CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 1, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #151 of 25,821
Rob you should give a definitive 'why SE is better' explanation. Get it over with, because many (most) audiophiles have been biased towards balanced and are not going to understand where you are coming from.

One good argument I heard from the Densen founder (Thomas Sillesen) is that each half of the signwave runs through a series of components that will always have tolerances different from each other, so when combining the signal they will not ever match, causing an increase in distortion (of some kind I cannot remember).

Charles Hanson, of Ayre, who is a proponent of fully balanced equipment, has even stated that for pure sound quality SE will always sound better, but this is on the bench, where the power supply and analog signal stages can be kept physically apart. When putting them in a box he prefers balanced.

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #152 of 25,821

John Franks & Rob Watts will be in attendance at the 'Kuala Lumpur International AV Show' from 3rd - 5th July (details below)... pop along and say Hello if you're in the area...
tongue_smile.gif

Show Information:-

KL International AV Show 2015
Venue: JW Marriott Hotel - Kuala Lumpur
Dates: 3 to 5 July 2015
Times: Friday, Saturday & Sunday : 10.00am to 7.30pm

Jul 5, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #153 of 25,821
I want to upgrade from my HUGO. I will wait CanJam London to try DAVE with LCD-X & HE1000 before I buy a TotalDAC.

HAs someone already been able to hear DAVE ??

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #155 of 25,821
I want to upgrade from my HUGO. I will wait CanJam London to try DAVE with LCD-X & HE1000 before I buy a TotalDAC.

HAs someone already been able to hear DAVE ??

waiting for you impressions ^^

sadly we both didn't go to the TT because of many obvious reasons (coming from Hugo)

but i am sure DAVE will be a blast :D

can't wait for your mini review or even notes, then i will let the saving start :p

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #156 of 25,821
In London, I will also try to force CHORD to tell me secrets
evil_smiley.gif

Indeed, DAVE's press release also points out that the specifications include two ultra-high-speed digital coaxial outputs, for "future, unannounced Chord Electronics products". I really wonder what those could be?   Digital OUTPUT !! what for ???

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #157 of 25,821
  In London, I will also try to force CHORD to tell me secrets
evil_smiley.gif

Indeed, DAVE's press release also points out that the specifications include two ultra-high-speed digital coaxial outputs, for "future, unannounced Chord Electronics products". I really wonder what those could be?   Digital OUTPUT !! what for ???

Class D power amp?

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #159 of 25,821
I hope that DAVE will be ready for listening at CanJam London End of August.

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #162 of 25,821
Rob Watts talked about some new revolutionary poweramps, so mybe the DAVE kan control the CLASS D amp in total digital domain and convert to analog in the final output circuit.

My idea is that there's no D/A conversion until the power amp's/amps' speaker terminals. (Maybe we mean the same.)

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #164 of 25,821
Yea, we meant the same if your read my post
wink.gif
wink.gif

Very interesting future for CHORD Electronics

As I understand it, the digital-to-analogue converters in class D (PWM) amp output stages consist just of inductors, providing the necessary low-pass filtering.

The class D amp speculation is just speculation, though.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back