CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 24, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #3,421 of 25,821
I was talking to my local dealer. He guessed it almost depends on how much stock the distributor already paid for. It would be unlikely that the distributor would discount the existing stock until they're all sold to the dealer. After that, I guess the distributor could lower the MSRP for Canada and US. Of course, that doesn't stop the dealers from discounting but they would be the ones lowering their profit margins, not the distributor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironically, I think I recall US dealers apparently spitting their pacifiers out, when Hugo was first released, and the exchange rate made Hugo slightly cheaper in the UK - but rather than allow that situation to continue, UK buyers were penalised with a price-hike, to placate any such tantrums in the US.

It will be interesting, therefore, to see if it cuts both ways, or if US dealers decide they can have their cake and eat it, with £-sterling falling against the dollar.
popcorn.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #3,422 of 25,821
Hmmm... I think your scenario is much more likely. After all, the raw materials to make the DAC would become more expensive with the falling pound. So if the manufacturing cost of the Chord DAVE is going to increase in pound-sterling, it would make more sense for Chord DAVE to go up in price in the UK anyway but the resultant US prices would stay the same. Thanks for the insight about Chord Hugo. I wasn't aware of that.

Jun 24, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #3,425 of 25,821

The Brits voted and the #Brexit folks won, to leave the EU.

Overnight, the Pound fell to as low as 1.32 to the US Dollar.  That means for you guys waiting to get a DAVE, it's 12% cheaper than a day ago.  Some view the Pound will continue to fall from here.

For those in Japan waiting to get a DAVE, even better news for you.  The YEN vs Pound is even stronger.

Paul

I bought Dave a month ago and paid the bill by YEN already but still waiting for it to come...

Seems like I'm the most unfortunate Dave owner here!! Hahaha

Jun 24, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #3,426 of 25,821

The Brits voted and the #Brexit folks won, to leave the EU.

Overnight, the Pound fell to as low as 1.32 to the US Dollar.  That means for you guys waiting to get a DAVE, it's 12% cheaper than a day ago.  Some view the Pound will continue to fall from here.

For those in Japan waiting to get a DAVE, even better news for you.  The YEN vs Pound is even stronger.

Paul

I bought Dave a month ago and paid the bill by YEN already but still waiting for it to come...

Seems like I'm the most unfortunate Dave owner here!! Hahaha

No DAVE-owner is unfortunate - you don't realise how lucky you are!

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #3,428 of 25,821
OT: mmm......wow, couldn't believe Brexit won. Over usd 2 trillion wiped off global equities overnight. The markets will punish the British economy. Pound will fall into a deep hole. With this, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland are next? Good for British exports, tourism......hopefully, the Chord Dave's price will remain in the foreseeable future.. My dealer has been egging me to upgrade from the Chord TT to the Dave. I might just do it if the price goes down. The Philippine peso just gained 7.2% relative to the British Pound.

Jun 26, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #3,430 of 25,821
first week with microRendu, it is what @romaz and others have discussed.  A well natural sound, a live experience not common with even the best home installations.  It makes you wonder if this is a sound with the artist playing just for you in your own personal space.
With the MR, the DAVE has that buttery analog sound of my Western Electric 300B tubes.  Very much like the sound from a Nagra HD DAC (not using MR), but with greater overall dynamics.
There is still the occasional network drop.  I am investigating this with Andrew Gillis.

Using Curious links between MR and DAVE.
DAVE hottest temp is near the headphone port - 101F
MR runs around 104-107F

paul

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #3,431 of 25,821
As a Brit,I think most of my fellow countrymen/women DID see the big picture.I wish all of you good luck in getting a cheaper Dave,but be quick,because it won't be long before the pound back up.
There will be one other issue at play in the longer term also. The issue of course is that virtually all of materials that Dave and indeed all of of our units are made from come from overseas. From the aluminium of our chassis to the Xilinx FPGAs all are imported so unless there is a rebound in the pounds value in a reasonable time. We may have to make some adjustments to our prices to compensate for any Materials excess costs. We will endeavour to hold our prices stable for as long as we can though. So your right now is a good time to buy.

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #3,432 of 25,821
I had a brief, cordial exchange with Barrows Worm at the Computer Audiophile forum. Barrows is the co-designer(along with Adrian Lebena) of the Sonore Signature Power Supply. Barrows informs me that the Sonore PS has better regulators than the JS-2 and also that the Sonore PS is designed specifically with only the microRendu in mind. The JS-2, on the other hand, is designed as a multipurpose high end power supply. In short, the JS-2 is great but the Sonore is the gold standard. If you have the funds and you are only looking to power the microRendu then the Sonore is the way to go. The JS-2 sells for 999 USD and the Sonore sells for 1399 USD(1589 with Synergistic Research fuses). HTH.

Just ordered 1
L3000.gif

Jun 26, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #3,433 of 25,821
  first week with microRendu, it is what @romaz and others have discussed.  A well natural sound, a live experience not common with even the best home installations.  It makes you wonder if this is a sound with the artist playing just for you in your own personal space.
With the MR, the DAVE has that buttery analog sound of my Western Electric 300B tubes.  Very much like the sound from a Nagra HD DAC (not using MR), but with greater overall dynamics.
There is still the occasional network drop.  I am investigating this with Andrew Gillis.

Using Curious links between MR and DAVE.
DAVE hottest temp is near the headphone port - 101F
MR runs around 104-107F

paul

What source were you using before the microRendu?

Rob

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #3,435 of 25,821
  What source were you using before the microRendu?

Rob

Before the MR, mainly with MACs and PCs.
Macbook Pro with SSD internal.  iMac with SSD , Dell XPS 15 with SSD.  
All using USBs.

Did listened to an Aurender N10 with DAVE, again USB.

The microRendu using any USB cable sounded better than all of the above.

paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back