Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Sep 8, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #1,711 of 2,189
Thank you. You just saved me from investing some money.
Well. Maybe that money can go to the Axios Silver Cable. I wonder if there is a difference with the Pioneer Balanced Cable that I have.
i suggest that you listen to the utopia for yourself and come to your own conclusion. i must say that i haven't noticed the kind of dramatic change in the utopia's sound signature that @Pastwa has described, and i've had mine for almost a year.

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #1,712 of 2,189
i suggest that you listen to the utopia for yourself and come to your own conclusion. i must say that i haven't noticed the kind of dramatic change in the utopia's sound signature that @Pastwa has described, and i've had mine for almost a year.

I agree with Up Late, best thing you can do is just listen to the headphones, I had like 5 pairs of Utopias over last year and there was a slight difference in sound quality between each pair, which is normal, it is a hand made transducer and its quality can not be sustained. After few weeks with Utopias I can say they are a very good headphones but Pioneers win in almost every aspect except maybe piano reproduction, which is a bit more intimate via Utopias.

Sep 8, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #1,713 of 2,189
Yes. That’s what I’ll do. Thanks

Sep 8, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #1,714 of 2,189
I agree with Up Late, best thing you can do is just listen to the headphones, I had like 5 pairs of Utopias over last year and there was a slight difference in sound quality between each pair, which is normal, it is a hand made transducer and its quality can not be sustained. After few weeks with Utopias I can say they are a very good headphones but Pioneers win in almost every aspect except maybe piano reproduction, which is a bit more intimate via Utopias.
i've not had the opportunity to try the sem-1 as it's not available for audition here, which is disappointing as i was keen to experience it. it used to be carried by a local headphone store but that was some time ago and it doesn't appear to carry it anymore. it looks unlikely that i'll get a chance to put your claim to the test. :wink:

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #1,715 of 2,189
Even dough I prefer my Pioneers over the Utopias (as they suit a bit better my classical music taste), I could probably happily live with either of them, including the excellent Final Audio D8000 ;"))

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #1,716 of 2,189
If someone is selling a Balanced Kimber Cable for the SE Master 1 Iwould be interested.
Thanks

Sep 15, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #1,717 of 2,189
Please, consider as an alternative, the silver (Silver Statement) cable from Audio Sensibility (not so much marketing but a lot of experience/knowledge), they can manufacture it as a balanced cable if you ask. A very good price/sound quality ratio, the OCC silver they use does not sound bright/light at all.

Sep 15, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #1,718 of 2,189
Please, consider as an alternative, the silver (Silver Statement) cable from Audio Sensibility (not so much marketing but a lot of experience/knowledge), they can manufacture it as a balanced cable if you ask. A very good price/sound quality ratio, the OCC silver they use does not sound bright/light at all.
Thanks Man. I’ll do.

Sep 20, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #1,719 of 2,189
I have been comparing my now broken in Focal Utopia headphones with my Pioneer SE-M1 this evening. Remember this is in my opinion your mileage may differ!

I have had more head time with the SE-M1 than the Utopias.

Gear used:

Digitally ripped wave files uncompressed unless otherwise described below.

Source Sony Walkman NW-WM1A using the Sony Walkman adaptor into

Sony Headphone amplifier & dac TA-ZH1ES using DSEE HX setting.

Focal Utopia single ended

Pioneer SE Master 1 single ended.

Build & Comfort
SE-M1 the headphones feel more comfortable 9/10 Utopia 8/10
Build quality of both headphones is magnificent the Utopias cable however has much better build quality. BQ Focal 9/10 all SE-M1 H/P 8/10

Following comparisons were made in quite bedroom environment in the dark, eyes closed most of the time, with no distractions.
I alternated track by track unless mentioned below

First Tracks came from digital rip of Rush Moving Pictures album
Moving Pictures
Label:
Mercury ‎– 800 048-2
Format:
CD, Album, Reissue
UK & Europe
Released:
25 Feb 1987
Tracks:
Tom Sawyer dynamic range (dr) 14
Red Barchetta dr 14

Tom Sawyer
Utopia
Serious detail - this is an extremely good recording for a rock cd from the eighties. The recording on most non flagship headphones will sound decent. On the Utopias it sounded hyper-detailed, this might be distracting for some, however it was coherent and overall very enjoyable. The synthersiers sound really awesome with great texture, Neil Perts drum roll pan really well in the mix on this h/p. The song IMO felt a little over caffeinated with the Utopias.
SE-M1 Slightly less detail - but not by very much, these h/p ceramic drivers are nipping at the Utopias beryllium drivers heels. On this recording and song I preferred the SE-M1 slightly more relaxed and less caffeinated presentation. The drums and bass guitar sounded IMO more enjoyable. The guitars were equally good, the Utopias were more accurate on the Syntherzers.

Red Barchetta
This track is a wonderful test for any headphones capabilities with guitar riffs - and this one is an air guitarists dream complete with duck walk!
Both headphones performed really well with the edge going to the SE-M1 because of the previously mentioned contrasts. I would say the Utopias did sound more realistic, so technically slightly better. The SE-M1 sounded more enjoyable.

