CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 25, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #1,532 of 25,909
Im running an isotek sigmas, Polaris and a mini Mira on my system and it is indeed very quiet.

Have you tried adding the Evo3 Syncro to it Skamp? The difference is not subtle.

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #1,533 of 25,909
They are completely different DAC's aimed at very different markets. I think I would be the only lunatic to predominantly use Headphones to listen to a MSB Select, whereas the DAVE is built for exactly that purpose. All the Select's I know of have gone into big and I mean big 2 channel systems. Do you use you your Analog DAC for any 2 channel listening?

Trying to ascertain much if anything in show conditions is hard, if anyone can do it its Roy

You are absolutely correct, it is matter of taste, preferences and purpose, but also it is always boundaries and politics involved sadly, so i hope Roy can get us an honest review later on.

Then DAVE is not only a dedicated Headphone DAC, it just got a 1/4 inch headphone output as a feature.
(That is a little miss leading propaganda)

Im mostly use my Analog DAC in a second living room connected to speakers ?:wink:

But what im fishishig for is not which one is the Best, more the differences in their sound presentation and characters? .

And again i hope Roy can tell us this later on without any strings attached .

Nice review of Mojo DAC

http://www.artsexcellence.com/downloads/reviews/chord.mojo.artsexcellence.english.pdf

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #1,535 of 25,909
Yes I do now. One for the sigmas and one for the power amp. I clearly had hum in my electrics and the Syncros eliminated it and dropped the noise floor accordingly.

In retrospect it was obvious that it would improve the other half of my system if it worked on the power amp then the same problem would prevail into the Sigmas until I addressed it.

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #1,537 of 25,909
Not considered that tbh. Maybe I will

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #1,538 of 25,909
They are completely different DAC's aimed at very different markets. I think I would be the only lunatic to predominantly use Headphones to listen to a MSB Select, whereas the DAVE is built for exactly that purpose. All the Select's I know of have gone into big and I mean big 2 channel systems. Do you use you your Analog DAC for any 2 channel listening?

You're saying that DAVE isn't meant to be used in the biggest systems?

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #1,539 of 25,909
You're saying that DAVE isn't meant to be used in the biggest systems?

No that's not what I said, it may well if it starts to make waves on TAS and Stereophile. I am looking forward to seeing that happen, it will give the high end digital marketplace a good jolt.

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #1,540 of 25,909
DAVE Review Part II

http://www.hifistatement.net/tests/item/1681-chord-dave-teil-2

My only question to Rob is what type of monitors / headphones you using when you are developing and do listening tests in your office lab? ?

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #1,541 of 25,909
SO....

just take out the main circuit board, put it is a smaller/lighter case and add a (BIG) battery with well regulated 12v/5v, and you have a... portable DAVE 
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #1,542 of 25,909
SO....

just take out the main circuit board, put it is a smaller/lighter case and add a (BIG) battery with well regulated 12v/5v, and you have a... portable DAVE :wink:

What would be more interesting is the impact on sound quality. I am sure there is some compromise in not having a linear power supply out of a separate box. Can anyone confirm if this is 5v and 12v?

The plug and socket in the main board will make for some straightforward to install, exciting after market power supply opportunities :thinking:

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #1,543 of 25,909
What would be more interesting is the impact on sound quality. I am sure there is some compromise in not having a linear power supply out of a separate box. Can anyone confirm if this is 5v and 12v?

The plug and socket in the main board will make for some straightforward to install, exciting after market power supply opportunities :thinking:

That would be a nice idea!

Like a reverse to what LH Labs have dune with the VI DAC where they have tok a Geec Pulse and the Pulse powersupply and implemend under one chassi and call it the VI DAC.

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #1,544 of 25,909

I am sure there is some compromise in using a linear power supply - in fact I know there are compromises.

Perhaps I should explain.

When developing Hugo in 2012 I had to use switching regulators (battery life issues) rather than linear ones, as we all know linear regulators sound better don't they?

Funny thing was, in testing and listening, the switching regulators sounded a lot smoother and darker with much better sound-stage depth.

Also the DAC measured a lot better too, particularly with very small signals. I now know exactly why this happened, and why they sound better and exactly why they measure better within a DAC.

Moral of the tale? Don't make assumptions based on what you think is happening, do the work, do the measuring, and do the rigorous listening tests. Then you find out that things are not as simple as you think, and you find out that previous certainties were mere assumptions.

Rob

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #1,545 of 25,909
  I am sure there is some compromise in using a linear power supply - in fact I know there are compromises.

Perhaps I should explain.

When developing Hugo in 2012 I had to use switching regulators (battery life issues) rather than linear ones, as we all know linear regulators sound better don't they?

Funny thing was, in testing and listening, the switching regulators sounded a lot smoother and darker with much better sound-stage depth.

Also the DAC measured a lot better too, particularly with very small signals. I now know exactly why this happened, and why they sound better and exactly why they measure better within a DAC.

Moral of the tale? Don't make assumptions based on what you think is happening, do the work, do the measuring, and do the rigorous listening tests. Then you find out that things are not as simple as you think, and you find out that previous certainties were mere assumptions.

Rob

And what about a very Good regulated BIG external battery connected to the plug and socket in the main board ?  

Something like a custom made version of the Black Lightning (LiFePO4 (LFP) battery) by Red Wine Audio ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back