CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 6, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #9,451 of 25,909
Dec 6, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #9,452 of 25,909
But that is more or less meaningless and the way the response is worded I doubt if the seller actually knows what the spec really is. If he had been asked if they work up to 2.5GHz he would have probably said, “sure my friend”.
I had a good discussion with Rob Watts and with an applications engineer at Fair Rite. Here is the summary for those that are interested.
The issue between Blu2 and Dave is an approximately 2 GHz noise issue on the ground plane of Dave generated by Blu2.
This is best solved by either the Fare Rite material 61 or the Wurth 2.5 GHz Ferittes.
Any general purpose rfi issues ie USB/coax inputs to Blu2 are best solved with lower frequency ferittes like the Topnisus ferrites.
Rob uses mostly the Wurths on the Dave end of his coax and lower frequency ferrites on the Blu2 end of the coax
I have had good luck with the Topnisus ferrites between Blu2 and Dave, I however have ordered some Wurths and some Fair Rite's and will report back which I found optimum (most effective)
I can assure you the Topnisus are not ineffective they work quite well infact.

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #9,453 of 25,909
I have had good luck with the Topnisus ferrites between Blu2 and Dave, I however have ordered some Wurths and some Fair Rite's and will report back which I found optimum (most effective)
I can assure you the Topnisus are not ineffective they work quite well infact.

Your experience with the (presumably lower frequency) Topnisus somewhat contradicts Rob's comment about the importance of 2.5Ghz between Blu2 and DAVE. Which doesn't mean that Rob is wrong, but rather suggests that other things are going on that are impacting the end result. Which reminds me to repeat one of my favourite hifi quips:

"All hifi must conform to the laws of physics... but the most important law in high end audio is the Law of Unintended Consequences".

Based on my own informal subjective observations for DAVE-without-Blu2, my inclination would be to cover all bases - by having say 4 x 2.5Ghz, plus 4 x 1Ghz plus loads of Amazon ones. There will be an overlap of frequency bands, but my understanding is that, on digital cables at least, the impedance at RFI frequencies can never get too high. The only limit that comes in will be when you can no longer hear any further improvement.

As well as the stated max frequency, the better ferrites may have higher impedances over a range of frequencies. For example, the 1Ghz Wurth has typically at least double the impedance at 100Mhz as cheaper ferrites (of the ones I've seen that also publish specs). Does that mean that you'd only need half as many Wurths to achieve the end result? Dunno. I get the feeling that we've only touched the tip of the iceburg on this whole RFI/EMI/ferrite topic.

Dec 6, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #9,454 of 25,909
Your experience with the (presumably lower frequency) Topnisus somewhat contradicts Rob's comment about the importance of 2.5Ghz between Blu2 and DAVE. Which doesn't mean that Rob is wrong, but rather suggests that other things are going on that are impacting the end result. Which reminds me to repeat one of my favourite hifi quips:
This does not contradict Rob at all until I try the hf fair rites and wurths I don’t know how much more improvement I’ll get. I’m willing to spend the money and do the experiment! I’m hoping for improvements. Remember ferries are broadband filters so the lower frequencies ones help with the hf noise and vice versa I’ll let you know the results in January when I return with a bag of known ferries inhand

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #9,455 of 25,909
Hi Guys, I apologise if this has been covered in the thread before or if it seems like a stupid set of questions but I am in need to some real basic advice please. Currently I only use my Dave for listening to headphones which I really enjoy, however I would also like to add some speakers to my set up. Unfortunately I have absolutely no experience with a speaker set up. My Dave is connected via USB to my iMac and nothing else. My questions are;

Do I need anything else in the chain to enable me to play music through the speakers?

What connection would be best to use from the Dave to the speakers?

Does it matter which speakers I buy? I am thinking of buying the Ref LS50's

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #9,456 of 25,909
Hi Guys, I apologise if this has been covered in the thread before or if it seems like a stupid set of questions but I am in need to some real basic advice please. Currently I only use my Dave for listening to headphones which I really enjoy, however I would also like to add some speakers to my set up. Unfortunately I have absolutely no experience with a speaker set up. My Dave is connected via USB to my iMac and nothing else. My questions are;

Do I need anything else in the chain to enable me to play music through the speakers?

What connection would be best to use from the Dave to the speakers?

