only that it contrasts with the opinion that he offered me. Each reader here can interpret my post as they wish.

Yes, each of us here is on our own personal journey and we each experience things in our own way. There is no right or wrong, only personal preference. To suggest, however, that many of us would spend $13k on a DAC because we are copying another person's opinion is a bit harsh. As a former frequent contributor to the TotalDac thread, I never considered any other TotalDac owner a copycat. To this day, I consider the TotalDac to be an excellent DAC and I would never try to convince another person that it was otherwise.

Heard TotalDac and the MSB Select 2 finally. Unfortunately Dave is simply no match and those two are at another level it seems. But Dave, at its price, is really a steal and is probably the best high end DAC today in terms of price/performance ratio. But when it comes to the "money no object" category, Dave still falls short - not because it is not expensive enough, but that the true R2R DAC technology simply wipes the floor with Dave.

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #4,240 of 25,885

See post 4159 for Rob Watts' advice on this. Sorry, don't know how to do a direct link to other posts.

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #4,241 of 25,885
Heard TotalDac and the MSB Select 2 finally. Unfortunately Dave is simply no match and those two are at another level it seems. But Dave, at its price, is really a steal and is probably the best high end DAC today in terms of price/performance ratio. But when it comes to the "money no object" category, Dave still falls short - not because it is not expensive enough, but that the true R2R DAC technology simply wipes the floor with Dave.

I haven't heard the MSB or TOTAL DAC, but in which areas would you say "wipes the floor with Dave"? Tonality, width, depth, timing, transparency? Rob's overarching goal is transparency, timing, and depth it seems and he's pointed out inherent problems with R2R in these areas. So my curiosity is simply, how does it compare, and in which areas? Cost aside of course. Jude certainly prefers the DAVE to the TOTAL DAC so I'm not sure your blanket statement would apply here. Also, your previous post stating you're not sure how bright DAVE is leads me to believe you haven't heard it. Not helpful when making comparisons I think. I'm not being defensive about the DAVE, and I like a very good R2R DAC just like the next guy (I loved my humble AGD DAC-19), but I'm just trying to weed out your perspective.

Aug 20, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #4,242 of 25,885
Louis,what you have just said on here just goes to show me that you have never heard the DAVE going at all.In fact I've been looking at quite a few of your posts and alot of them,don't make sense at all.I have come to the conclusion you are just trolling these threads.

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #4,243 of 25,885
Aug 20, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #4,244 of 25,885
See post 4159 for Rob Watts' advice on this. Sorry, don't know how to do a direct link to other posts.

Right click on the 'post #nnnn' at the top right hand corner of the post, then select the 'copy link address' option.

You can then include this link in your reply, by selecting the 'link' icon, and then pasting the link into the URL box. 

Aug 20, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #4,245 of 25,885
I have a few questions.

Is the price difference between the Hugo and Dave worth it?

Will there be a Dave 2 in a few years?

Does it pair well with the Auralic Taurus MKII?

How does the Chord Dave compare to other high end DAC's in the $10.000+ segment?

Are the HD 650, HD 800 and HD 800 S good enough or is the resolution of such headphones not good enough to hear all the quality of the Chord Dave?

Is the Chord Dave good enough to be used in high end speaker setups?

Does the Chord Dave work with IEM's? (no hiss?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back