1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812
814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823
Next

Last
  1. Triode User
    I’m not sure of the exact amount and it will depend if you are driving speakers direct from Dave but it will be round about the same as that figure or maybe slightly more, ie about the same as a lightbulb.

2. burbster
    Thank you!

3. Deftone
    Dont forget dual data input.

4. Deftone
    Please dont go in the blu2 thread, you will come out with an order for 700 ferrite beads.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Ultrainferno and musickid like this.
  5. STR-1
    This is a question I am hoping someone with experience of using a usb regenerator with their DAVE can answer. While I accept that any usb cable feeding into DAVE (or Blu2) must carry 5v power for handshake purposes, is this also the case for a usb cable connecting a server to the usb regenerator (in my case, a tX-USBultra), with the powered usb cable then connecting the regenerator to DAVE/Blu2? I am wondering, if it can be used, whether an unpowered cable between server and regenerator would likely give better sound quality, all other things being equal. Unfortunately, I don’t have an unpowered cable to try and want to be sure it would work before buying one. Thanks for any thoughts.

6. burbster
    I can't actually answer your question sorry, I would assume that as your USB regenerator has its only supply it would not require the 5v computer supply but it may not be that simple. (apparently it depends on the USB chipset as to whether it supports a DATA only connection). I would however be interested to know what benefits you have seen with this device and what device you are using as your server/streamer. Thanks.

7. paul2qute
    Recently I've not been enjoying my music, it's got to be listening through the x box, just can't get into any music I play, role on death oops meant til I get my hugo TT 2.Some music I would be up body popping or doing the moon walk while pouring the wine into the glasses but no nothing.It's mad but 4 grand is nothing to me on the hugo TT 2 and I'll be getting the m scaler as well at some point, if I go shopping for anything else I'm well switched on and careful with my money but when it comes to hi-fi all commonsense goes out the window

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    masterpfa likes this.
  8. TheAttorney
    I measured this a while back. From memory, it was indeed under 20W when fully operational, dropping to below 10W in Standby.

Standby mode does keep some of the circuitry active - seemingly more on the input side. For those who like to burn-in their posh new USB/ethernet cables, a USB-connected source "sees" a standby DAVE, and will happily play music to it, so you can burn-in your upstream cables/components 24/7 and still help save the planet (if only by a little bit).

9. HeeBroG
    I just tried my unpowered Sablon USB cable between my Mac Mini and tX-USBultra to Blu2 and it works fine.
    Not sure if this applies to all "servers" however.
    I use Audirvana and Blu2 is recognised as an "audio device" connected in this fashion.
    It didn't work between the tX and Blu2 however as the "powered" handshake is required.

It actually sounds very good in this configuration instead of Ethernet out to sMS-200 via SOtM modified switch. Seems less bright/etched which is a good thing. I'm going to leave it like this for a while actually.

STR-1 likes this.
  10. STR-1
    Thanks for that. I have also been thinking about Sablon USB cables and am currently exchanging emails with Mark at Sablon about these. I was thinking of trying just the powered cable but now think I will also give the unpowered cable a try. I've gained the impression reading various write-ups that the Reserva Elite USB cable falls somewhere between the Curious and the Lush cables, with a tonal balance slightly nearer to the Lush but with the Curious cable's level of detail retrieval. If that turns out to be the case, this cable has the potential to be my ideal cable.

11. HeeBroG
    The new Lush2 is an intriguing cable for the tweaker with multiple options for shielding

12. xxx1313
    The Sablon Panatela Reserva Elite IS a brilliant USB cable. You named some of its important characteristics already. In my setup, it is at least one class better than the other two cables that you mentioned (and they are good USB cables as well). I use two powered versions of the Reserva Elite, before and after tx-USBultra. It sounds both highly resolving and so natural, life like.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  13. STR-1
    Thanks. Do you find it easy to hear the difference between cables that feed into the tX-U?

14. xxx1313
    Yes. You can try one cable first (this will show you the general quality of the Reserva Elite), but you will need to replace both cables, also the one feeding the tx-U. Bad news for your wallet, but good for your happiness afterwards. :wink:

Mark has a great return policy. So you can try one cable in standard length first, and buy the second cable afterwards. If the first cable convinces you (I am quite sure it will), then you will probably need a second one of his cables.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    STR-1 likes this.
  15. xxx1313
    Double post. sorry.

First

Back
803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812
814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823
Next

Last