CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 21, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #15,993 of 25,909
What does you chain look like?
I don't have a DAVE, but I do use various systems according to my mood/need.

1. old PC > optical out > Mojo or hugo 2
  2. Mojopoly
  3. I am intending to resurrect the Shanling M1 > USB > Mojo, for use in the office
I had planned to get a 2Go, during covid working from home, but know that when working on my computer, I am not really consciously listening to the music, so 2Go money would not be justified.
A much cheaper SBC based system would be much easier to justify, especially using optical cable to reduce the RFI impact

Oct 21, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #15,994 of 25,909
I had planned to get a 2Go,
From what i've heard the software and connectivity has issues, but i've heard that about mojopoly 2.

old PC > optical out > Mojo
this sounds amazing.Had it for almost 4 years now. I much preferred it to the Sony TA-ZH1ES and with the risk of upsetting everyone again:
I think Mojo is the best thing Chord makes except Dave. I didn't like the Hugo 2, it sounded too bright to me , even with the mojo filter and i didn't even find the TT2 a big enough leap from Mojo, it was just more of the same, better but not radically different with my easy to drive headphones, and also too bright.
If Dave wasn't around, i would've stuck with Mojo.

Oct 21, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #15,995 of 25,909
A much cheaper SBC based system would be much easier to justify, especially using optical cable to reduce the RFI impact
I agree, but now that i've heard this cable, i can't unhear it. And i'm kinda calling bs on Dave's jitter immunity. Bent or not, the old one never made DAVE sound like this.
So i'm more curious what effect would reducing jitter further would have, and i think the best way to do that is starting at the source. And it does resonate with what others have been saying about usb reclocking and etc.
I'm still skeptical but i have to hear it for myself.

Oct 21, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #15,996 of 25,909
Yeah i was considering getting the Naim nd5 xs2 (bnc and torroidal psu), Lumin u1 mini (everything and switching psu) and Arires G1 (usb and dual lpsu), i feel like Aries is the most streaming focused one. And something cheaper like a ProJect Stream Box S2 Ultra or Stack Audio Link 2 to get a feel for the differences. Or my dealer recommended 3d lab in france.
I was curious if SPDIF data also gets reclocked like usb *allegedly* LOL.
I checked ProJect against G1 and G1 is better even if you add better power supply to streambox it sounds brighter.

Oct 21, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #15,997 of 25,909
I checked ProJect against G1 and G1 is better even if you add better power supply to streambox it sounds brighter.
There was a fellow saying he added G1 to his M-scaler/Dave and it made zero difference vs pc and ProJect made it sound worse, he was in awe of the DCS Network bridge, others ended up disappointed by that as well. I guess i'll start with the Naim nd5 xs2, and then the G1.

Oct 21, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #15,998 of 25,909
As for hqplayer vs m scaler. For me it wasn't even close. Hqplayer and its filters did something to the sound, but effect wasn't close to what is m scaler offering. Sound shapes were flatter not as rounded. Smoothness wasn't the same, only decay feeling seemed to be pretty close.

On what server? The source matters.

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #15,999 of 25,909
I think Mojo is the best thing Chord makes except Dave. I didn't like the Hugo 2, it sounded too bright to me , even with the mojo filter and i didn't even find the TT2 a big enough leap from Mojo, it was just more of the same, better but not radically different with my easy to drive headphones, and also too bright.
If Dave wasn't around, i would've stuck with Mojo.

Thanks for this, it is very much appreciated.

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #16,000 of 25,909
To me, it sounds like Chord took the DNA of the Mojo and used it for the Hugo 2. So not sure how people can dislike the Hugo 2 but like Mojo imo.

I actually don’t like the Hugo 2 and Mojo myself. But the only reason I have them is because DAP’s are not good either and they are also more expensive. So it is more like picking the lesser of evils.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #16,002 of 25,909
To me, it sounds like Chord took the DNA of the Mojo and used it for the Hugo 2. So not sure how people can dislike the Hugo 2 but like Mojo imo.

I actually don’t like the Hugo 2 and Mojo myself. But the only reason I have them is because DAP’s are not good either and they are also more expensive. So it is more like picking the lesser of evils.
Well i didn't like it more than Mojo, it just sounded brighter to me, and like the m-scaler i prefer the darker sound over the slightly increased soundstage. To be fair i haven't tried the Hugo2 on optical, just usb, and it makes a huge difference to Mojo. Back then i still believed all Chord dacs are *everything* immune.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #16,003 of 25,909
The Hugo 2 is indeed brighter. But with the “Mojo filter” it gets closer to the Mojo.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #16,004 of 25,909
The Hugo 2 is indeed brighter. But with the “Mojo filter” it gets closer to the Mojo.
It does, but i still saw little reason to upgrade for my portable setup back then. I'll probably give it another listen when it's time to go back to work and need a new portable setup, something easier to carry around than the Z1R.

Oct 22, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #16,005 of 25,909
Hope this helps you experiment with obtaining better sound using optical cables, without needing to spend the earth.
As a follow up i just realized my old cable wouldn't even handle 24/96, i usually have Tidal set to play Hi-fi, not master and avoid mqa tracks, but i accidentally left in on Master today and a mqa track came up it just cut sound and Tidal switched outputs to my gaming soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back