CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 8, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #9,467 of 25,894
OK, thanks for the honest direct answers and the link.
I'm hesitant about the PS Audio regenerators. Years ago, I tried one in my Stax system (an old P3 and it hyped up the sound and made the amp run hot). I returned the thing.

I did like my old old Shunyata Hydra box + Anaconda cord setup on my EMM player, but this is not a rack system with tons of room, so I can't go that route.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #9,469 of 25,894
Dec 8, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #9,470 of 25,894
I think you will get a whole range of answers. DAVE isn't 100% immune to bad power. I personally have just terrible power in my home and I use a HFC power cable as well as a PS Audio P5.

In my case, it makes a night and day difference. But YMMV...

New happy Dave owner here. :)

I also just bought a used PS Audio P5 for my new Dave. The Dave sounds good when directly plugged to the wall socket, but it definitely sounds even better with the PS Audio P5. I will not buy a power cable for a few thousand Euros, but I will use a better shielded cable than the stock cable.

@bigfatpaulie and other PS Audio Power Plant users: Which cable do you use between P3/5/10 and Dave?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #9,471 of 25,894

I also just bought a used PS Audio P5 for my new Dave. The Dave sounds good when directly plugged to the wall socket, but it definitely sounds even better with the PS Audio P5. I will not buy a power cable for a few thousand Euros, but I will use a better shielded cable than the stock cable.

@bigfatpaulie and other PS Audio Power Plant users: Which cable do you use between P3/5/10 and Dave?
Pangea AC14 se II

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #9,475 of 25,894
Actually sounds and works better than the mega buck cords it’s a sleeper and a bargain

Look guys, for the power consumption of the Dave or indeed Blu2 one could use bell wire or lighting flex to power them from the mains and yet the special cables stress OFC credentials for improved current handling capabilities, gold plated connections etc etc. And I f they have any shielding capabilities then remember that is only the last 3 feet after the electricity leaves the wall. What about the tens of feet of cable in the wall? Don’t forget that noise, if any, can be filtered out of a mains cable by some cheap ferrites if needed (although I think Rob W has always said they are not needed on mains cables so I think that tells us something).

The brain is always going to make the ears believe that the fat brightly coloured cable sounds better no doubt helped by the fat price tag. Sorry but I can’t believe otherwise intelligent people buy these cables.

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #9,476 of 25,894

Some feel cables are a total waste of money - and to each their own. I bought a lower end High Fidelity Cable (CT-1) on @romaz advice. I later upgraded to CT-1 Ultimate because, despite me being sceptical and not wanting to part with the money, it did, to me, make a notable difference.

Dec 8, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #9,477 of 25,894
Years ago I wired 4 dedicated circuits to my breaker box all in metal conduit, metal boxes and hospital grade plugs with ground and shield. It was a subtle but noticeable improvement.
Now PS Audio has regenerators that take the house wiring out of the picture. Using well engineered shielded cords from the regenerator to 10s of thousands of dollars of kit seems logical to me and it seems foolish to me to spend 10s of thousands of dollars on excellent equipment and not feed it the cleanest AC you can?? I think people with high distortion speakers and electronics are not hearing the nuances in these upgrades because the improvements are hidden by the high distortion and high noise floor.
PS you might be blessed with a low rfi environment and clean AC in your wall but I'm not!

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #9,478 of 25,894
I think you will get a whole range of answers. DAVE isn't 100% immune to bad power. I personally have just terrible power in my home and I use a HFC power cable as well as a PS Audio P5.

In my case, it makes a night and day difference. But YMMV...
I have a P5 as well, but still all my cables are stock ones. Do you know if it makes any sense to use a conditioning cable between P5 and the wall socket?

Dec 8, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #9,479 of 25,894
Years ago I wired 4 dedicated circuits to my breaker box all in metal conduit, metal boxes and hospital grade plugs with ground and shield. It was a subtle but noticeable improvement.
Now PS Audio has regenerators that take the house wiring out of the picture. Using well engineered shielded cords from the regenerator to 10s of thousands of dollars of kit seems logical to me and it seems foolish to me to spend 10s of thousands of dollars on excellent equipment and not feed it the cleanest AC you can?? I think people with high distortion speakers and electronics are not hearing the nuances in these upgrades because the improvements are hidden by the high distortion and high noise floor.
PS you might be blessed with a low rfi environment and clean AC in your wall but I'm not!
This discussion reminds me of the Japanese audiophile who paid his local power company to put in his own dedicated power line for music only, of course. How many of us essentially own the wooden pole that stands at the edge of our property? I assume that when he or his heirs eventually sell his home there will be a bidding war amongst audiophiles!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back