1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824
826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835
Next

Last
  1. ufospls2
    Thanks John. Looking forward to hearing it when I can : )

2. ecwl
    Me too. But since I’ve brought my Utopia and DAVE to my local Head-Fi meet a couple of times, I’ve found some people would prefer to listen at up to -10dB, depending on musical material of course. In general, I find most Head-Fi people locally listen to music at 5-15dB louder than me and rarely at 20dB louder. So my gut feeling is that @danish71 is closer to the norm than I am.

3. ufospls2
    Well, the iFi iDSD BL is a great bit of gear (and what I usually use during the daytime) but....

[​IMG]

It was time to bring the DAVE downstairs for a listening session today. While the HE6se does need more power than the DAVE offers, at lower volume listening, it is pretty impressive in terms of detail and clarity. I might not have an MScaler or BluMK2 but...oof. I sure do love the DAVE.

Aslshark and Triode User like this.
  4. x RELIC x Contributor
    Agreed. I’ve put some effort toward listening lower than I did in my youth and I feel it’s been very much worth it. I’m quite surprised sometimes at the average volume level I read from some users, but live and let live.

5. danish71
    Sounds like a wise choice. Often thought about it, but I think I will try to pay more attention. It's just so easy to fall into the pit of going louder and louder with this level of gear that exhibit virtually no distortion.

Aslshark likes this.
  6. Imusicman
    Most of my listening was done between -40db to -30db. On around 3500 tracks

7. rgs9200m
    Just wanted to say I'm getting spectacular sound with my DAVE and the Pioneer SEM1 headphones.
    See my comments in the Pioneer thread. It's quite different, but just as musical and satisfying as my Utopia/Lazuli Reference headphone. Really.

See my impressions in post #1721 on page 115 of the Pioneer thread from Sept 27, 2018 at 6:03 pm.
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pio...nes-se-master-1.764513/page-115#post-14509000

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  8. musickid
    rgs have you compared sony mdr z1r to pioneer both are within my price range for my next headphone i'm leaning to sony as pioneer could be too heavy?

9. rgs9200m
    I have not written yet to compare them directly, but I have both.
    But here's my take on things.

The Pioneer is more balanced, with a more natural bass to me, and is more tolerant with recording that are tipped up in the highs.
    The Sony is prone to some searing highs, that's why I use the Sony-Kimber cable with it to deal with it.

I just find the Pioneer more refined, which to me means that it is easier on the ears.
    I also love the detail on the Pioneer, where little background things are more developed than on the Sony, and in fact more developed than most headphones.

The bass is prominent in both of these headphones, but (especially after a lot of listening and I think break in with the Pioneer), Pioneer bass is not as pushy as the Sony.
    The Pioneer is just plain fun, and not assaultive.

If I am sounding like I prefer the Pioneer, well, the answer is yes.

I don't find the Pioneer heavy at all. I have even thought about or noticed the weight at all. It's a really comfortable headphone in every way. I am kind of obsessed with comfort in my headphones, and the Pioneer is great for me.

I'm keeping the Sony to complement the Pioneer because it's still nice and interesting and unique and I like variety.

But if I had to choose, the SEM1 is my choice. To me, it's a very special headphone.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Aslshark likes this.
  10. musickid
    The new Ether 2 at less than 300g sounds very promising. An excellent potential match for my H2/HMS.

maxh22 likes this.
  11. Jozurr
    An excellent match with that setup are the Utopias :)

xxx1313 likes this.
  12. GLM101
    Hi,

Sorry that I am very late to the DAVE party......but I have finally managed to get one! I still have not worked out why my wife said YES!

Could be a silly question coming up: When I use the DAVE through the USB lead the Bit rate does not change. For example playing VNV Nation Resonance it still says 44.1.
    However when I use an optical cable from my Cowon P1 it shows 88Khz!
    Could it be my laptop or me using Windows Media Player?

Aslshark likes this.
  13. burbster
    Hi, Firstly congrats on getting a DAVE! I use to use a PC for my music before switching to a dedicated server, I suspect that somewhere in your windows set up you have a fixed output set. I never used media player, but I do remember that without setting things up correctly windows likes to default to a set bitrate regardless of source bitrate. Can't remember exactly where, but you have to set up something that says allow source bit rate. Maybe some one more knowledgeable on here can give you a more specific answer.

14. AndrewOld
    The bit rate should change to match the recording. But unless you bypass the windows mixer windows itself will up or downsample. So the safest thing to do is to use a media player like J River Media Center with the Chord drivers and set it up to take exclusive control of the output. Then Windows does not get a chance to mess with the bitrate or anything - what goes to the DAC is what is on the file. J River have a 30 day free trial.

15. GLM101
    Thanks for your reply.

I will have a look through the windows set-up. I thought downloading the Chord driver would have been enough!
    I might try another player like JRiver or or Jet audio.

Tell you what, I am surprised about is the ease in which DAVE plays different types of music.
    Today I have played Tangerine Dream, Chroma Key, VNV Nation, Frequency Drift, Fruitcake, Sub Focus, Genesis and ELP and I never once had to adjust anything on the DAVE, it just took it in it's stride.
    Simply outstanding!! But of course most people on here know how good the DAVE is.

Once again, thanks for your swift reply.

Gideon

Aslshark and Imusicman like this.
First

Back
815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824
826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835
Next

Last