CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 29, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #15,017 of 25,906
But I doubt it is the best sound quality wise.
Well the few tests i ran showed no significant differences between sources feeding the Dave , or my old dac for that matter , so i'm not really buying into the streamer thing .I'll happily run more tests once i have it though :)

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #15,018 of 25,906
interesting on the RFI front, can see now why some people buy the big custom hifi cable DC3 units to power their DAVE now /or the expensive Shunyata NR cables/ or the USB regens/converters before the DAVE.
DAVE is minimally sensitive to be honest. Other stuff, particularly Naim, is easy to spoil though.

DAVE might object to being near a Naim transformer in a power amp or power supply though, since those are big and well, they cause problems in pure Naim systems, let alone anything else.

DAVE will probably upset your preamp, or SNAXO if you have one, if it's close. If you put DAVE in a "brain" rack, then it needs to be far from anything else there. You'll probably want a two shelf gap there.

M Scaler, when you get it, should be far away from everything as it is a bit like an RF bomb going off, continuously. At least 2 feet. It's the kind of thing that you can park on the floor, way off from the rest of the system.

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #15,019 of 25,906
DAVE is minimally sensitive to be honest. Other stuff, particularly Naim, is easy to spoil though.

DAVE might object to being near a Naim transformer in a power amp or power supply though, since those are big and well, they cause problems in pure Naim systems, let alone anything else.

DAVE will probably upset your preamp, or SNAXO if you have one, if it's close. If you put DAVE in a "brain" rack, then it needs to be far from anything else there. You'll probably want a two shelf gap there.

M Scaler, when you get it, should be far away from everything as it is a bit like an RF bomb going off, continuously. At least 2 feet. It's the kind of thing that you can park on the floor, way off from the rest of the system.

thanks for the advice especially on the Mscaler spacing (in hindsight had it far too close to my DAVE/pre-amp

also had DAVE on top shelf which again may be too close to the pre-amp

will do some experimenting once i get my DAVE on rack setup/positioning

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #15,020 of 25,906
thanks for the advice especially on the Mscaler spacing (in hindsight had it far too close to my DAVE/pre-amp

also had DAVE on top shelf which again may be too close to the pre-amp

will do some experimenting once i get my DAVE on rack setup/positioning
We might as well put in in a lead safe :p Chord gear , now with superpowers :p

Jul 30, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #15,024 of 25,906
It is not overblown. I also picked this up last year when i had a Mscaler for the weekend. I did hear differences between the Chord Dave standalone and Dave + Mscaler, but I disliked the brighter sound which I blamed on some kind of noise entering the signal which was not there in the first place.

So I did not buy it in the end as I considered it as a design flaw. (maybe it can be fixed with doing alot of tweaks, but I am not interested in that. I rather keep my setup as simple as possible)

If Chord fixes this, I might reconsider buying the Mscaler.
My dealer told me not to choose m scaler or most of the reclockers with bright headphones like Utopia, HEkse and HD800S.
I think it is because it enhance character of partnering equipment...
Would like to hear it with a system that has solid bass foundation.

Jul 30, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #15,025 of 25,906
Aren't there numbers, measures for the RF radiation output of the MScaler?

Isn't the aluminium case supposed to block that away?

Sorr for the noob questions..
I wouldn't worry about it, the main way it enters the Dave is through the inputs.I'm sure there are measurements ,as the EU has strict guidelines on how much RF/EMI an electronic device can generate.
Just be sure to get yours before Brexit LOL.

Jul 30, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #15,026 of 25,906
Also don’t people with the TT2 sometimes end up stacking the mscaler? I thought only RFi problem was directly thru the bnc connection, not the box itself. I have my Dave on a glass monitor stand that sits about 5 inches above the mscaler. My bnc cables are long enough that I could move the unit to the floor but looks better underneath.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #15,027 of 25,906
Also don’t people with the TT2 sometimes end up stacking the mscaler? I thought only RFi problem was directly thru the bnc connection, not the box itself. I have my Dave on a glass monitor stand that sits about 5 inches above the mscaler. My bnc cables are long enough that I could move the unit to the floor but looks better underneath.

Agree, I wouldn‘t worry about it. I’ve lost count of how many photo’s I’ve seen of high end systems at trade shows etc using a stacked BluDave.

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #15,028 of 25,906
I have my Dave on a glass monitor stand that sits about 5 inches above the mscaler. My bnc cables are long enough that I could move the unit to the floor but looks better underneath.
Also, while you're experimenting, make sure you don't have a server or laptop sat just a few inches above DAVE :)

I made the mistake of placing HMS about 5 inches below DAVE until I thought "I wonder...". I believed the cases would provide enough shielding, but I was wrong.

Luckily HMS with its automatic video mode and automatic input switching means you can hide it away and forget about it, in the same way as you can its power supply.

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #15,029 of 25,906
I have it on good authority that taking hydroxychloroquine will make it sound a whole lot better. Better than better. Beautiful. Take some. What have you got to lose?

I disagree.

As Trump still sounds like schiit no matter how many hydroxychloroquine pills he takes.

:smiley:

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #15,030 of 25,906

I stack TT2 right on top of the M Scaler and have no issues. I've thought about moving M Scaler down to floor level or something, but then I'd miss being able to see the sample rate indicator LED, which I refer to a lot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back