CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 16, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #9,571 of 25,901
the 3 best IMHO in order of preference would be Abyss Phi/LCD-4/Utopia with honorable mention to the HE1000v2.....I only briefly heard the Susvara at canjam and have never heard the stax

Dec 16, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #9,573 of 25,901
I tend to use the Dave/blu combo without the 430 more often than not.....very different sound with the 430 which is a superb amp

Dec 17, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #9,574 of 25,901
you mention the Supra CAT 8 , and i was just woundering if you have unwraped the “gold plated” shielding on one of the RJ45 ends yet, so you get a floating ground? I did this, and it did a pretty big improvment

Well.I do enjoy free tweaks so thank you for the idea, but in this case I'm hesitant because...

I can't see how I could do this without damaging the cable.

I already have 20+ ferrites on my cable which make it awkward to manoeuvre now, and I'd expect the ferrites to give much the same improvements as a floating ground - maybe more as they affect all the wires.
Have you compared floating ground with ferrites? Do they comlement or replace each other?

Dec 17, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #9,575 of 25,901
Do those ferrites put any pressure on a good USB cable like an audioquest diamond? I wouldn't want to make any physical mark on it or squeeze it.

And how many are needed per meter of cable length and where should they be placed on the cable?

And could someone please point me to any impressions on the sonics here on headfi or elsewhere? I didn't see much in a quick google search. I see lots of theoretical technical reasons, but I have not seen much in the way of listening impressions.

Thanks for any comments on all my questions here.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #9,576 of 25,901
You don't need to use a good USB cable with your ferrites. The white USB cable that comes with DAVE is all you need. Put 20 of these on the cable nearest to DAVE:

https://www.amazon.co.uk//dp/B01N4U91RS

that's two packs. They should all be next to each other and it doesn't matter if they touch each other. Just make sure they're all close to DAVE. You don't need to cover the entire cable. You should not space them along the entire length of the cable.

For me the sound quality improvement was huge, thousands of pounds worth. I've written lots about it on this and the Blu 2 thread. So have a few others.

Now playing : Cinematic Orchestra - Man With A Movie Camera soundtrack

Dec 17, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #9,577 of 25,901
So would you say that a $25 investment in 20 ferrite cores on the stock USB cable would render as much SQ enhancement as an over $400 investment in an Audioqest Diamond USB cable?

As far as power conditioners, isn’t there a device that can measure how clean or dirty the mains power is coming out of each home? It would be a waste to spend $3500 on a PS 5 if there wasn’t a real audible difference. Also, doesn’t it depend on time of day you listen and what other appliances share the load??
Look guys, for the power consumption of the Dave or indeed Blu2 one could use bell wire or lighting flex to power them from the mains and yet the special cables stress OFC credentials for improved current handling capabilities, gold plated connections etc etc. And I f they have any shielding capabilities then remember that is only the last 3 feet after the electricity leaves the wall. What about the tens of feet of cable in the wall? Don’t forget that noise, if any, can be filtered out of a mains cable by some cheap ferrites if needed (although I think Rob W has always said they are not needed on mains cables so I think that tells us something).

The brain is always going to make the ears believe that the fat brightly coloured cable sounds better no doubt helped by the fat price tag. Sorry but I can’t believe otherwise intelligent people buy these cables.

Dec 17, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #9,578 of 25,901
So would you say that a $25 investment in 20 ferrite cores on the stock USB cable would render as much SQ enhancement as an over $400 investment in an Audioqest Diamond USB cable?

As far as power conditioners, isn’t there a device that can measure how clean or dirty the mains power is coming out of each home? It would be a waste to spend $3500 on a PS 5 if there wasn’t a real audible difference. Also, doesn’t it depend on time of day you listen and what other appliances share the load??

FWIW Amazon stocks the AudioQuest Diamond usb with amazon fulfillment... so one can always try it and return if no go.

(I am not an AQ owner nor hater, so no agenda here...just info that may be helpful...)

Dec 17, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #9,579 of 25,901
Far, far more.

Now playing: Wolf Larsen - Kitchen Door

Dec 18, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #9,580 of 25,901
Do those ferrites put any pressure on a good USB cable like an audioquest diamond? I wouldn't want to make any physical mark on it or squeeze it.

Yes they can mark the cable, depending on how the cable grip at each end of the ferrite is designed - bearing in mind that a tight fit is recommended for best performance Some ferrites have no grips, some like Topnisus have substantial, stiff grips.
The Wurth grips are less stiff than Topnisus, but are thinner - they did slightly mark the mesh finish of my pricey TQ Black Diamond USB. This didn't bother me much as I have no intention of selling it on, but be warned.

I've not compared whether my TQ USB cable with about 20 ferrites is any better than the stock USB with same number of ferrites. But my inclination to to follow romaz's comment a while back that there must be more to a digital cable then just RFI rejection.

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #9,581 of 25,901
Yes they can mark the cable, depending on how the cable grip at each end of the ferrite is designed - bearing in mind that a tight fit is recommended for best performance Some ferrites have no grips, some like Topnisus have substantial, stiff grips.
The Wurth grips are less stiff than Topnisus, but are thinner - they did slightly mark the mesh finish of my pricey TQ Black Diamond USB. This didn't bother me much as I have no intention of selling it on, but be warned.

I've not compared whether my TQ USB cable with about 20 ferrites is any better than the stock USB with same number of ferrites. But my inclination to to follow romaz's comment a while back that there must be more to a digital cable then just RFI rejection.
So I suppose the best compromise between price/performance with the additional inexpensive 20 ferrite upgrade and a slightly better USB cable than stock would make sense. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced higher quality USB cable over stock?

Dec 18, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #9,583 of 25,901
If I was starting from scratch, I'd first get a reference point with stock cable with lots of ferrites. Then bring in a more expensive cable as try-before-you-buy, then only buy it if you hear an worthwhile improvement.
I've not compared USB cables for 2 or 3 years since I bought my TQ. But the current flavour of month USB cable at a not insane price is the Phasure Lush at about $270, particularly if you're after a warmer/richer presentation.

Dec 18, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #9,584 of 25,901
If I was starting from scratch, I'd first get a reference point with stock cable with lots of ferrites. Then bring in a more expensive cable as try-before-you-buy, then only buy it if you hear an worthwhile improvement.
I've not compared USB cables for 2 or 3 years since I bought my TQ. But the current flavour of month USB cable at a not insane price is the Phasure Lush at about $270, particularly if you're after a warmer/richer presentation.

I agree with what you in the first part of that. It is sensible advice.

But how can a USB cable give a "warmer/richer presentation"? I am assuming by filtering out RF or EMI in which case it might be that it still might be cheaper to look at ferrites first.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back