1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813
815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824
Next

Last
  1. iDesign
    While we are on the subject of SoTM, does anyone have experience with the DAVE and the SMS-200 Ultra Neo? I also understand @romaz has been using an custom Intel NUC with great results but I don’t have a full understanding of his setup and would love to learn more about it.

2. Imusicman
    Would I be right in thinking all the posts referring to SOTM Ultra and Ultra USB and $1000 usb cables are about using the Dave within a speaker set up?

Would there be any benefit using these products on a more simpler set up is IMac to Dave to Headphone?

3. Triode User
    Not to pour too much cold water but I have never seen any post from RW saying he could hear any difference at all between USB cables into Dave. Obviously I am a convert to digital cables having an influence but that is in the context of RF being got rid of on the BNC cables to give a warmer, darker sound but what is meant to be happening on USB cables? What are the cables doing, filtering RF or what?

Just interested.

Rhamnetin likes this.
  4. xxx1313
    We also never saw a post of RW preferring an expensive streamer or media server over his notebook as source/transport, right? I respect his opinion very much and also yours. What do you think makes BNC/SPDIF/Coax so different from USB regarding RF? I use ferrites on the USB cables too, even though the SP1000 runs on battery and should not emit much EMI/RFI, but I am living in a noisy environment. I can hear every change in the digital part of the audio chain easily (yes, DAVE alone is so resolving, and it will be even more so with M Scaler added, which I already ordered). I agree that one can be happy with using Toslink as input, which is good without additional tweaking. But USB is even more enjoyable and "better" to me, with good cables and a reclocker, even though the SP1000 is not at all a bad source/transport.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  5. Rob Watts
    Yes I haven't ever heard a change using certified USB cables; that is cables that have been tested and comply with USB standards. I recall hearing one audiophile USB cable sounding brighter, and was consistent with more RF noise from the cable, so the cable had been "tuned" as an RF generator...

And servers and reclockers - on the occasions I have heard these, all sounded brighter with poorer depth - and is consistent with more RF noise, and more correlated noise injection. Adding extra boxes, will always increase overall noise levels, and my DACs certainly do not need any form of jitter treatment. A battery powered bit perfect source supplies the ultimate digital source, as so long as no mains power or grounds are attached, we have perfect ground isolation.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    miketlse, masterpfa, onsionsi and 2 others like this.
  6. iDesign
    You just saved me $1,400. Thank you, Rob.

7. Imusicman
    Can you please tell me what you are using to connect the SP100 to the Dave. I would like to try this. Thanks

8. STR-1
    Deleted

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  9. astrostar59
    Nice. But I would say try the current Roon build, it beats the pants off Audirvana+ 3 and I was a fanboy until I tried it. Smoother and or master tape like. Thank me later....

10. STR-1
    We are starting to hear about some early experiences with the SMS-200 Ultra Neo on this thread over on CA (last page) - https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...s-talk-about-sotm-sms-200-ultra/?tab=comments But nothing yet with the DAVE.

This is the last post I have seen from romaz about his sytem - https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...udio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=860030

11. tunes
    It amazes me that I spent so much on a TOTL DAC and can’t get a reasonable Toslink cable that works at 192/24. I just paid $80 for a Sysconcepts cable for which the company claims works at that resolution but only get pops and static. The connection to the optical port on the DAVE seems feeble and tried pushing in as far as possible and no go. Also tried a cheap KabelDirekt cable and same problem for 192/24, static and no signal to DAVE. How can I be sure the problem is not with the DAVE’s optical input? Tried both OPT 1 and 2 with same results. I need a 6 foot run as I operate from a DAP as my music server. USB works fine from an Apple lap top but the DAP does not have USB. Are there any other cables quaranteed to work with DAVE at 192/24? Why isn’t the optical ports on the DAVE industry standards or have issues?

12. flyte3333
    It sounds like you're going through the identical thing I went through. The SysConcept never worked with mine at 192KHz, even though I had no issues with the same cable with Mojo and Hugo2...

If you go through my posts after this, you'll see that I found the source is more critical for Dave - I say more critical, because the same sources that I had working with Mojo and Hugo2 (and cables) wouldn't work at 192KHz with Dave.

I confirmed that a Bluesound Node2 and Oppo 205 would work at 192KHz with the KabelDirekt cable.

If you're going to be trying different cables and sources with Dave, make sure your seller has a good returns policy, so you can try as many things risk free, as possible.

13. Crgreen
    Does anyone know th technical name for the optical termination which fits with the Dave? The supplied optical cable fits fine, at both ends - no wobbling - but is restricted to 1 metre or so.

14. seaice
    You are looking for a TOSLINK connector (JIS F05): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

I use some inexpensive Bandridge Toslink cables (2 and 3 metres) and they are OK with Dave: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=bandridge+toslink&rh=i:aps,k:bandridge+toslink

15. Crgreen
    Thanks. It looks like there are two or three different Toslink terminations, and Dave provides optical sockets with which most Toslink cables don’t have a snug fit. The termination wobbles slightly, though still works. Are you saying the Toslink termination on the supplied cable, which clicks into place and is a perfect fit, is definitely type JIS F05?

First

Back
804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813
815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824
Next

Last