1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872
874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883
Next

Last
  1. Foxman50
    Thanks Rob, much appreciated

2. tunes
    I am in process of selling my old Zana Deux headphone amp to a lucky buyer and needed to check it before sending as had not used it for over a year. I hooked the line out from the same DAP (Questyle QP1R) that I use as a transport via optical out with my DAVE/Mscaler to the ZANA Deux and for fun listened with my Utopias and was blown away by how good it sounded. I was surprised and a bit disappointed that when compared to my DAVE/Mscaler, the base and sub base on the Utopias was much better with the Zana Deux!? So should I sell my DAVE and get a TT2 for better low end performance with the Utopias? This unexpected. However, the transparency, microdetail and acoustic dimensionally was better was Dave.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  3. HeeBroG
    I too have Utopia and DAVE/Blu2 but rarely use it now in favour of my speaker setup.
    I would rather try another headphone directly driven by DAVE than go to TT2.
    The Meze Empyrean would be top of the list. There may be better headphones out there but they would need an amp.

4. xxx1313
    I would say, try Empyrean and Stellia. :L3000: Maybe also HEK SE if you do not mind Hifiman's business practices (short upgrade cycle etc.). :wink:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    bidn likes this.
  5. tunes
    Curios, are you driving speakers with DAVE? What is your speaker set up?

6. musickid
    Thanks Nick.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  7. HeeBroG
    Direct drive Voxativ 9.87 with stereo pair REL G1 Mk II's

8. Arcabonne
    Stupid question ... is there a way to use Dave's headphone output from an analog signal from a phono stage?

9. dac64
    What you need is a chord Davina.

10. x RELIC x Contributor
    Nope. Digital input only on all Chord DACs.

11. Baten
    Hi Rob. If you happen to see this question,

If one were to use an AES to SPDIF converter, can Dave/Qutest(or even mojo for that matter) understand AES-3 over S/PDIF?

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  12. SCBob
    For connecting DAVE to Chord TToby amp to drive speakers is there any advantage to using DAVE balanced output as opposed to the RCA output?

13. Rob Watts
    In practice there is no real difference between AES3 and SPDIF as far as the data protocol is concerned so you are OK, all products will work fine - it just needs to be via the optical or coax inputs.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    ZappaMan and Baten like this.
  14. Baten
    Wow, thanks for getting back at me so quickly! Cool, no problem then :)

15. ecwl
    I recall @Rob Watts saying a long time ago that the noise level via RCA is slightly lower than Balanced but ultimately, it’ll depend on your setup and the amp design. And I don’t recall @Mojo ideas stating whether one connection method is better than another.

That said, if you can afford it, you should really give the Etude a listen. The case work matches your DAVE and it sounds superb. I have only listened to older Chord amps so I’ve never listened to the TToby generation of Chord amps but I do think Etude is a leap in performance level and one of the top amplifiers out there with great neutrality and musicality.

First

Back
863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872
874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883
Next

Last