1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811
813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822
Next

Last
  1. audio_1
    I have a question for Rob about the single output stage in the Pulse array DAC. Is the choice of capacitors and resistors in the signal path very critical for sound quality? Many power amplifiers now use direct coupled designs with servos to control DC offset. Does the type of capacitor affect the linearity of the output stage? Where these capacitors chosen with listening tests?

2. doraymon
    Yes I agree but it's going to be impossible to try them before buying, I'm not in the US...

3. Rob Watts
    The coupling caps make a huge difference to SQ, with the best being teflon or PTFE, and this is down to dielectric absorption. But PTFE caps are horrendously expensive.

But the best coupling cap is none at all... Which is what I do, in that there is no coupling caps at all. But conventional analogue DC servos actually do have an integrating cap in the signal path, and this will create distortion and noise, and so change SQ. What I do is to use a digital DC servo, where the OP from the analogue DC servo, the DC integrator, is fed to an ADC, then the FPGA removes all of the distortion and noise by filtering it all out - so a DC trim is applied to the noise shaper, thus ensuring offsets are below 0.1mV but zero added distortion and noise. Indeed, switching the digital DC servo on and off resulted in no change in SQ at all.

So in SQ terms it has no coupling capacitors at all. The only downside to the system is it takes 16 seconds for the OP to stabilise - hence why the rainbow mode on Qutest, Hugo 2, TT2 and the delay with Dave upon turn on.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    onsionsi, darkless, hmartin and 4 others like this.
  4. S Crowther
    I only use the DAC for headphones. It is fed from MBP via USB using moon audio silver dragon cable. Then out SE to the head phone amp. Different amp depending on the headphones being used: usually V281 for planars, Head-Box RS for HD800s. See my profile.

5. rgs9200m
    If we are talking about proper English here, if I got a dime for every time someone uses "euphoric" instead of "euphonic" or "base" for "bass" ...

But I always just tell myself it's the thought that counts, so don't worry, be happy.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  6. jonstatt
    I have never seen a glossy black Dave! But the finishes on my Dave and Blu are not an exact match. The "sheen" is about the same but the Dave has a rougher grain to it, and the texture is not the same on the bevelled edges. You wouldn't notice this unless looking fairly closely though. If I was being pedantic I find it odd that the bevelled edge that goes all the way around the top of the casings of both Dave and Blu is not the same thickness between Blu and Dave. Could you show us a pic of your Dave and Blu?

7. Matez
    That's a small price to pay.:L3000:

8. musickid
    Anymore than 16 seconds and that would be me out of this audio hobby for good.........no two ways about it..:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

9. yellowblue
    xxx1313 and Jiffi32 like this.
  10. STR-1
    Do you hear any other improvements in addition to soundstage? I have both a Curious cable (20cm) and an original Lush cable (70cm) and they are very different - a little more air and detail with the brighter Curious, more warmth, heart and soul with the Lush, though sacrificing a smidgen of detail to my ears, which is why I prefer not to use the Lush in connecting my Zenith SE to the tX-USBultra (wanting to send as much detail as possible into the tX-U). Are the difference in sound easy to hear with the different configurations?

11. yellowblue
    Because of the 10.000 possible different configurations of the Lush^2 you always have to talk about which configuration you choose. I have chosen a little odd configuration which gives me an extreme holographic effect which I personally like with my Utopias (not so much with my other headphones). But I think as the Lush 1 did even the Lush^2 gererally adds warmth and "soul". It generates more bass than the Curious and slightly more details in the midths. I don´t think that I loose some details in the treble though. Hard to tell about the air because the Lush^2 creates this fantastic soundstage which differs totally from the Curious.
    I tried to describe it here
    https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...periences/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-871657

12. Triode User
    Interesting stuff with your cables guys.

'Soundstage, Detail, Air and Brighter' are all descriptions that I have come to associate with RF noise . . . . .

With digital cables, darker, less bright, less immediate detail and less loud are instead what I now search out and then let my ears adjust to the new accurate sound and then the real detail comes through.

Just a thought. Plenty of IMO and YMMV of course because I accept that we all look for the sound we like and that is all that really matters

13. yellowblue
    I expected that someone would ask about RF noise. But I don´t think that´s the matter with the Lush^2 because it has a special shielding (JSSG 360 - more about that on CA). For me it´s OK to stop the discussion here at this point because a more detailed discussion belongs to other forums - as CA.

14. Triode User
    Sure, if you don't want to continue the debate that's fine. For me though, it is more about considering the RF generated by sources and in which cases shielding is not really relevant.

Deftone likes this.
  15. burbster
    Hi, apologies if this has been asked previously, but with a 220V supply what is the potential maximum current pull of the Dave? When googling this it comes up with a power consumption of 20w, but surely it is a lot more than this????

First

Back
802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811
813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822
Next

Last