Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 28, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #2,746 of 4,904
When I first got Dave I had a harshness so as I do for Spectral preamps I capped all unused inputs to prevent RFI infiltration, unnecessary with Dave as Rob later stated all unused inputs are set to zero put it doesn't hurt so I left them. Also capped coax 3 and 4 inputs. Still not sure the source of the harshness it raises it's ugly head with AMT tweeters not domes or ribbons?
I haven't been able to find a 110 ohm terminator/shorting-cap/-plug for the AES input, so I have a 120 ohm one instead. I also use eight 75 ohm terminators on all the BNC sockets.

I haven't found a difference with them. Maybe I'll have another go, but I'm definitely not prepared to recommend them right now.

Now playing: Belly - Every Word

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #2,747 of 4,904
The listed price i wrote is just for one single cable, and i ordered two of them for a resonable price, but still over the moon. I did it for fun and to contribute to the forum DAVE+BluII members, so we can see how great one of the greatest Ultra High End cables money can buy will performe vs one of the cheapest, but spec wise one of the best, how they compare to each other. I will also compare the rest of the mentioned cables.

Will put on ferrite blocks also and see what happens.
Can you get your hands on a pair of Clearer Audio coax for comparison?

Feb 28, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #2,748 of 4,904
The 3 month wait I had, turned into 10 days! So excited to have it here. 1st cd at random I loaded (still playing) is Pink Floyd's The Endless River. I'm not worried about further refinements, that can come later. For now, this is easily the best I've heard my system sound. Good stuff. IMG_20180228_191953.jpg IMG_20180228_183742.jpg

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #2,750 of 4,904
The 3 month wait I had, turned into 10 days! So excited to have it here. 1st cd at random I loaded (still playing) is Pink Floyd's The Endless River. I'm not worried about further refinements, that can come later. For now, this is easily the best I've heard my system sound. Good stuff.
I’ll give you a week and you’ll be tweaking your system!

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #2,752 of 4,904
I’ll give you a week and you’ll be tweaking your system!

It's in our nature!! I think my abstinence from tweaking comment was only meant to defend my first evening, haha...As the previous comment touches upon, this thread can mistakenly give the appearance of there being flaws which need to be addressed to properly enjoy this gear, and the phenomenal achievement that it represents in digital audio. The truth be told, many of us possess a never ending 'seekers mentality', that drives us to push ever further on, in the pursuit of some unattainable perfection. I'm ok with that, it is just human nature, I think. To be ever curious, and to seek new horizons. I recognize it, and enjoy it, and I am happy to hold this reality simultaneous to the reality that in our household, we LOVE good sound, good music, and I attest that I'm thoroughly enjoying what I am hearing. In fact, I will say that I consider it to be HIGHLY encouraging to hear the profound improvements with music reproduction in my system, as limited as it is. I can look forward to sourcing better interconnects (possibly trying out another set of digital cables), figuring out my ferrite situation, and one day getting a world class amp. Maybe by the time I'm ready for an amp, the fabled Chord digital amp will be available.

I would like to especially thank @ray-dude and @bacon333. The words that these two gentlemen wrote made a significant impression upon me, and sped up my timetable for purchasing a Blu II. I already had the idea that I wanted to pursue obtaining one, but fresh off of purchasing a DAVE, I was thinking that it would be a year or more before it happened. Especially ray-dude, your impassioned review of both DAVE and Blu were difference makers for me. And even with my current setup running the combination through a preamp, etc., my impression perfectly corresponds with what I have read. The sounds of instruments and voices has taken a quantum leap in sound quality, everything has an increased space/depth and naturalness. And this applies to ALL manner of material, as has been mentioned.

So let my voice be one more, serving to let others know that BluDAVE is every bit as good as it is billed to be, and represents an utterly worthwhile pursuit.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #2,753 of 4,904
Thank you all for posting the different cable variations and based on your all your suggestions ordered the following two cables to try,

I will be placing order for

RF Cable Assemblies HD-BNC ST PLG-BNC PLG Belden4855R 36in https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/523-095-850-187M100

Silver-line Optimus Reference Speaker Cable https://www.cleareraudio.com/products/silver-line-optimus-reference-speaker-cable

I have also ordered a set of

Chord Sarum T https://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/cables...ables/chord-sarum-t-digital-rca-interconnect/

If I may ask one question ( no tech knowledge sorry ) are these the ferrites in the ball park to try ...? As 25MHz 35Ohm but RS state "They are also suitable for EMI problems between 100 MHz up to 2.5 GHz and can reduce USB 2.0 disturbance." so some what confused...?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ferrite-core/5002972/ Wurth 74271622S

I will report back when I get the Blu2

Again thank you all for the help.

