Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 20, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #4,471 of 4,904
Always good to see posts like that from @zettelsm

Just to say that I can see from the plastic wrap on the cable that it is the same previous generation Alpha HC (high current) cable I have feeding my DAVE. That cable is no longer available to buy in separate high current, analogue and digital versions (although there are plenty to be found on the used market). Shunyata revised the filtering over a year ago to sound equally good with all types of component and the cable is now only available in two versions - ‘NR’ and ‘EF’. Best to visit the Shunyata website to read up on what the differences are.

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #4,472 of 4,904
Thanks for your post. Interesting to read and some good photos too.
One question though. Is your not so humble looking turntable going into retirement now or does it still put up a good fight against your new Chord combo?
Just wondering you know. Cheers Christer

Thanks very much for the kind words, Christer. I'm always surprised at how good a picture the Apple iPhone takes -- so much so I'm embarrassed to say my "serious" camera languishes on the shelf too much of the time.

Not so the turntable. Though I have been playing digitally sourced music much more since the Blu2 and DAVE arrived, it is still getting lots of use. However, now for the first time I can say digital playback has reached parity with really good analog. In fact I'd say that it is down to the provenance of the recording and the skill and care of the recording engineer which media I prefer for any given album. After suffering through a lot of disappointing and expensive trials with digital playback equipment I think digital has finally come of age with Chord.

Best regards,

Steve Z

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #4,473 of 4,904
Which Shunyata power cables are you using and what kind of SQ improvement did you hear? Is the improvement equally worth the investment for both the Blu2 and DAVE or could you live with just one and which one. Trying to keep within budget. Also, did you consider the other option for dual BNCs offered by Clear Audio (Silver-line Optimus Reference) for a bit less cost?

Hello Tunes,

STR-1 nailed it exactly -- Shunyata Alpha HC power cords for both. They are the last two hold-overs left when I traded up to Alpha and Sigma NR power cords for the rest of my kit. I would say that the Shunyata cords provide a lower noise floor and a easy, relaxed dynamism that really support the Chord virtues of clarity, wide and very deep sound-stage, and tonally saturated images.

As STR-1 says, the Alpha HCs are no longer available new, but can be picked up for very good prices on the used market. Since I have (just) enough Alphas or better to go around, I didn't try just one or the other Blu2 or DAVE, so I can't say which I would do first. Sorry.

The good/bad news is, (and I heard the same thing when I was using Nordost Valhalla wiring) the good effects of Shunyata, Nordost, and presumably other manufacturers' cords, cables and interconnects are best heard when everything is using the same family of wire. Something I very convincingly proved to myself in reverse not so long ago when I pulled all the Shunyata equipment and cabling and went back to OEM cables, zip cord and cheap interconnects as a credibility check. What a flat, uninteresting and uninvolving mess that turned some expensive stereo equipment into!

Any way, good luck, and I now return you to your regularly scheduled Blu2 thread!

Steve Z

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #4,474 of 4,904
I mix Shunyata power cords (old Anacondas of various generations) with Stealth ICs for the best sound (after careful experimentation). I also like the TelWire power cords. The Telwires are much easier to deal with (slim and flexible). Shunyatas sound great but can be hassle to fit into your configuration, but they are pretty flexible for something that thick.

The old Shunyata Anaconda VX is very nice on digital (not on amps, where it was not meant to be used), and the old Anaconda Helix or the original Anaconda Alphas are nice everywhere. There are lots on the used market.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #4,475 of 4,904
I agree, Shunyata Alpha HC is a brilliant cable for Chord Dave. On the (digital only) MScaler I will probably use a spare Shunyata Alpha Digital cable, with a Venom C14>C7 adapter.

Sep 20, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #4,476 of 4,904
@STR-1
I see from your signature that you are using a SOtM tX-USBultra in your digital front end. If you'd care to take the time to PM me, I'd like to learn what your thoughts are about what the tX-USBultra is bringing to your set-up.

Thanks!

Steve Z

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #4,477 of 4,904
Being able to reproduce timbre variations correctly absolutely requires sinc function accuracy filters, and this means 1M taps. Being able to reproduce flow and tempo accurately also requires 1M taps; so I do not agree that other DACs are capable of better tempo or timbre variations. And I have scientific facts to back up my assertions; it is a fact that we can only recover the original analogue waveform to guaranteed 16 bits accuracy with a sinc function and a million taps - something all other DACs completely fail to do.

Does that mean Chord DACs prior to Blu2/M Scaler are not able to reproduce timbre variations, flow, and tempo correctly?

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #4,478 of 4,904
Does that mean Chord DACs prior to Blu2/M Scaler are not able to reproduce timbre variations, flow, and tempo correctly?

Sure - but they did it far better than any other DACs, at any price point, as they are much more ideal sinc like, having the WTA filter. I have never said that any of my designs are perfect, and can't be improved upon...

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #4,479 of 4,904
@STR-1
I see from your signature that you are using a SOtM tX-USBultra in your digital front end. If you'd care to take the time to PM me, I'd like to learn what your thoughts are about what the tX-USBultra is bringing to your set-up.

