CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 26, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #13,051 of 25,896
My Dave was purchased in the UK in Oct 2016. My dealer took it back to Chord in Jun 2018 to repair left channel clipping. The problem was a transistor in the PSU. All six were replaced by Chord with ones of higher value and software updated to latest. Unfortunately, now, the right channel would buzz and cut off sound in headphone, RCA and XLR out. The Dave would give out intermittent relay clicking while music plays in the left channel and nothing in the right channel. This happens for all digital input whether optical, BNC and USB. I have tried powering off the Dave and restarting but the problem persists. Has anyone else experienced this or other problem with your Dave?

I am concerned about the reliability of my Dave to develop issue in both channels within the first 3 years of owning it. I am glad that it is covered for 5 years warranty in the UK but I hate to think what other problem this unit may develop as we approach the end of the 5 years.

Something like this happened to me, the display went out of order and a signal came from the device as from a fryer (from the device directly, not from an exit). Round trip to England, a card was replaced. Then all right.

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #13,056 of 25,896
I was told by my dealer
Exactly. Allow Chord the opportunity to repair the unit again before posting about it publicly and causing others to speculate-- no one here has serviced a DAVE and can guide you. Chord never sold it claiming it was reliable.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #13,057 of 25,896
Exactly. Allow Chord the opportunity to repair the unit again before posting about it publicly and causing others to speculate-- no one here has serviced a DAVE and can guide you. Chord never sold it claiming it was reliable.
It’s not about speculating but sharing repair and fault information. No reason not to share factual information as I received from my dealer on what was done for the first repair and the fault that my Dave is having now.

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #13,058 of 25,896
It’s not about speculating but sharing repair and fault information. No reason not to share factual information as I received from my dealer on what was done for the first repair and the fault that my Dave is having now.
I think you’ve been really unlucky but I would trust the Chord repair process. Having followed Chord forums for a while, I think their unit failure rate is very low. My Chord DAVE and Etude are rock solid. My Chord QBD76 actually skips when it played 24-bit music and I didn’t realize it until I upgraded to QBD76HDSD. After the upgrade, the unit was sent back to Chord for repair and the unit has been rock solid since. My Blu2 did have to be sent back to Chord a couple of times before it’s fully functional and once again it’s rock solid since.
I know it really sucks when you realize your unit is broken but it’s mostly just bad luck from my experience whenever my audio gear breaks. The positive side is that the Chord repair services always take care of you.

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #13,059 of 25,896
I believe flash memory can be updated at the factory.
This is the first I have heard about software being updated for the DAVE. I’ve already negotiated with Chord for them to collect my DAVE for repair just as soon as I finish with the loan of a piece of equipment I am trying out. The problem is with the on/off switch at the back. It will be interesting to find out from the feedback whether the repair has included a software upgrade, and if it has, what exactly has been updated.

Mar 27, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #13,060 of 25,896
This is the first I have heard about software being updated for the DAVE. I’ve already negotiated with Chord for them to collect my DAVE for repair just as soon as I finish with the loan of a piece of equipment I am trying out. The problem is with the on/off switch at the back. It will be interesting to find out from the feedback whether the repair has included a software upgrade, and if it has, what exactly has been updated.
I was having an issue with drop-outs on the DAVE when connecting to HMS, which may have been a software issue according to a post by Rob Watts. My dealer contacted Chord and they said they could fix it at the factory by updating flash memory. However it was easier logistics for them and me to replace my relatively new unit, so that is what they did. No problem now.

So I deduce from this that software in an existing DAVE can be updated. But I have no idea if there are newer versions or not.

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #13,061 of 25,896
I have DAVE since a few weeks now. I use it exclusively in DAC mode and with headphones. However, if I put it in standy mode and power back on with the remote it always boots in pre amp mode. Isn’t DAVE supposed to retain the DAC mode setting? Thanks in advance for your feedback :wink:

BE distributor answered this question. Query closed.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #13,062 of 25,896
I have DAVE since a few weeks now. I use it exclusively in DAC mode and with headphones. However, if I put it in standy mode and power back on with the remote it always boots in pre amp mode. Isn’t DAVE supposed to retain the DAC mode setting? Thanks in advance for your feedback :wink:

BE distributor answered this question. Query closed.

.. and what was the answer?

I am also happy Dave owner for 2 days )
Small first impression.. i found it better listened balanced output with amp, at least with my Grado.
It's night and day in compare to the direct SE output. Main difference space 3 dimensionality of the soundstage.
If I would give few best words to describe Dave sound, after you hear it for the first time is - clean (transparent) and neutral.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #13,063 of 25,896
.. and what was the answer?

I am also happy Dave owner for 2 days )
Small first impression.. need to be listened balanced out with amp, at least with my Grado.
It's night and day in compare to the direct SE output. Main difference space 3 dimensionality of the soundstage.

Hi Odessamarin,

Congratulations :) He said it’s normal behaviour and can be considered a safety measure to avoid sending a full load to the speakers. That would be an issue when connecting a power amp to DAVE and not paying attention (ok....you would notice, lol).

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #13,064 of 25,896
@Phenix

thanx.. you too!
But it think DAC mode is the same as 0dB pre amp mode. Correct? can somebody confirm please..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back