CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 19, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #7,607 of 26,005
Wait, isn't Rob saying that there is NOT dual BNC inputs in the Hugo2? That's how I read it.

The dual coaxial is in a 3.5mm coaxial input jack for space considerations.

Feb 19, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #7,608 of 26,005
  Since people are talking about speakers in this thread, has anyone tried to using the Chord Dave + Chord Amps + B&W 802 D3 speakers?

I have been quite impressed by these B&W 802 D3 given their "modest" price in comparison to super expensive speakers. But I have only heard the B&W 802 D3 on ultra high-end setups.

​I run 802D's from Krell 400wpc amplifier and the DAVE feeds directly into the Krell using balanced cables. This clearly provides the best sound from my system to date (better than krell's CAST connection which I used to use through KCT preamp).

Cheers
GG

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #7,609 of 26,005
It'll be interesting to read the first serious review of the Blu 2 M Scaler. I can't help but expect it to be one of those game changer products. More so than Dave was.

My guess is that the first review of the Blu 2 will be one where it's used as a CD transport, i.e., not focused on it's use as an M scalar specifically in conjunction with Dave. That is, unless Chord sends Dave and the Blu 2 as a pair to reviewers(not saying that isn't possible...). As I write this I still wait in Samuel Beckett fashion for Stereophile and The Absolute Sound to print a review of Dave.

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #7,610 of 26,005
Rob Watts
I would welcome an answer to this from you or anyone else as there is no description in the Chord Dave manual. Apologies if this is already documented elsewhere and I would appreciate the link.

On the DX output of Dave..

What is the format of this? Is it based on any industry standard I can reference or is this Chord proprietary?

1) I know that is reserved for the Chord amplifiers but I am wondering if it will work with other digital active speakers whick can take 768k input.

2) Is the Chord volume control effecting this?

3) I am assuming with 4 outputs, thus is for left/right channel but is there a way to reconfigure this from the menu.

Thanks!

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #7,612 of 26,005
@Rob Watts
I would welcome an answer to this from you or anyone else as there is no description in the Chord Dave manual. Apologies if this is already documented elsewhere and I would appreciate the link.

On the DX output of Dave..

What is the format of this? Is it based on any industry standard I can reference or is this Chord proprietary?

1) I know that is reserved for the Chord amplifiers but I am wondering if it will work with other digital active speakers whick can take 768k input.

2) Is the Chord volume control effecting this?

3) I am assuming with 4 outputs, thus is for left/right channel but is there a way to reconfigure this from the menu.

Thanks!

DX is a regular SPDIF in AES dual data format - but with a special user data that has the required volume control data. So the data sent is not attenuated, I just send the required volume control data.

Its two parallel data, left and right with no configuration settings.  

Wait, isn't Rob saying that there is NOT dual BNC inputs in the Hugo2? That's how I read it.

I'm a bit confused. Even Mojo can accept 768 KHZ signal through its coax input?

Mojo is 768 via USB only. Coax is 384 kHz max.

Hugo 2 is dual data on its two coaxial inputs - its a feature I have just added to the Hugo 2 production code.

Rob

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #7,613 of 26,005
  Since people are talking about speakers in this thread, has anyone tried to using the Chord Dave + Chord Amps + B&W 802 D3 speakers?

I have been quite impressed by these B&W 802 D3 given their "modest" price in comparison to super expensive speakers. But I have only heard the B&W 802 D3 on ultra high-end setups.

I think the best sound I have ever heard away from my living room was precisely this set-up. It was at the Tokyo audio fair last year, and half a dozen Dave owners - who were Japanese reviewers - were doing presentations using this system and using their music. It sounded glorious, and was goose-bump emotionally involving music all the time.

Sometimes it can be frustrating attending shows with a distributor set-up - poor acoustics, or a not too good set-up, can leave one feeling disappointed. But this system was in the zone; and I thought I do not care what anybody else in the room thought as for me this was making music - this is what audio is all about.

Rob  

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #7,618 of 26,005
It's very much possible that a Hugo² with M-Scaler sounds better than a DAVE alone (that also depends on the headphone output for those with this priority). The price would be similar, but you also gain portablity. On the other hand you lose some desktop ergonomy.

Somehow the combo Hugo² + M-Scaler seems a bit odd in terms of price discrepancy. So why not phantasize about a matching, affordable stand-alone M-Scaler, despite Chord's denial?!

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #7,619 of 26,005
It's very much possible that a Hugo² with M-Scaler sounds better than a DAVE alone (that also depends on the headphone output for those with this priority). The price would be similar, but you also gain portablity. On the other hand you lose some desktop ergonomy.

Somehow the combo Hugo² + M-Scaler seems a bit odd in terms of price discrepancy. So why not phantasize about a matching, affordable stand-alone M-Scaler, despite Chord's denial?!

Taps 2Go :grin:

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #7,620 of 26,005
  I think the best sound I have ever heard away from my living room was precisely this set-up. It was at the Tokyo audio fair last year, and half a dozen Dave owners - who were Japanese reviewers - were doing presentations using this system and using their music. It sounded glorious, and was goose-bump emotionally involving music all the time.

Sometimes it can be frustrating attending shows with a distributor set-up - poor acoustics, or a not too good set-up, can leave one feeling disappointed. But this system was in the zone; and I thought I do not care what anybody else in the room thought as for me this was making music - this is what audio is all about.

Rob  

As a B&W 802d3 owner, that is (literally) music to my ears Rob!  I have not spent any time researching the Chord amp line.  Do you recall which amps were paired with the DAVE and 802d3's?  I've found the speakers to be generally forgiving, but they really get that something special when paired with the right amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back