CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 9, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #182 of 25,883
I think it loks like a breitling watch with the chromed HDSD ring. Feels realy expensiv.

I have alredy placed my order on the DAVE.

You seem to be one courageous person.
wink.gif
I think I'm gonna wait for the first reviews, since auditioning it (in Geneva) would mean some hassle for me. And I'm still not sure if I really need it for my peace of mind.

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #183 of 25,883
  I have seen that the announced price for the DAVE is £7995, can anyone confirm what the US pricing will be? TIA

quick off the head conversion of the figure you've stated is $12,500 approx.... best to get in touch with Jay at Bluebird Music, he'll happily advise you.

Link: http://www.bluebirdmusic.com/sections/chord-electronics.html

And I'm still not sure if I really need it for my peace of mind.

ever thought that you won't have 'peace of mind' if don't you give in to your desires?... conundrums huh.

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #184 of 25,883
  ever thought that you won't have 'peace of mind' if don't you give in to your desires?... conundrums huh.

That's an old trick of the unsatisfied mind to justify everything except for being satisfied with iself.

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #185 of 25,883

That's an old trick of the unsatisfied mind to justify everything except for being satisfied with iself.

The mind is a wonderful thing, its the ears that are the issue :yum:. If i never upgrade from my present rigs id still be very content. But that wont stop me from reading audio conversations at head fi, once one tastes the apple, paradise may not be lost, just one left click away.:notes: Im very interested in dave:eyes:

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #186 of 25,883
The mind is a wonderful thing, its the ears that are the issue :yum:. If i never upgrade from my present rigs id still be very content. But that wont stop me from reading audio conversations at head fi, once one tastes the apple, paradise may not be lost, just one left click away.:notes: Im very interested in dave:eyes:

Yes, it would certainly be a wonderful thing to allow my ears the delight of 164,000 taps – maybe I would benefit from it as well.
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #192 of 25,883
  Rob you should give a definitive 'why SE is better' explanation. Get it over with, because many (most) audiophiles have been biased towards balanced and are not going to understand where you are coming from.

One good argument I heard from the Densen founder (Thomas Sillesen) is that each half of the signwave runs through a series of components that will always have tolerances different from each other, so when combining the signal they will not ever match, causing an increase in distortion (of some kind I cannot remember).

Charles Hanson, of Ayre, who is a proponent of fully balanced equipment, has even stated that for pure sound quality SE will always sound better, but this is on the bench, where the power supply and analog signal stages can be kept physically apart. When putting them in a box he prefers balanced.

Well this is a complex subject, and sometimes a balanced connection does sound better than single ended (SE) - in a pre-power context - but it depends upon the environment, and the pre and power and the interconnect. But the downside of balanced is that you are doubling the number of analogue components in the direct signal path, and this degrades transparency. In my experience every passive component is audible, every metal to metal interface (including solder joints - I once had a lot of fun listening to solder) has an impact - in case of metal/metal interfaces it degrades detail resolution and the perception of depth. So going balanced will have a cost in transparency.

In DAC design, going balanced is essential with silicon design; there is simply too much substrate noise and other effects not too. But with discrete DAC's you do not need to worry about this, so going SE on a discrete DAC is possible, and is how all my DAC's are done. But differential operation hides certain problems (notably reference circuit) that has serious SQ effects; so going SE means those problems are exposed, which forces one to solve the issue fundamentally. In short, to make SE work you have to solve many more problems, but the result of solving those problems solves SQ issues than differential operation hides when you do measurements.

In the case of Dave, I have gotten state of the art measured performance - distortion harmonics below -150 dB, zero measurable noise floor modulation - and there is no way you could do this with a differential architecture. So it is possible to have better measured performance with SE than differential, but it is a lot harder to do it - indeed, the only way of getting virtually zero distortion and noise floor modulation is SE.  

Rob 

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #193 of 25,883
 In the case of Dave, I have gotten state of the art measured performance - distortion harmonics below -150 dB, zero measurable noise floor modulation - and there is no way you could do this with a differential architecture

if the 2x total Vswing is standard for balanced/differential output vs single ended then I should end up in the exact same place with 2 Daves fed antiphase - actually integrating them should save some circuit duplication -  the point doesn't stand

Jul 16, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #194 of 25,883
  if the 2x total Vswing is standard for balanced/differential output vs single ended then I should end up in the exact same place with 2 Daves fed antiphase - actually integrating them should save some circuit duplication -  the point doesn't stand

Interesting argument...

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #195 of 25,883

So 2x DAVE fed antiphase will leave you in the exact same position. Of course there will not be an exact doubling of component count, due to removal of some duplication, but the fact remains component count will still be higher than SE. Or am I missing your point, and it would actually be lower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back