1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823
825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834
Next

Last
  1. rgs9200m
    Since there is a Blu-Dave name for a Blu2 + DAVE, is there a name for a DAVE with an M-Scaler yet (like Ms. Dave)?

2. Mojo ideas
    I’m quite aware of these digital Amps that Rob has been working on for many years. I can confirm that we are at least several years away, in producing any Amplifier comparable to the power performance of our new Etude Amplifier. These are just hitting the dealers in the coming weeks if your looking for a truly amazing amp I’d get a demo lined if you can.

3. jarnopp
    “HMS Dave” ?

4. JaZZ Contributor
    I would call it MS-Dave. Or, well, HMS-Dave or HMSDave.

The Swiss distributor just changed availability from «September» to «November». I'm patiently waiting and enjoying the great sound from DAVE and HE1000 till then.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  5. danish71
    My black Dave arrived today, and I am amazed how much better it is than my Merging NADAC and Hugo2. The sound is incredibly tangible and some times I feel the sound is just emanating out of the thin air and not from my Vivid Giyas! I can’t wait to plug in the Mscaler, hopefully in the beginning of next month.
    Now my “problem” is that I also ordered a Hugo TT2 for my office space, but now that I have listened to the Dave, I crave for the same sound quality in the office.
    Should I change the order to a second Dave instead of the TT2? On the other hand, I am also curious about the TT2, even though the Dave should be leaps and bounds better, right? I have plans for an MScaler in the office anyway, so maybe a TT2 is just fine.
    I know, it’s a rediculous first world problem:)

Aslshark, seaice and xxx1313 like this.
  6. miketlse
    Read the series of posts by @musickid as he explores what his H2 and MScaler can do together.
    Maybe a TT2 and MScaler could satisfy your needs in the short term.

7. Triode User
    Yes but MK isn’t used to a Dave . . . .

8. seaice
    If you plan to use a power-hungry headpones then the TT2 could be a good complement of Dave.

9. Jawed
    Hugo TT 2 is about 18W into 8ohms and seems to be equivalent to the "DX" amps ("power pulse array" is the other name you will see for the DX amps) in terms of transparency, purity and so on. Though that's a guess as I'm not sure how similar the DX amps will be.

So it would be very interesting to compare Hugo TT 2 against Etude to find out how much transparency is lost. Ideally you would connect DAVE directly to speakers, then compare TT2 against that and then Etude. As you gain "power" and "control", in theory you lose transparency and purity. Since DAVE's pulse array is better for transparency and purity than Hugo TT 2's less capable pulse array, there's some loss. Etude, because it uses significantly more electronics, will be theoretically even less transparent and probably less pure.

(It could also be said that the demands of a speaker connected to DAVE or TT 2, will harm transparency due to the demand for current. I don't know if that's true. It's simpler to make the comparisons! It will probably vary enormously with speaker efficiency and room size, let alone typical listening volume.)

Ideally, Chord would make a version of DAVE that had the TT 2 output circuitry. Why can't there be a DAVE 2 which only has one change: the power capability of Hugo TT 2? I think there would be a lot of people who would like to use such a DAVE 2. There might even be a lot of DAVE owners who would do that upgrade... Especially as there are several headphones out there that are considered too power hungry for DAVE to drive directly.

DAVE owners may not find Hugo TT 2 to be an upgrade if they are driving their speakers from DAVE, especially if they use efficient loudspeakers or listen in a close configuration. Power won't be so much of a problem and transparency will be the most important quality. So a DAVE 2 with enhanced output power could be very compelling.

Now playing: Angel Olsen - The Blacksmith

10. Triode User
    Maybe if the TT2 amp circuits are not as transparent as Dave then Dave owners would not be impressed but having an inferior amp tacked onto their Dave? I don't know just wondering so don't take it too seriously.

11. danish71
    I prefer speakers and use headphones only when there is a need to be quiet. For these moments I use Focal Utopias and Aeon Flow C, sometimes with a Luxman P-750u. (Still undecided whether to use a hp amp or not, but I’m addicted to the Luxman sound).
    So I guess I shouldn’t buy the TT2, if added power is the only thing, it brings to the table.
    I don’t need two highend DACs in the office, because one of them would turn into a quite expensive door stop. Have a second NADAC there already that will soon serve that purpose very well.

12. seaice
    According to opinions I saw here, Focal headphones (Utopia etc.) are very good with the headphone amp integrated in Dave, i.e. no need of stronger / external headphone amp.

I have Hifiman Susvara: They are not bad with Dave but more powerful headphone amps drive them better (with DAVE as source DAC).

13. Imusicman
    Utopia directly into the Dave is incredible. There’s really no need for any additional power at all. The Susvara on the other hand and a few others will need more power but really it is only few.
    Unless you have these headphones I really don’t see a need for anything else.

bidn and xxx1313 like this.
  14. danish71
    Just plugged the Utopias into the Dave for the first time. I wonder at which volume people are listening to with this combo. My initial thought is that the Dave has to be turned up to -20dB before the Utopias come to life - depending on the recording of course.

15. x RELIC x Contributor
    I listen at -30dB to -40dB on the DAVE depending on the track with the Utopia (in a quiet environment).

First

Back
814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823
825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834
Next

Last