Thanks!

Steve Z
I will be happy to. But it will be a few days before I can do this (remind me if I forget). I’ve had enough chopping and changing things around over the last couple weeks assessing usb cables and my new Mscaler. Reminding myself of the benefits the tX-U brings wasn’t part of that testing.

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #4,480 of 4,904
I will be happy to. But it will be a few days before I can do this (remind me if I forget). I’ve had enough chopping and changing things around over the last couple weeks assessing usb cables and my new Mscaler. Reminding myself of the benefits the tX-U brings wasn’t part of that testing.

I have a SOtM tx-USBultra ( powered by P Hynes power ) as well please, could you include me as I would like to know you findings. I will be testing later with a server and a DAP ( with and without ) it might impact it's own signature into Dave-Mscaler…?

Sep 21, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #4,481 of 4,904
@STR-1

Thanks!

Steve Z

I have a SOtM tx-USBultra ( powered by P Hynes power ) as well please, could you include me as I would like to know you findings. I will be testing later with a server and a DAP ( with and without ) it might impact it's own signature into Dave-Mscaler…?
I think I should just mention again (after mentioning in tne Mscaler thread) that I listen exclusively through headphones (and very highly resolving ones when using Utopia/Prion4). I will be hearing things differently from those using speakers, more of some things and less of others.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #4,482 of 4,904
Hello Tunes,

STR-1 nailed it exactly -- Shunyata Alpha HC power cords for both. They are the last two hold-overs left when I traded up to Alpha and Sigma NR power cords for the rest of my kit. I would say that the Shunyata cords provide a lower noise floor and a easy, relaxed dynamism that really support the Chord virtues of clarity, wide and very deep sound-stage, and tonally saturated images.

As STR-1 says, the Alpha HCs are no longer available new, but can be picked up for very good prices on the used market. Since I have (just) enough Alphas or better to go around, I didn't try just one or the other Blu2 or DAVE, so I can't say which I would do first. Sorry.

The good/bad news is, (and I heard the same thing when I was using Nordost Valhalla wiring) the good effects of Shunyata, Nordost, and presumably other manufacturers' cords, cables and interconnects are best heard when everything is using the same family of wire. Something I very convincingly proved to myself in reverse not so long ago when I pulled all the Shunyata equipment and cabling and went back to OEM cables, zip cord and cheap interconnects as a credibility check. What a flat, uninteresting and uninvolving mess that turned some expensive stereo equipment into!

Any way, good luck, and I now return you to your regularly scheduled Blu2 thread!

Steve Z
Can I just ask which of your components work best with the Triton/Typhon, and which (if any) you would advise not to use with Shunyata power distributors? Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #4,483 of 4,904
Can I just ask which of your components work best with the Triton/Typhon, and which (if any) you would advise not to use with Shunyata power distributors? Thanks.

You’re very welcome. When I had Triton v2 and Typhon in parallel with the Triton v2 I ran all equipment except my amplifier into the the Triton. The amplifier I plugged directly into the wall via a Shunyata wall receptacle.

With Triton v3 and especially with Typhon QR (series connected) I find all equipment including power amp sounds best plugged directly into the Triton v3. The upgrades from Triton v2 to v3 and Typhon to Typhon QR are definitely not subtle.

Steve Z

Sep 21, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #4,484 of 4,904
You’re very welcome. When I had Triton v2 and Typhon in parallel with the Triton v2 I ran all equipment except my amplifier into the the Triton. The amplifier I plugged directly into the wall via a Shunyata wall receptacle.

With Triton v3 and especially with Typhon QR (series connected) I find all equipment including power amp sounds best plugged directly into the Triton v3. The upgrades from Triton v2 to v3 and Typhon to Typhon QR are definitely not subtle.

Steve Z
Thanks. I appreciate that.

My current options are more modest. I have a Shunyata Venom UK6, which currently lacks a decent supply cable. It is a first generation model, which I got cheaply but I am thinking of upgrading to the much improved current version, and to possibly get a Shunyata Delta NR to feed that. I would of course try all of my components in that distributor but half expect that I will find the DAVE (with Alpha HC) to sound better plugged directly into the wall socket. We shall see.

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #4,485 of 4,904
Thanks. I appreciate that.

My current options are more modest. I have a Shunyata Venom UK6, which currently lacks a decent supply cable. It is a first generation model, which I got cheaply but I am thinking of upgrading to the much improved current version, and to possibly get a Shunyata Delta NR to feed that. I would of course try all of my components in that distributor but half expect that I will find the DAVE (with Alpha HC) to sound better plugged directly into the wall socket. We shall see.

You are very welcome. If you can at all stretch your budget I can recommend Shunyata’s Denali series power distribution/conditioner devices as a very effective and less costly (though still not cheap) solution than the Triton and Typhon family. I tried a Denali when it first came out, and though I thought the Triton and Triton/Typhon combo were more effective — no surprise as their larger cases can contain larger busswork and noise suppression devices — I was very impressed. Were I not heavily invested in the Triton and Typhon I could easily live happily ever after with the Denali.

Best regards,

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back