Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 20, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #4,501 of 4,904
What does the HF filter do to overall SQ that one would leave it on all the time? Does it really improve things to a noticeable degree?? Does the Mscaler need the HF filter to be turned in as well for better SQ?
Good question! Originally Rob himself recommended to use it for high-res recordings (88.2+ kHz) to filter out ultrasonic noise prone to noise floor modulation and leave it engaged even for «low-res» stuff for convenience and to make the sound minimally smoother. During quite a while I preferred it off, though, but recently have changed my mind. Since the arrival of the M Scaler I haven't yet experimented with it, particularly due to a phase where the M Scaler introduced a considerable amount of hardness thanks to its ruthless accuracy – at least with my HE1000 and the established, meticulously developed EQ curve for it. Now that I've turned the corner (with an adapted curve) I may be ready to experiment with the HF filter again.

I would say the effect of the HF filter is very subtle, but absolutely noticeable if you know what to listen for. Either it removes some sharpness or it makes the music slightly smoother than reality – depending on the rest of the chain and the respective recording. After all it causes a 1 dB drop-off at 20 kHz, thus maybe –0.33 dB at 13 kHz, apart from the potential noise-floor reduction resulting in increased smoothness.

Oct 22, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #4,502 of 4,904
Just leave it on green for a smoother sound. Seems to be the way to remove the HF noise from HD (88.2 to 768 kHz) recordings. I also use it with 44.1kHz with good effect.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #4,503 of 4,904
for those who have been so helpful in terms of trying to figure out what was all of a sudden causing drop outs with my dave/blu2 after 18 months of use without any issues i think I may have stumbled upon the problem..at least so far....I bought a new macbook pro and updated to the new operating system and thought perhaps that had something to do with it so I went back to my old laptop to see if i had the same problem...upon initial use it appeared i was not having the problem with the old laptop and initially attributed it to the different operating systems but as luck would have it i decided to check my settings in Roon on the old and new laptops and I noticed that on the old roon headroom adjustment was set to -3 but in my new laptop I had set it to zero on my thought that i would get a bit more volume.....when I switched back to -3 suddenly the drop outs stopped,at least for the time being...I have listened to at least half a dozen albums from beginning to end without any drop outs just as had been the case for 18 months...I am crossing my fingers that i have indeed stumbled upon the problem and solution...I cannot say anything is for certain yet but it sure looks promising....again thanks much to many who reached out with suggestions!

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #4,504 of 4,904
for those who have been so helpful in terms of trying to figure out what was all of a sudden causing drop outs with my dave/blu2 after 18 months of use without any issues i think I may have stumbled upon the problem..at least so far....I bought a new macbook pro and updated to the new operating system and thought perhaps that had something to do with it so I went back to my old laptop to see if i had the same problem...upon initial use it appeared i was not having the problem with the old laptop and initially attributed it to the different operating systems but as luck would have it i decided to check my settings in Roon on the old and new laptops and I noticed that on the old roon headroom adjustment was set to -3 but in my new laptop I had set it to zero on my thought that i would get a bit more volume.....when I switched back to -3 suddenly the drop outs stopped,at least for the time being...I have listened to at least half a dozen albums from beginning to end without any drop outs just as had been the case for 18 months...I am crossing my fingers that i have indeed stumbled upon the problem and solution...I cannot say anything is for certain yet but it sure looks promising....again thanks much to many who reached out with suggestions!

Amazing. Fingers crossed for you.

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #4,505 of 4,904
my fingers are crossed as well....prior to the change i was getting drop outs during the play period of most albums ....i havent had one since the change and had never had them for 18 months prior....wild huh?....

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #4,506 of 4,904
Is Roon bit perfect if you set the headroom adjustment to -3?

Oct 24, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #4,507 of 4,904
-3 is the default setting....as far as i understand the answer is yes....you have to go out of your way to set it to other than -3

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #4,508 of 4,904
Any altering of roon's dsp settings compromises bit perfect delivery AFAIK. For true bit perfect all dsp settings are disabled on my roon.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #4,509 of 4,904
as far as i understand any playback that shows the purple light is bit perfect.....

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #4,510 of 4,904
as far as i understand any playback that shows the purple light is bit perfect.....
This does not sound right. Other than some sort of authenticated (or pseudo authenticated like MQA) but stream, a receiving device cannot tell if a bit stream has been modified....

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #4,511 of 4,904
If the bit stream is modified it is technically no longer bit perfect on roon see my post above. All dsp should be disabled.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #4,512 of 4,904
dsp is disabled...the only thing on is the clipping indicator and the -3 for the headroom

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #4,514 of 4,904
Clipping indicator and headroom also off IMHO for true bit perfect. Lou Reed the Raven is a stunning recording on roon as played above.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #4,515 of 4,904
Greetinks to all; have you ever noticed incompatibility with power cable other than the original one? I tried a Nordost Vishnu but the sound was terribly distorted; all ok instead with the stock one. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back