CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 21, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #7,636 of 25,926
I would like to see an 'optional' firmware upgrade for Dave users wishing to link with the Blu2 M Scaler. (In order to make the most of any redundant Dave processing power.) I wouldn't criticise Chord for not doing this but I see it as an opportunity to further set the brand apart from their competitors. Fuji have taken such a tac in the Digital photography arena over the last 5-6 years issuing free firmware upgrades to address customer suggestions where they can be accommodated and it has been very well received. It has set them apart from the other majors and reportedly played a strong part in Pro photographers making the jump away from Canon and Nikon formats. Fuji is now known as the photography company that listens to their customers needs. Sometimes doing 'the thing that consumers know you needn't have done' is a very potent marketing strategy. Richard Branson has made a career of it.

As I say there should be no criticism of Chord for doing nothing, as would be the case with the sector as a whole but I think a unique commercial opportunity appears to have come about with the advent of the Blu2 M Scaler. Food for thought perhaps.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #7,637 of 25,926
....I would add that I would be prepared to pay for such a firmware upgrade, should it be possible to do. Of course I may be wrong...?

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #7,638 of 25,926
But who said that the M-Scaler should be transportable, i have not seen anyone say that. What everyone wants is just the M-Scaler in a separate alu box with optical , usb and coax input and for me it can draw continuously 20A if it would :thumbsup:

I think this will happen, but more likely during 2018, so just have a little patience, because we discuss things here that are not even released yet. :sunglasses:

Completely agree with you about "just the M Scaler in a separate alu box ..".  Box doesn't need to be over-engineered either.

But what do you imagine Chord have in mind to connect to the dual inputs of the Hugo2?

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #7,639 of 25,926
  Completely agree with you about "just the M Scaler in a separate blu box ..".  Box doesn't need to be over-engineered either.

But what do you imagine Chord have in mind to connect to the dual inputs of the Hugo2?

Exactly!                  (
confused.gif
)

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #7,642 of 25,926
It is more profitable for Chord to come out with a Dave2 than to "upgrade" the Dave 1 for everybody.

I don't think there's going to be anything like a DAVE2 for quite some time - several years, I'm sure. Rob has even said as much.

I'm pretty sure the reason being is because DAVE is the hub by which everything revolves around. A lot of forethought went into it where it could be used as a standalone DAC, or connected to the M-Scaler, the new Digital amp, Davina or what-have-you. It's the same principle that Chord has been using for years.

On a sort of related note, I found this oldish interview with Rob Watts where he talks about future plans of driving speakers straight from a DAC. I thought that was very interesting in light of what several people are now doing.

Forethought.

http://theproaudiowebblog.com/rob-watts-interview.html

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #7,643 of 25,926
this thread either talks about using Dave directly with single driver speakers ( few watts ) or 1000+ watts mono blocks driving big line speakers and similar. there is no problem in that as it depends on one's choice and cash to spare. but the problem with 1000+ watts mono blocks is that they don't offer higher input sensitivity to fully utilize the dave's high output, means they depend upon large gain . say an 8 ohm speakers will require about 90v output to reach 1000 watts, at 2v input sensitivity ( this is norm even with most expensive amps ) which is huge gain factor around 33db . this much gain ultimately reduces the transparency and amplifies the flaws of associated equipments, RMI and emi interference etc. imho until unless someone requires to fill a huge hall, these big speakers ( and thus 1000+ watt mono blocks amp) are not required. due to their big size they can lack in imaging specially in medium to small rooms. imho better solution is to use a pair of good quality bookshelf having around 40 to 45 Hz lower frequency response and if required a powered sub with variable cross over can be used to fill in for lower frequencies.

So with a 6 v input sensitivity amp it would be theoretically higher transparency because you need less gain vs a 2v amp make sense.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #7,644 of 25,926
I don't think there's going to be anything like a DAVE2 for quite some time - several years, I'm sure. Rob has even said as much.
l

Exactly, just think about how long the Hugo 1 lasted before there was a Hugo 2. The Dave is still quite new and I also expect it to last for quite a while before being replaced. If nothing else, the company needs to recoup its investment in that model before replacing it.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #7,645 of 25,926
But who said that the M-Scaler should be transportable, i have not seen anyone say that. What everyone wants is just the M-Scaler in a separate alu box with optical , usb and coax input and for me it can draw continuously 20A if it would :thumbsup:

I think this will happen, but more likely during 2018, so just have a little patience, because we discuss things here that are not even released yet. :sunglasses:

Completely agree with you about "just the M Scaler in a separate alu box ..".  Box doesn't need to be over-engineered either.

According to Rob the intention is to connect the Blu2 M-Scaler to the Dual Coax input in the first place to get benefit to 1m Taps, if you follow the Hugo2 thread:wink:

Then most probably Chord will pack the M-Scaler in a separate casing, but the Blu2 are not even released yet, so please be patient :wink:

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #7,646 of 25,926
Then most probably Chord will pack the M-Scaler in a separate casing...

Yeah – that of Davina. As far as we know.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #7,647 of 25,926
Exactly, just think about how long the Hugo 1 lasted before there was a Hugo 2. The Dave is still quite new and I also expect it to last for quite a while before being replaced. If nothing else, the company needs to recoup its investment in that model before replacing it.

Right. The QBD76 came out in 2012, didn't it? I think so.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #7,650 of 25,926
  I don't think a portable, battery-driven M-Scaler is an option, not for the near future anyway. Personally I would consider it overkill, also in that it perverts the portability aspect. Most of the time I enjoy the music more just with the burden of a small DAP in my pocket or on my arm despite the sonic compromize. After all (real) mobility represents half of the ingredients of mobile music listening. A triple stack in the kilograms range brings the system closer to a transportable than a portable system.

Hmm, it would be interesting to know how many there are  here  and elsewhere that  are like me much more interested in ultimate SQ than  ultimate portability.
For me lightweight enough to be easily transportable  is far preferable over compromised ergonomy and compromised SQ.
As I have repatedly said, I never listen to music while actually on the go ie  neither on trains, planes nor automobiles.
I take music far more seriously than putting it in second place.
Before Hugo I was travelling two winters in Asia with a Benchmark DAC2 HGC as my transportable travel DAC .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back