CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 7, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #13,264 of 25,901
Quick question to anyone who has experience. Do power cables make a significant difference with the Dave? Currently eyeing a Naim Powerline or Siltech Ruby Mountain II

From my own experience I would say yes they do, everyone’s idea of significant is different though, but I certainly noticed a difference. There seems to be a general view that Dave is quite sensitive to its power input. But always try before you buy, many variables in play when it comes to power, what works for one may not work at all for someone else.

Jul 7, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #13,265 of 25,901
Here is a relatively basic question:

In DAC mode Dave outputs 3v single ended and 6v balanced and sets the volume control to 3db. In order to output the same 3v in balanced, would I set the volume control to -9db?

While I know single ended is most transparent output with the Dave, I am using a couple amps with it. I previously used my V281 single ended and want to replicate the same gain going into the amp via balanced, as I have to use that output for it.

Jul 7, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #13,266 of 25,901
You have an excellent assortment of gear there. Impressive. Enough to open shop.

Jul 7, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #13,267 of 25,901
You have an excellent assortment of gear there. Impressive. Enough to open shop.

Thank you. I keep intending on buying a flagship headphone that I can go dave direct, but I keep going in other directions.

Frankly, I am so impressed with the Abyss Rig right now, I may sell either my LCD4 Rig or Stax Rig.

Jul 7, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #13,268 of 25,901
It's knowing when to stop and just be happy with the sound you have and focus more on music. My final set up will be mscaler/oppo pm1 which i have now and will soon add a TT2. It's all i can afford and want. Just that simple rig is 8.5K Sterling. It satisfies my needs though.

Jul 7, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #13,269 of 25,901
It's knowing when to stop and just be happy with the sound you have and focus more on music. My final set up will be mscaler/oppo pm1 which i have now and will soon add a TT2. It's all i can afford and want. Just that simple rig is 8.5K Sterling. It satisfies my needs though.

Hey - more power to you. I’ve accumulated the gear I have, sold some, kept a lot - over 7 years. I readily admit to enjoying gear for gears sake, but I wouldn’t be in this if I not for music. If you can afford it and it makes you happy that’s all that matters.

Jul 7, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #13,270 of 25,901
Here is a relatively basic question:

In DAC mode Dave outputs 3v single ended and 6v balanced and sets the volume control to 3db. In order to output the same 3v in balanced, would I set the volume control to -9db?

While I know single ended is most transparent output with the Dave, I am using a couple amps with it. I previously used my V281 single ended and want to replicate the same gain going into the amp via balanced, as I have to use that output for it.

Just bumping my question (apologies for the quick bump) regarding matching voltage/output on balanced.

from what I've read:

3db is a doubling of volume
6db is a doubling of power
and 10 db is a perceived doubling of volume

That confused me significantly more. I've set it around -9/-10 db, but am just curious as to what exactly would duplicate 3 volts on balanced.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 7, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #13,272 of 25,901
Then isnt that just volume preset for each one then like Relic said and not an actual "pre amp section"?

The output is variable at line levels with the exception of the fixed output in DAC mode. I'm sorry, apparently I am not understanding your issue with Dave's outputs or modes or whatever else. Suffice to say I never worry about the technicalities because DAVE just sounds so good and even better when it plugs into my amp directly (no dedicated pre-amp appliance because DAVE is already at line level amplification).

Regards
GG

Jul 7, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #13,273 of 25,901
Quick question to anyone who has experience. Do power cables make a significant difference with the Dave? Currently eyeing a Naim Powerline or Siltech Ruby Mountain II

Huge difference. I run my DAVE from Shunyata Denali and Sigma power cable. And the difference between the next series down (Alpha) is huge as well. In fact, My whole stereo (Krell amplifier included) has never sounded as good since the Shunyata Denali and Sigma cables were installed.

The Shunyata Denali replaced a PowerStation device that was clipping a lot off my top end (the top end was simply missing which is why I needed to change and not sorry about my empty wallet afterwards)

Regards
GG

Jul 7, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #13,274 of 25,901
When using balanced-out, change the digital volume by -6dB to get the equivalent voltage output as single-ended out (-6dB = 50%).

Thankyou! That was the exact information I was looking for.

Jul 8, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #13,275 of 25,901
At some point I'm going to pull the trigger on a Dave. I'll need a new soundcard with optical out.

Would you recommend an internal or external soundcard? Both for the Dave and music in general.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back