CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 2, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #13,232 of 25,857
Ok. Can you try to disconnect the earth wire of the electrical plug of DAVE?

Will try that now, temporarily of course!

Jul 2, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #13,233 of 25,857
I was thinking about doing this, just need to understand how you earth the secondary side. In the UK isolating transformers are used domestically to feed bathroom shaver points, but the secondary is deliberately not earthed, the supply is floating to prevent a shock if you come in to contact with the live side of 220V. Not sure what the implications are of having a floating supply on hi fo equipment would be. So I suspect I would need to earth the secondary side separately, and create a new clean earth. ???

If the circuit is floating, there can’t be any ground hum. However, some Hi-Fi equipment manufacturers require ground to function. But I know that some Japanese audiophiles float their Hi-Fi circuit to improve sound.

Jul 2, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #13,234 of 25,857
Just tried that, hum virtually goes, a lot quieter.

Jul 2, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #13,236 of 25,857
Are you prepared to use figure 8 power cable? Or better send back to Chord to examine.

I think I will take it back to dealer tomorrow to see if fault is replicated in shop. Also a factory has come on line recently in the vicinity. I am not clear exactly what they do but they seem to occasionally start a process that results in a low drone. This drone has now been constant for the last 48 hours, which is when this fault became constant. So just wondering are they putting out some noise on the power line that the DAVE is sensitive to and the niagara cant clean? If DAVE is ok in shop may try a UPS running on battery only, just to prove it is incoming supply.

Jul 2, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #13,237 of 25,857
Just tried that, hum virtually goes, a lot quieter.

That doesn’t mean the Dave is the culprit. I would stick with the plan of taking it to the dealer and trying it in his system. Or better still borrow a Dave from him and see if that hums in your system.

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #13,238 of 25,857
I was thinking about doing this, just need to understand how you earth the secondary side. In the UK isolating transformers are used domestically to feed bathroom shaver points, but the secondary is deliberately not earthed, the supply is floating to prevent a shock if you come in to contact with the live side of 220V. Not sure what the implications are of having a floating supply on hi fo equipment would be. So I suspect I would need to earth the secondary side separately, and create a new clean earth. ???
If you order isolation transformer, then you may return it if it does not work or improve the sound at least in US.

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #13,239 of 25,857
I think I will take it back to dealer tomorrow to see if fault is replicated in shop. Also a factory has come on line recently in the vicinity. I am not clear exactly what they do but they seem to occasionally start a process that results in a low drone. This drone has now been constant for the last 48 hours, which is when this fault became constant. So just wondering are they putting out some noise on the power line that the DAVE is sensitive to and the niagara cant clean? If DAVE is ok in shop may try a UPS running on battery only, just to prove it is incoming supply.

Maybe. But I know that my DAVE is quite sensitive to electrical noise. I once had a noisy electrical equipment on the same circuit as DAVE. Turning on and off that equipment will cause DAVE to go haywire which the other equipments on the same circuit are not affected.

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #13,241 of 25,857
I am considering purchasing either the Benchmark AHB2 or the HPA4 for use with CHORD DAVE and Susvara and or Abyss PHI TC. Has anyone compared the AHB2 to the HPA4 yet with Susvara.....? I was also considering the PASS Labs XA25 but don’t really want an amp that runs super hot and requires a long on time to get to peak sound. That’s why I gave up on tube amps.

Jul 4, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #13,242 of 25,857
Chord DAVE Mechanical Isolation with Nordost Sort Kone

I have used the Nordost Sort Fut under my Hi-Fi Rack to good effect and thinking of the Sort Kones https://nordost.com/sort-systems/sort-kone.php under my DAVE.

Is anyone using the Nordost Sort Kones under their DAVE, I'd appreciate your views, positive or negative.

I sat in the Singapore Nordost dealer's showroom recently for a demo of the Nordost Kone System. The dealer was extremely eager to show the impact of Nordost Kones EVEN on power strips he had on the floor. So he played a track of a female singer standing in front of a grand piano. She was about 1 metre in front of the piano. Wonderful soundstaging and precise. He then said listen to the Kones JUST under the power-strip feeding the rack with electricity.

I listened. The upper registers of the music had become slightly emphasised and slightly harsh. The singer was now in the same space as the piano. The soundstage had collapsed. I said to the dealer, these Kones must be introducing vibrations BECAUSE the pristine soundstage had collapsed (nothing else was changed). He said never mind about that (I don't think he understood my English). Did you hear the difference these cones make? I said yes. He said how many would you like to buy. When I said none because they degraded his demo system, he obviously heard that, he was stunned and did not answer. He just let me walk out.

YMMV as always. But from my demo of the Nordost Kones, they killed the soundstage (regardless of the metal composition of the tip).

Regards
GG

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #13,244 of 25,857
Excited to be getting a Chord Dave in soon! Hopefully it has sufficient power for a Sennheiser HD 820 and is worth the money lol
Colour? Killer black ?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back