The Ruts
Something That I Said - The Best Of The Ruts
(I first heard this on vinyl in 1980)

Label:
Virgin ‎– CDOVD 454, Virgin ‎– 7243 8 40194 2 6
Series:
Virgin Choice Cuts
Format:
CD, Compilation
Europe
Released:
20 Feb 1995
Track
West One (Shine on me) dr 14
This track IMO is The Ruts - Magnum Opus song & Malcolm Owen’s - (RIP) their former vocalist’s finest moment.

The SE-M1 sounded a bit veiled (duller) on this track compared with the Utopias. The SE-M1 slightly relaxed presentation did not work as well here as previously. Overall I much preferred the Utopias brighter signature. The reason why, is because this song is served best with pure adrenaline. It has great pace, guitars, awesome drums with wonderful layering throughout and particularly at the end of the track, when the song has a dramatic pause, only to recomence with a stirring drum roll, followed by bass guitar, lead guitar, synth effects, Gary Barnicle’s wonderful saxophone followed by Owen’s distinctive great vocals. The Utopias really brought the best (read excitement) out of this cut and their ability to shine a light deep into the mix was really appreciated for me. Great track to test any decent headphone on.

The La’s - The La's (with bonus tracks)
Label Go! Discs
Tracks
I.O.U dr 12
I.O.U (Bonus Track - Alternative Version dr 11

Vocals - Lee Maver‘s scouse accent is more distinct on the Utopias. These cuts are acoustical driven tracks, and sounded great on both headphones. The Utopias piped the SE-M1 at the post on both of these tracks with just a bit more agility shining through. The SE-M1 were not embarrassed at all but were IMO bettered by the Utopias ability to render the vocals and guitars more realistically.

So there you go. Early days for me at this stage and neither headphone disappoints. Imagining I find very similar, soundstage is a bit more spacious on the SE-M1.

I find them both very complimentary, I am surprised at how detailed yet musical the Utopias are unlike the HD800s except aside from a few tracks.

I will try both headphones on a better rig and perhaps in balanced config(GSX MK2 & Mirus Pro dac) at a later time (as I’m working away from home atm)

I hope this will be of some use to headfiers and at least encourage you all to have a listen to the tracks listed above. Have a great & musical weekend all.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #1,720 of 2,189
interesting comparison. keep them coming. :relaxed: you refer to the utopia's coherence, making it very enjoyable overall and this is one of its qualities that i find myself referring to whenever i describe its presentation. while it is a technical wonder, it serves the music and never sounds analytical to me.

Sep 27, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #1,721 of 2,189
I finally (after years of curiosity) picked up the Pioneer (a new one) and at first listen I am very happy with what I am hearing.
It's an overall very musical, sweet, engaging sound.

And the key word is engaging, with the individual musical objects sounding simultaneously non-hyped-up and also very, very articulate.

Vocals and lyrics are very well delineated and very legible, but not in a dreaded way that screams accuracy. This is a very neat trick.
And also what jumps out at me is the atmospherics and space, like a warm inviting room.

Vocals are natural without roughness or grain, but not washed out at all or muffled.

It is very free of digital glare or sibilance.

The coloration I hear is some upper-bass accentuation, but it is pleasant and not boomy, but not exactly natural. I think this is what makes the Pioneer's sound unique.
But note that this is ever-present, so be aware of that.
But again, it's done well, so the Pioneer could be a nice complement to a more neutral headphone.

This is definitely a headphone that is great if you are suffering from fatiguing highs or upper mids or excessive punch. It's a friendly sound.

I wouldn't call the sound dry or liquid, or at least neither of these qualities jump out at me. But the tonality just sounds right.

There is plenty of openness and depth and very nice separation of musical components, each one in it's own space with nice air around things.

Gee, these are very fine and nothing like the scary early comments I read a few years ago.
I don't know if they have changed or what, but I really recommend the Pioneer.

I'm listening as I write and I am joyously lost in the sound.

More subjectively, it's a big, joyous, live sound, great for guilty-pleasure listening.
(I just put on my Kinks Greatest Hits, and like a party in my head. Can't stop listening. Just put them on and turn it up.)

And this may sound strange, but the Pioneer is an emotional headphone. When a song is good, it just sinks in fast and evokes all sorts of feelings for the song and puts a smile on my face. It appeals the the heart more than the head.

System: Chord DAVE-->Rudistor RP010B amp with Stealth Sakra ICs and AQ Diamond USB cable. (All single ended cables.)
All listening in bit-perfect mode via Jriver.

Happy to join the (small) club (cult?) for the SEM1.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #1,722 of 2,189
SEM1 is extremely underrated. I'm always glad to see more people discover how good it really is.

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #1,723 of 2,189
Yep, it's definitely the biggest case of under-rating I've ever seen from my feelings about this headphone. It's a shame because I think people have been ignoring a different but in its own way awesome level of performance and musicality.

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #1,724 of 2,189
i've been interested in the sem-1 from the outset but it's been hard to come by - at least where i live anyway

Sep 28, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #1,725 of 2,189
Yep, it's definitely the biggest case of under-rating I've ever seen from my feelings about this headphone. It's a shame because I think people have been ignoring a different but in its own way awesome level of performance and musicality.

Could not have said it better..............love this headphone and think folks overlooked it for whatever reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back