CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 18, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #5,221 of 25,909
  I have my personal opinions as to why many people fail to hear the superiority of Chord Mojo/DAVE over other DACs. I agree with Romaz that the equipments downstream that color the sound and reduce transparency is part of the problem. But I think despite what I also think is a huge difference between the sound quality of Chord Mojo/DAVE compared to other DACs, I think most people listen to recorded music differently and put priorities on other aspects than what I consider the more important ones.

(snip)

I can hear the timing inaccuracy of non-Chord DACs vs Chord Mojo vs Chord DAVE vs live sound. It was something I never listened for and never noticed before.

Good timing on this topic and the above post in particular.  A friend plans to put his Playback Designs MPD-3 up for sale.  I asked for a chance to audition it before he does that, so later this month I will get the chance to put the MPD-3 up against my Chord Mojo.  At 10x the price, one would think that the MPD-3 would be the easy winner, though it sounds like many here will disagree.  We shall see.  I will listen closely in the areas ecwl mentions.  I'm particularly sensitive when it comes to timing so that should be one of the more easily discernible things for me.

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #5,222 of 25,909
Paulkwan, Crgreen,

My remote works fine, I think it's actually a re-branded Arcam remote...

Anyway, make sure that the 'hifi' button is pressed first. I can then access the set-up options via the menu button and cycle/change settings using the volume and line buttons. Can't change the PCM/DSD setting though despite it being highlighted on the DAC. Muting and putting Dave into standby also works as well as waking it up again. I can only confirm this without headphones although I assume there to be no difference with headphones plugged in.

As far as screen blanking goes, it's always a number of seconds after a change of state with the DAC, volume or input etc, as it then writes current settings to memory.

H.

I observed that my DAVE screen usually blank once within the first 30 sec of a music track playing, then the 2nd blank will probably happens at between 2-3 min of the same track. And virtually repeat the same for every track of music as the playlist goes on.

Sound wise the blanking does not affect the playback, just worry if this is normal or something wrong with my unit.

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #5,223 of 25,909
The screen blank is perfectly normal...I think it has been discussed with much details several pages back

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #5,224 of 25,909

Until then you should try the Benchmark AHB2 amplifier; it is the cleanest 100W amplifier right now, with extremely low distortion and noise; I think it should complement the DAVE very well.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier

It sure looks interesting and  I was tempted too when they released it.They are Pro people and some classical labels, for example RCO, Concertgebouw LIVE use their ADCs at live recordings often with very good results. But I would have needed at least two of the AHB2. Which on the other hand would still have been a lot  less than the weight and space of  of my current amp combo which weighs in at a 51+56 lbs. A real backbreaker of a beast. The Benchmark is small and really lightweight in comparison. But even with two of them I am not sure they would deliver all the juice I need.Therefore I mainly use their DAC 2 HGC in my speaker system connected directly to my  900 watts power-amp and in some respects it gives my HUGO a run for its money and even beats it in some ways.
In my system the Benchmark DAC 2 is a bit fuller  and warmer and  better at rendering realistic instrumental timbre than HUGO which can sound a bit thin and lacking in body and true  tone color in comparison. And not quite separating the different timbres in the wood winds  section as well as the DAC 2, for example.
A  telling example of that is Reference Recordings recent original DXD /DSD256  Merging Horus, Tchaikovsky 6th symphony,which is full of dark moody woodwind colors.
A warning to those who listen via headphones or  speaker based desktop systems, this is a realistic dynamic range recording that will test any system´s capabilities.
And to do it full justice it needs to be heard via a full range speaker system at realistic levels, to really shine.
It also happens to be one of the best performances of that masterpiece in recent yers imho.
Available for download from Native DSD.com in DXD  and DSD and from HRA Germany as 24/192 PCM.

That will be the first recording I hope to listen to via DAVE  in Singapore or KL  again in a couple of weeks.
Winter is approaching and it is time to follow the migratory birds South over Winter as usual.
I won´t leave without my HUGO, nor my HD 800 headphones, of course.
But I am tempted to audition the new  Focal Utopia.
Speaking  about DAVE, has it been tested by any of the American HIFI mags yet?
I just checked Stereophile´s latest recommended products  2016 and found the Benchmark DAC 2 still in their top tier  A+ category, but HUGO TT only in their A category one step down.
But not a word about DAVE yet.
I have heard it was rated very well at RMAF though.

