CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 26, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #12,136 of 25,904
Mine is people using verbs as nouns: "launch" instead of "launching". e.g. " the launch of a new Chord product". A launch is a small boat.

What nonsense. According to the OED, “launch” can be used a a verb or a noun, and in the case of the latter gives the example: “The launch of a new campaign against drinking and driving”. As a noun “launch” also means a small motor boat.

So: what can we conclude? You guys would be better sticking to talk about ferrites.

Aug 26, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #12,137 of 25,904
What nonsense. According to the OED, “launch” can be used a a verb or a noun, and in the case of the latter gives the example: “The launch of a new campaign against drinking and driving”. As a noun “launch” also means a small motor boat.

So: what can we conclude? You guys would be better sticking to talk about ferrites.
The policy of the OED is I believe to reflect current usage.

Aug 26, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #12,138 of 25,904

But you’re saying currrent usage is wrong. I’ve done a quick Google search, and I can find nothing to suggest that instead of “The launch of” you should say “The launching of”. Indeed, The former is a noun and I think the latter is an adjectival use of a verb, with which some might take issue, though I don’t.

Are you suggesting the OED, and all the online dictionaries I’ve checked, are wrong? If so, can you cite some better authority? For most people, the OED is sufficient.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #12,139 of 25,904
The english language has been continually evolving for at least two thousand years, so anyone trying to insist that any dictionary remains fixed and unchanging, is fighting a losing battle.
Following that approach is used in France, but most people prefer current usage, rather than trying to seem as if they are stuck in previous centuries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Académie_française

Aug 26, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #12,140 of 25,904
But you’re saying currrent usage is wrong. I’ve done a quick Google search, and I can find nothing to suggest that instead of “The launch of” you should say “The launching of”. Indeed, The former is a noun and I think the latter is an adjectival use of a verb, to which some might take issue, though I don’t.

Are you suggesting the OED, and all the online dictionaries I’ve checked, are wrong? If so, can you cite some better authority? For most people, the OED is sufficient.
Not at all. Read my post. I said it was my pet hate. Current usage is neither right nor wrong: it is a fact, for good or ill. Try "the reveal of the new Chord product". I was taught to use a gerund in that kind of phrase.
Anyway hopelessly off topic.

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #12,141 of 25,904
Not at all. Read my post. I said it was my pet hate. Current usage is neither right nor wrong: it is a fact, for good or ill. Try "the reveal of the new Chord product". I was taught to use a gerund in that kind of phrase.
Anyway hopelessly off topic.

That’s a poor example, as “reveal” in that sense can only be used as a verb (it can also be used as a noun, but means something different). My point was simple: “launch” as a noun is not restricted to meaning a small boat, and so far as I can tell, never has. What you were taught has no application in this case. If you’re going to have pet hates, it’s probabably best if they have some foundation and are not mere whims or the result of confusion.

As you say, this is all off-topic, but you did decide to raise it.

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #12,142 of 25,904
OK, in an effort to try and steer us back to something 'Dave' related, I have just ordered a Dave in Black here in the UK and have been told I will have a 6 week wait, is this generally the same elsewhere? I suspect the units are too expensive for stores to keep a stock?

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #12,143 of 25,904
I should have said 'in stock' before anyone else comments on poor use of the English language. :)

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #12,144 of 25,904
The english language has been continually evolving for at least two thousand years, so anyone trying to insist that any dictionary remains fixed and unchanging, is fighting a losing battle.
Following that approach is used in France, but most people prefer current usage, rather than trying to seem as if they are stuck in previous centuries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Académie_française

I don’t think anybody would suggest that. Usage and grammatical rules or conventions change. On the other hand, as with any language, it’s not a case of anything goes. Where you draw the line in any particular case is often the subject of heated debate, but in this case the point being made seems incorrect according to any usage, past or present - “launch” can be used, and has always been used, as both a verb and a noun. Having said that, I don’t have a copy of the full OED which gives examples of the earliest known use of words.

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #12,145 of 25,904
OK, in an effort to try and steer us back to something 'Dave' related, I have just ordered a Dave in Black here in the UK and have been told I will have a 6 week wait, is this generally the same elsewhere? I suspect the units are too expensive for stores to keep a stock?
Yes, the more expensive items such as DAVE and Blu2 are made to order, so it is inevitable that there is some waiting period.
It is less risky for dealers to keep stock of the cheaper items such as Mojo and Poly. Also they are produced in large batches, so in the event that a dealer is out of stock, there is only a short delay to new stocks arriving.

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #12,146 of 25,904

I think 6 weeks is the standard time given to dealers for the Dave. It’s what I was told, but it took 2 months. That was in silver and it seems black might take longer. I think they are all made to order.

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #12,147 of 25,904
Lol, dave thread is now ruined.

Some of you lot need your life support turned off.

Tell me, were you all as bad as this before you bought a Dave, or is being miserable a side effect from owning / using one ?

If it’s a side effect, then I will never buy one, as I don’t want to be as “miserable and stuck up” as some of you here.

Jolly good chap’s, I will see you at the next polo event.

Bumbling buffoons.

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #12,148 of 25,904

Tell me, were you all as bad as this before you bought a Dave, or is being miserable a side effect from owning / using one ?

If it’s a side effect, then I will never buy one, as I don’t want to be as “miserable and stuck up” as some of you here.

Bumbling buffoons.

Good news. It sounds like we won’t have to put up with your rambling posts any longer. Mission accomplished.

Aug 26, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #12,149 of 25,904
Good news. It sounds like we won’t have to put up with your rambling posts any longer. Mission accomplished.

Oh, I am still here

My ramblings > being pretentious.....

How do I know this ?

It’s because you don’t have a copy of the full OED.

That alone puts you into the “at risk of suicide” category.

Mission Accomplished can only be declared if the Launch was successful.

Nasa has confirmed, a new Challenger blew up on launch.

In 1986.

Your mission/post was always doomed to failure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 26, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #12,150 of 25,904

Bumbling buffoons.

Ha Ha, very good, unfortunately Polo never took off in the welsh valleys, can't think why. Shame really, I love nothing more than a good game of Polo followed by a few pints and a curry!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back