Edit above should read cleareraudio bnc interconnect and not speaker cable

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #2,754 of 4,904
Can you get your hands on a pair of Clearer Audio coax for comparison?

Maybe i could, but i think i already got the best possible BNC cables money can buy to compare with, but if i can buy it with a 30 days try - and return policy i can manage it.

Find this clip on MIT technology , sounds like Star-Trek , but they got many points about cables that many do not know, or think of:

Please watch

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #2,755 of 4,904
Maybe i could, but i think i already got the best possible BNC cables money can buy to compare with, but if i can buy it with a 30 days try - and return policy i can manage it.

Find this clip on MIT technology , sounds like Star-Trek , but the got many points about cables that many do not know or think of:

Please watch

The reason I ask is I’ve never been impressed with MIT cables but you never know and I purchased the CA coax because a friend tried a lot of cables and found the CA coax better than anything else by a fair margin which I concur with in my system but only 4 or 5 cables to compare with. Yes CA gives you an audition period.

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #2,756 of 4,904
Thank you all for posting the different cable variations and based on your all your suggestions ordered the following two cables to try,

I will be placing order for

RF Cable Assemblies HD-BNC ST PLG-BNC PLG Belden4855R 36in https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/523-095-850-187M100

Silver-line Optimus Reference Speaker Cable https://www.cleareraudio.com/products/silver-line-optimus-reference-speaker-cable

I have also ordered a set of

Chord Sarum T https://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/cables...ables/chord-sarum-t-digital-rca-interconnect/

If I may ask one question ( no tech knowledge sorry ) are these the ferrites in the ball park to try ...? As 25MHz 35Ohm but RS state "They are also suitable for EMI problems between 100 MHz up to 2.5 GHz and can reduce USB 2.0 disturbance." so some what confused...?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ferrite-core/5002972/ Wurth 74271622S

I will report back when I get the Blu2

Again thank you all for the help.
For the 2 coax between Blu2 and Dave either the 2.5 ghz Wurths or the 61 material Fair Rites (1/2 the cost) you will need at least 16 per cable and the inside diameter should be a close match to you cables diameter

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #2,757 of 4,904
blimey this thread seems to be all about ferrites and cables...? not about blu2 anymore LOL
I usually read this thread and agree with you. I have a Blu2 for 9 months now, put a (good) pair of BNC cables on it and never looked back. Too much ferrites talk. I believe the Blu2 is simply stellar with little more. Best to all

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #2,758 of 4,904
The 3 month wait I had, turned into 10 days! So excited to have it here. 1st cd at random I loaded (still playing) is Pink Floyd's The Endless River. I'm not worried about further refinements, that can come later. For now, this is easily the best I've heard my system sound. Good stuff.

Good to see someone take vibration seriously. Nice setup

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #2,759 of 4,904
One of the comments that crops up regularly when people first hear Blu MkII in my house is “that must be a remix”. Room reverb stands out so clear with Blu MkII that they assume it just wasn’t on their own recording. Someone said on the Dave thread that it’s like it remastered your whole collection. This is a fair assessment for the Blu II also. It paints a living space.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #2,760 of 4,904
The reason I ask is I’ve never been impressed with MIT cables but you never know and I purchased the CA coax because a friend tried a lot of cables and found the CA coax better than anything else by a fair margin which I concur with in my system but only 4 or 5 cables to compare with. Yes CA gives you an audition period.

Okey, but have he realy tested the CA against Transparent Ref 5 BNC , Nordost Valhalla BNC , Harmonix BNC , the new MIT Oracle MA-X Ver.3 BNC , Apogee Wyde Eye Studio Pro , Artisan ultimate silver dream BNC , Canare 12G , Belden 8k cable?

I have also borrowed two exotic cables from Bibacord and a Silltech Anniversary Silver / Gold BNC from a friends store, so the tests can begin.

i dont really see what the CA will do diffrent, but if somenone like to send me two loaners i can test it out, but i am sceptic it will over power all the mentioned cables as the holy grail.

Is it the CA Silver Line Optimus Reference BNC you are referring to?

https://www.cleareraudio.com/products/silver-line-optimus-75-reference-interconnect

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back