CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 2, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #4,486 of 25,857
  If you allow me, I have another dumb practical question related to this single headphone output.

My situation (I assume it is not unusual among audiophiles) is that I have a number of headphones hanging around my desk,
and while I am behind my computer trying out different kinds of music,
I like to quickly switch headphones accordingly (e.g. bright vs dark, or better for vocals vs better for punch, etc.),
and I don't like to unplug them each time.
So I usually have the lowest impedance headphones connected to various ouputs (XLR-4, 2xXLR-3, jack) of my headphone DAC-amp
and other headphones to the outputs of headphone amp.
To switch headphones, I just hang back the one I had, turn the output selector knob for the headphone I want, grab it, and voilà...
(besides this simply prevents the jacks and the plugs from being exposed to dust), 

How do you do then with the single output of the Dave?
Still adding an amp with many outputs or bothering with plugging out and in 
(and possibly trading an XLR-to-jack adaptor between the headphones) ?

You can use a headphone switcher like the following:

https://www.amazon.com/LINE5-Multi-channel-Headphone-Switcher-Amplifier/dp/B00HA11KFQ

The above is for 3.5mm headphone plugs but I wouldn't buy something like this anyway -- quality is probably poor.  For the best quality, I would suggest you build one yourself (or have one built) using better parts.  Not hard to do.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #4,487 of 25,857
Point well made. However I would like to add that the number of active working transistors within Dave is quite possibly several billion more than in some typically flamboyantly componented but possibly rather dated alternative designs.

Can you post some pics that shows those several billion transistors please? And more important what’s the benefit of using several billion active working transistors anyway?

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #4,488 of 25,857
He probably meant the FPGA with its billions of transistors.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #4,489 of 25,857
I still don't get all the negative comments here.... 

I mean this is the same company that gave you us Mojo, and musically it is one amazing device, 

I think we need to remember it is all about the music, the Mojo allows one to enjoy the music.

Hugo is better, Hugo TT is even more so, and Dave much more so.

But if you read the review of the first DAC, the Chord DAC 64, which is on the chord website, (just google Chord DAC 64 review), and you will understand that from the first DAC 64, these have been musical devices, which allow one to enjoy digital music. 

That is the bottom line, really, I think.

Why all the tough love? 
gs1000.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #4,494 of 25,857
  I'm trusting you, @romaz  :)

This just arrived.  I'll spend some time this weekend listening to it VS the PS Audio stuff.

I'm eager to know how it works out for your DAVE.  You'll need to give it at least 1-2 weeks as it takes time to magnetize your system but its impact should be quite evident.  I have not looked back and I now have it at every position (both power and signal) in my chain.  

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #4,495 of 25,857
  I'm eager to know how it works out for your DAVE.  You'll need to give it at least 1-2 weeks as it takes time to magnetize your system but its impact should be quite evident.  I have not looked back and I now have it at every position (both power and signal) in my chain.  

Me too!!  Particularly given my power situation (as you know).

I do have my finger on a P10 but I am still flip-flopping between this and a P10 or, if the results are there (and you thoughts), getting a CT1 Ultimate (and an MC6 Hemisphere??!).

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #4,496 of 25,857
I'm fully magnetised already and I'm only looking at the image on the screen.

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #4,497 of 25,857
Sep 3, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #4,499 of 25,857
I'm fully magnetised already and I'm only looking at the image on the screen.

And I am currently  both  magnetized and hypnothized and in awe over how well my humble Hugo reproduces my  so far largest,Mega-download : Wagner´s  Der Ring des Nibelungen played by the Berlin Philharmonic and conducted by Herbert von Karajan, newly remastered 24/96 from the analogue master tapes  ranging between 1966 and 1970. All in all just under 15 hours and 29 gigabyte  of sublime music that  once again make me wonder what real significant advances in the art of recording have really happened in all these years?
Only occasionally do these half a century old recordings show their age.
And once again and in spite of some recent moaning from me, Hugo has shown what an amazingly good little DAC it is even in my HIFI system provided I run  both it and my macbook  pro from battery, the SQ is like listening to  analogue mastertape playback in all its glory.
There is a lot of emphasis on  equipment, cabling and and other add ons, here, but very little on the type of music where Dacs like Mojo, Hugo and Dave, really shine,
acoustic music with dynamic range ranging from a mere whisper of a ppp to a full fff orchestral climax.
Not even the famous Decca Solti Wagner Ring sounds as spacious and natural  acoustically as this one.
The depth and width and fullness and realistic timbre of  all that Wagner-brass especially is awesome.
And although Solti has got Birgit Nilson and the VPO, Karajan´s masterly conducting  rules IMO.
With Solti I listen for an hour or so  and them lose interest. With Karajan I am magnetized to my recliner listening chair and can sit through four and a half hours of glorious Opera-music  with only an occasional toilet visit or meal in between !
For those few who both own a Chord DAC and care about music that stretches longer than the  4-5 minute pop track length, I can  not strongly enough,recommend this new  important re- release either as 4 separate albums from HRA or  as one cheaper 28.99 gigabyte mega-download from Qobuz.
I have over 4 Terabyte of hi res music  and this one now stands as the most important and most intoxicating and eargasmic of them all. If I could only bring one work with me to a "Desert Island" it would be this version of Wagner´s timeless masterpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back