Does it matter which speakers I buy? I am thinking of buying the Ref LS50's

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies
Is more down to the way you want to listen to speakers, that suits you. As for me I will go as plain as possible, to not have any coloration in the sound.
So : Laptop USB- Dave - RCA cable directly to high efficiency speakers such as Omega that are very good based on the online reviews, but there are other brands if you do a research.
This setup is more then enough, i am talking about volume/sound pressure in near field listening.
Note that the above setup is what I would like, but you are free to experience with active speakers, and such.
Musicday

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #9,457 of 25,909
Is more down to the way you want to listen to speakers, that suits you. As for me I will go as plain as possible, to not have any coloration in the sound.
So : Laptop USB- Dave - RCA cable directly to high efficiency speakers such as Omega that are very good based on the online reviews, but there are other brands if you do a research.
This setup is more then enough, i am talking about volume/sound pressure in near field listening.
Note that the above setup is what I would like, but you are free to experience with active speakers, and such.
Musicday

So RCA cables and I would be in business.

Great thanks

Dec 6, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #9,458 of 25,909
So RCA cables and I would be in business.

Great thanks

If your speakers are active (powered) or are of sufficiently high efficiency, then yes.

Else you will need amplification.

However, if using active spkrs or separate amplification, there is no harm and only upside (extra noise immunity) to using balanced connections -- so why not go balanced...

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #9,460 of 25,909
I'm going to order 20 topnisus ferrites to test on my USB cable for the fun of it. Do you guys know if 3mm or 5mm fit better on the stock USB cable that comes with the Dave?

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #9,461 of 25,909
I'm going to order 20 topnisus ferrites to test on my USB cable for the fun of it. Do you guys know if 3mm or 5mm fit better on the stock USB cable that comes with the Dave?
5mm will be a tight fit. 7mm will be an easy fit. I recommend 7mm.

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #9,462 of 25,909
Quick summary of my question: Can I just plug DAVE into the wall with the stock power cord and be OK?

How do DAVE owners handle power to their DAVE? Do they use power conditioners or high-end power cables?
Does anyone use the stock cable?
Does anyone just plug it right into the wall?
Is it OK to take this minimalist approach (stock cable directly into the wall)?
Does anyone use so-called "audiophile" power strips ? (I have not tried them.)
Thanks.

(Over the years with other digital components and amps, I've had mixed results with various power conditioners/power cables/regenerators, many of them harming the sound, notably making the bass opaque. And with regenerators, I heard sizzling highs. Some silver-based power cables also over-emphasized the highs. I've had some good results with Shunyata cords, but I have no room for these firehose-like power snakes or their Hydra boxes in my desktop setup.)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #9,463 of 25,909
Quick summary of my question: Can I just plug DAVE into the wall with the stock power cord and be OK?

How do DAVE owners handle power to their DAVE? Do they use power conditioners or high-end power cables?
Thanks.
(Over the years with other digital components and amps, I've had mixed results with various power conditioners/power cables/regenerators, many of them harming the sound, notably making the bass opaque. And with regenerators, I heard sizzling highs. Some silver-based power cables also over-emphasized the highs. I've had some good results with Shunyata cords, but I have no room for these firehose-like power snakes or their Hydra boxes in my desktop setup.)

Can I just plug DAVE into the wall with the stock power cord and be OK?
YES!!!!! That is all I use, I would not dream of using anything else.

See above. Also, has anyone ever seen Chord themselves use power conditioners or high- end power cables at a show? If they were needed or were effective then surely Chord would use them to be able to show off the best sound at the show? (Especially at a show in a hotel with likely 'dirty' mains due to lifts etc)

YES, me.

At the risk of repeating myself, yes, plug it right into the wall.

I really am going to repeat myself now. YES, stock cable directly into the wall.

Really, my advice is to think very carefully about how much you are considering spending on power conditioners or high end power cables and evaluate whether the money wouldn't be better set aside to go towards the cost of a Blu2.

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #9,464 of 25,909

Thanks.

I recall reading a comment by Rob to the effect that power is pretty damn good in DAVE and my own listening concurs. As a matter of fact, when I first plugged my DAVE this past Monday, the biggest difference I noticed was background noise reduction during silent passages. Prior to deciding on the DAVE, I had traced much of that to my power source. I noticed this improvement much more than any differences in sound stage, etc.

So I agree with just plugging the stock cable into the wall (or into a plain old surge protector to protect against lightning strikes).... If not 100%, it is 99.99%.

Though I am curious to know if folks had thoughts on good power filtering (not regeneration -- I am just too conscious about wasting energy to go the regen route) for amps as I believe the remaining noise I hear is from my amps (bec I don't hear it with headphones)....

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #9,465 of 25,909

Thanks.

I think you will get a whole range of answers. DAVE isn't 100% immune to bad power. I personally have just terrible power in my home and I use a HFC power cable as well as a PS Audio P5.

In my case, it makes a night and day difference. But YMMV...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back