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #5,225 of 25,909
While headphones can be better with regards to resolving detail, they can never fully compete with speakers with regards to resolving time.  Not just depth from the standpoint of knowing that the brass section is seated 5 meters behind the woodwinds but even the reverberant sound field of the strumming of a guitar is better appreciated with speakers.  With headphones, there's just too short of a space for certain sounds to fully unfold.

I'm quite confident you will ditch this point of view when you hear headphones playing back a recording transformed with your personal HRTF. Done properly, it's a wholly new kind of transparency.

Playing ordinary stereo into headphones is akin to playing mono into a stereo set of speakers.

[...] I see DAVINA as the bigger potential game changer as it is supposed to have the full performance characteristics of the DAVE with regards to noise floor, lack of noise floor modulation, DR, etc.  If the promise of DAVINA proves to be real and in theory, it should easily improve upon what MQA provides, while all will benefit, those with a DAVE should benefit the most.

Davina isn't going to get used for many commercially released recordings any time soon, if ever. On the other hand, it seems likely to help Rob understand how to implement DAVE's successor. Some time after the power amps have been done...

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #5,226 of 25,909

​
[size=small]With the incredible enthusiasm, awards coming in fast, and continued support on Head-Fi over the past few years, we wanted to give something back to the forum members - to explain Rob Watts DAC technology and how unique it is, a little easier with a slick new video:[/size]​
 ​

​
Enjoy!

Oct 18, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #5,227 of 25,909
  I wish that the DAVE where miles better than dcs vivaldi , MSB Select II , PS Audio , Nagra

I agree with you but I think "miles better" is unrealistic for any device.  On it's best day, the DAVE won't be miles better than a Mojo or even a $100 AudioQuest DragonFly (although this depends on how you define "miles") and this occurs for a variety of reasons including the quality of the actual performance, how well it was recorded, mixed and mastered, how good the transfer was and how good your ancillary equipment is.  Just too many potential shackles.  Of course, we never just hear the DAC or the amplifier or the speaker, it's always an interplay of all the components in the chain and so it's important to find the weak links in the chain.  In the same way that your Prion4 headphone cables helped better reveal your Abyss's capabilities, I believe you will find DAVINA and Chord's amps will do the same for the DAVE.

There is also the matter of what I call listener accommodation.  While most of us would probably prefer to sleep in a big luxurious bed, if all that was available was a small simple bed, I believe we all learn to adjust to this small bed and still get a good night's sleep.  I find listening to music to be the same way because what is ultimately most important is the music itself, more so than the quality of the delivery.  For example, let's say I was a fan of the Rolling Stones (which I am) and one of their songs was playing on a low quality AM radio.  I certainly wouldn't turn off the radio since this would be better than no music at all and I would probably find a good level of toe tapping engagement with it and perhaps even sing along.  Would this presentation be much more enjoyable on my better system?  No doubt, but the point is that it is possible to have an engaging and even highly emotional listening experience with low quality gear.  For a true audiophile, it is still more about the music and so just because I own a DAVE doesn't mean that my listening sessions are "miles better" compared to another person who listens to their music off an iPhone. 

Regarding my comparison of the DAVE against the dCS Vivaldi and the Nagra, bear in mind that I believed the DAVE convincingly won the contest as far as resolution, transparency and fidelity, the qualities that I find are most important in a DAC even though this expensive system, I believe, could have been set up much more transparently.  While it's easy to say I wish the DAVE could have been miles better, what does it say about the Nagra, which is 2x more expensive than the DAVE and the dCS, which is nearly 6x more expensive?  Is there any reason to believe the Select II will fare any better?  Even if you felt you preferred the Select II's presentation more for whatever reason, the divide will likely not be great, certainly not worth spending more than 10x the price of the DAVE for a fully loaded Select II.  In my view, for the rational minded person, the DAVE basically makes all the more expensive DACs irrelevant once you factor value into the equation.  Of course, you could make the same argument for the Mojo but once again, high-end audio is not a rational hobby.

