CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 6, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #13,246 of 25,754
The most expensive electronics component of my life, but also the best one – beside the Hugo M Scaler.

Don't worry, the HD 820 is an easy load for it! (It's the best «amp» for my frequently used HD 800 I can think of.)

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #13,247 of 25,754
The most expensive electronics component of my life, but also the best one – beside the Hugo M Scaler.

Don't worry, the HD 820 is an easy load for it! (It's the best «amp» for my frequently used HD 800 I can think of.)

Awesome that's reassuring to hear hahaha. Mscaler is also my next steps in the future, right now though my wallet is flat as paper. I might swap out the hd 820 in the near future as I dont need a closed back but for the time being I expect great things from this combo.

Out of curiosity what is your favorite pairing with the DAVE?

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #13,248 of 25,754

Same here!

A huge bonus of the DAVE - in addition to its already outstanding virtues as a DAC, which is quite a thing - is its versatility as a DAC / preamplifier / headphone amp. Several other audio components can do the same, but very few are top level in all three working conditions.

I am now in the process of changing my amplifier (willing to try high power speaker amp for my Abyss and my speakers). The DAVE allows me to first sell my current amp to raise the funds, then take all the time I need to choose my next amp, as I can enjoy my headphones system at most of its potential in the interim. Also, I have the freedom to choose between a power amplifier and an integrated at my pleasure.

Getting the DAVE as the main pillar of my rig has turned out to work very well strategically in my case, especially since the M Scaler has been made available.

Quite an investment, but these guys are going to stay in my system for several years :)

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #13,249 of 25,754
Awesome that's reassuring to hear hahaha. Mscaler is also my next steps in the future, right now though my wallet is flat as paper. I might swap out the hd 820 in the near future as I dont need a closed back but for the time being I expect great things from this combo.

Out of curiosity what is your favorite pairing with the DAVE?
Currently I like the HE1000se most. It's virtually flawless to my ears and has incredible resolution and extension to both frequency extremes. I use some subtle EQ corrections, though. My (modified) HD 800 – with larger EQ corrections – also gets frequent use, followed by Electrostat 1 (with Stax Lambda Pro drivers) .

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #13,250 of 25,754
Yes killer black indeed. I am so excited to see the combo aesthetically with the black and the glass. DROOOOL
Yes! She is super sexy in black
IMG_20190623_170048.jpg
IMG_20190623_165913.jpg
IMG_20190623_164009.jpg
IMG_20190623_164028.jpg
IMG_20190623_165940.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190623_163949~2.jpg
    IMG_20190623_163949~2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 0
Jul 6, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #13,251 of 25,754
Hi Guys,

After reading online that many reviewers and owners of the Dave had stated that Dave used as a preamp was astounding!

I was a little miffed!

I initially setup Dave on day one as Preamp/Dac and was not impressed, actully I was quite disappointed, so I swapped back to my LDR preamp, and was loving the sound and emotion

Then last night, I had a eureka moment and thought I wonder if after nearly 2 weeks of use and run in period if Dave's preamp sound would have changed

So with that I swapped over the cables and switched Dave from DAC only mode to Preamp/Dac and listened intently,

Wow, wow, wow, everything was different, and the clarity, and layering had significantly changed for the better.

Now I get it, and yes the preamp section of Dave is amazing, if you have only ever heard Dave's preamp section before the full run in period and thought it sound a little flat and thin, I would strongly suggest you give Dave another go as a Preamp/Dac

The difference after run in period is literally night and day

Anyways just my opinion,

I thought I would share and would like to hear if other members here have had the same experience?

Thanks for reading

Cheers

Deano

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #13,255 of 25,754
Hi Guys,

After reading online that many reviewers and owners of the Dave had stated that Dave used as a preamp was astounding!

I was a little miffed!

I initially setup Dave on day one as Preamp/Dac and was not impressed, actully I was quite disappointed, so I swapped back to my LDR preamp, and was loving the sound and emotion

Then last night, I had a eureka moment and thought I wonder if after nearly 2 weeks of use and run in period if Dave's preamp sound would have changed

So with that I swapped over the cables and switched Dave from DAC only mode to Preamp/Dac and listened intently,

Wow, wow, wow, everything was different, and the clarity, and layering had significantly changed for the better.

Now I get it, and yes the preamp section of Dave is amazing, if you have only ever heard Dave's preamp section before the full run in period and thought it sound a little flat and thin, I would strongly suggest you give Dave another go as a Preamp/Dac

The difference after run in period is literally night and day

Anyways just my opinion,

I thought I would share and would like to hear if other members here have had the same experience?

Thanks for reading

Cheers

Deano

Interesting given that the ‘preamp section’ is just digital volume control and there is only one output stage, the same simple output stage, used in all modes (nothing is changed or bypassed in the hardware).

Volume differences are all I can logically think of for any difference between modes.

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #13,256 of 25,754
Thanks for the input, and yes I understand too the system is not different and maybe it could be just my ears, but there were 3 of us listening straight out of the box and there was definitely a a big difference

Very strange, maybe the difference is Dave was not run in, I don't know, hard to explain

Maybe I'm the only one who has experienced this, I don't know

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #13,258 of 25,754
Thanks for the input, and yes I understand too the system is not different and maybe it could be just my ears, but there were 3 of us listening straight out of the box and there was definitely a a big difference

Very strange, maybe the difference is Dave was not run in, I don't know, hard to explain

Maybe I'm the only one who has experienced this, I don't know

I dont think there is a pre amp section in dave and i also didnt know Chord DACs required a burn in period?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back