As to the individual that might prefer the harmonic nature of the Nagra or the commanding imaging of the Vivaldi to the DAVE, my answer to this is instead of paying more money for these DACs, consider getting a more harmonic amplifier or an amplifier or speakers that image better but don't give up resolution to acheive it.  What @JaZZ has recently opened my eyes to is the world of digital equalization, especially DSP.  I have been playing around with a software product called Acourate, an extremely powerful piece of DSP software created by Dr. Ulrich Brueggemann of Germany.  This software is used by professional sound mixers like Bob Katz and is quite capable of tailoring the sound coming from your headphones or speakers without the degradation that occurs with analog devices like equalizers or preamps.  You can correct for the frequency irregularities of your transducers (for example, you can conform your headphones to the Harman Response Curve).  You can also correct for your room and compensate for unwanted room nodes and with the help of Dr. Brueggemann (or Uli, as he likes to be called), you can make adjustments that suit you.  What I have found is that I can improve my imaging to the extent that it is "pinpoint" just as I heard with the Vivaldi but it defintely comes at the expense of depth, just like I heard with the Vivaldi.  What this offers me are options to tailor my sound back and forth but unlike the Nagra HD or the dCS Vivaldi, you can't create DSP filters that retrieve resolution.  If the DAC couldn't resolve it to begin with, then it's lost forever.  You could create DSP filters that add reverb and therefore, artificial depth but then everything sounds deep which isn't natural.  Even better, Acourate isn't very expensive and included in the price, Uli will help you create your first set of filters.  Highly highly recommended.

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #5,228 of 25,909

Until then you should try the Benchmark AHB2 amplifier; it is the cleanest 100W amplifier right now, with extremely low distortion and noise; I think it should complement the DAVE very well.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier

Looks great!  Here's another clean sounding 120 watt amp and it is completely powered by super caps, just like the TT:

http://www.vinnierossi.com/vr120-power-amplifier/

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #5,229 of 25,909

​
STOP THE PRESS - What Hi-Fi? Awards 2016 - DAVE Wins Best Temptation Award!!!
 ​
Last night, at the What Hi-Fi? Awards 2016, not only did Mojo, 2Qute, and Hugo win awards, but DAVE picked up an accolade for the Best Temptation, with the team saying:​
 ​
"Forget the price, the @ChordAudio DAVE is the best DAC you can buy and our Temptation of the Year."
 ​
As a passionate small team we're so thrilled with the result and incredibly proud that all of you on Head-Fi have been part of our journey.
 ​
 ​

​

I recognize Edd (everyone knows Edd) and Tom.  Who are the other gentlemen?

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #5,230 of 25,909

Oh that's Dave and Mojo
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #5,232 of 25,909

Edd answering here - From left to right: Myself - Edd Harris (Marketing/Media Manager), Maurice Tryner (UK Sales Manager), Matt Bartlett (Production Director), Colin Pratt (International Sales Manager), Tom Vaughn (Amplification Engineer and Show Veteran). Dan George (PR Manager) is the chap taking the picture on this occasion.

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #5,233 of 25,909
I'm quite confident you will ditch this point of view when you hear headphones playing back a recording transformed with your personal HRTF. Done properly, it's a wholly new kind of transparency.

Yes, I would like to hear this.

Davina isn't going to get used for many commercially released recordings any time soon, if ever. On the other hand, it seems likely to help Rob understand how to implement DAVE's successor. Some time after the power amps have been done...

I'm not so sure.  I guess it depends on just how good it is but I'm willing to bet there are plenty of independent labels, musicians, churches, etc that would be willing to invest in it if it is that good.  Personally, I am planning on getting a DAVINA for my own recordings.  As for those unwilling to part with their turntables, I imagine DAVINA partnered with DAVE could turn out to be a wonderful phono preamp.

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #5,234 of 25,909
  Edd answering here - From left to right: Myself - Edd Harris (Marketing/Media Manager), Maurice Tryner (UK Sales Manager), Matt Bartlett (Production Director), Colin Pratt (International Sales Manager), Tom Vaughn (Amplification Engineer and Show Veteran). Dan George (PR Manager) is the chap taking the picture on this occasion.

Well done, you guys!  Do all English own tuxedos?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back