Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 26, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #2,733 of 4,904
I use Clearer Audio Sig Ref Digital Coax cables with 4 x Wurth 2.5 GHz ferrites (12.5 mm dia split core) on each, very happy with the results... the ferrites are substantial and the cables need supporting, even though only 0.5m each (which is cheaper than 0,75m :wink:). On request you can have Oyaide silver BNCs fitted, essential really

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #2,734 of 4,904
I agreed 100% with cheaper coax until I took the time and spent the money to do the time consuming and costly experiment. I purchased 3 CA coaxes, 3 Black Kat coaxes, made 3 semi rigid coaxes, made 3 Belden coaxes and tried the 2 Chord coaxes, I also bought 60 Fair Rites, 60 Wurths, and 60 Topnisus. Time to break in the cables and time to listen was substantial. Now people on this forum declare their cheap cables are as good as expensive cables that they have never tried in their system? and continue to push this theme any time one posts an improvement with other than cheap coax? I hope the majority sees through these naysayers that wont put their money (or time) where their mouths are. Easy to post on the internet it's another thing altogether to take the time and money, do the experiment and post results to help others.. Now to put it into perspective Dave sounds great out of the box, better yet with Blu2 and the stock coax. But improvements can be had for those willing to try better shielded cables and either the Fair Rite 61 or the Wurth 2.5 Ghz ferrites. It's about getting every last drop of goodness out of Blu2/Dave. So stop posting in ignorance if you have not done the experiment! If some one has spent $20,000 on Blu2/Dave and wants the last 2% for another 10% investment why not? Not cost effective but neither is Blu2/Dave. Please stop posting how your cheap cable is as good as the CA's until you personally try them in your system or at least man up and state you haven't tried the CA's when you make these posts! Yes you Triode User you post just after I do every time whats your point you've never taken the time to do the experiment but try to come across as the duty expert on Blu2/Dave, you don't even take the time to try ferrites that you have purchased! Knock it off!

No need to get tetchy. I am not saying that other bnc cables cannot sound different. What I do object to is an implication that only expensive cables can deliver quality. If CA are better then I would rather find out why they are better and replicate that with a more cost effective solution. I used to use Chord Sarum Super Aray interconnects between Dave and the amp but then I thought it is crazy to have £2,000 cables so I set about making my own. I have sold the chord cables because mine were better. Cables are not rocket science.

Feb 26, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #2,735 of 4,904
No need to get tetchy. I am not saying that other bnc cables cannot sound different. What I do object to is an implication that only expensive cables can deliver quality. If CA are better then I would rather find out why they are better and replicate that with a more cost effective solution. I used to use Chord Sarum Super Aray interconnects between Dave and the amp but then I thought it is crazy to have £2,000 cables so I set about making my own. I have sold the chord cables because mine were better. Cables are not rocket science.
Read my posts before you make statements I never said inexpensive cables can’t sound good I said the CA coax is the best I’ve heard in my system and they got even better with16 Fair Rite 61’s What you have been implying is the CA’s (disguised as “expensive cables” ) are not worth the money without ever trying them in your system. We all want a cost effective solution I found one, ProJect CD box rs, lifatec toslink and a Hugo2. If you want the absolute best then you need to spend the money on a Blu2, CA coax, Fair Rite 61’s and a Dave (in my system!) take the time and make the effort to do the experiment before making implications
I ffully expect a tit for tat rebuttal within minutes that seems to be your MO

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #2,737 of 4,904
That's the price for .75 M. Doesn't Rob recommend a 2 M length?
2m is to reduce reflections
But 2m CA cables would be very expensive so I chose a shorter length. I hope Dave’s coax input minimizes reflections! One can put more ferrites on a longer cable but these are 1/2” in diameter so the ferrites are huge I’m happy with the 16 that fit on the .7m length. I did string 2 together with an adapter and convinced myself that there was no improvement with 1.5 m length and 32 ferrites.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #2,738 of 4,904
2m is to reduce reflections
Rob reported that a 2m length was slightly better than 1m, with the theory that it reduces the strength of common-mode RF noise.

Reflections in an electrical cable are caused by mismatched impedance at either end where connecting to another circuit. High quality cable and connectors with consistent impedance values (75 ohms for the BNCs between Blu 2 and DAVE) will guarantee minimal reflections. The connectors "disappear", because they appear as though they have the same electrical properties as the cable itself.

But 2m CA cables would be very expensive so I chose a shorter length. I hope Dave’s coax input minimizes reflections! One can put more ferrites on a longer cable but these are 1/2” in diameter so the ferrites are huge I’m happy with the 16 that fit on the .7m length. I did string 2 together with an adapter and convinced myself that there was no improvement with 1.5 m length and 32 ferrites.
I think we have a pretty good rule of thumb with ferrites: once you have started to hear a difference by adding ferrites, keep on adding them until you can't find any more difference.

With Blu 2 and its BNCs that connect to DAVE there is theoretically another indicator: that a USB source and CD replay by Blu 2 sound the same once enough ferrites have been used (and/or the right cable has been used). But there are some people who report it's always possible to hear the result of tweaks to the USB source or the USB cabling/spaghetti, no matter how good the BNC cables/ferrites are. I think that just proves that the noise flowing through Blu 2 from a USB source is worse than the noise that Blu 2 itself produces.

And there's also the question of whether ferrites are filtering the noise that's causing a problem. It might take 50 or more ferrites to produce enough impedance for one kind of noise, but only 20 for a different type of noise. So if you think you've solved sound quality issues with 20 ferrites because you stop hearing changes, you may still be far away from solving another kind of noise problem. So then use a mixture of ferrites... Or it might that what's required is 20 of the right ferrites versus 50 of the wrong kind...

A potentially serious problem with a BNC cable is that it might not be long enough to fit enough ferrites to reach the point where sound quality stops improving. When starting with a "good" BNC cable the number of ferrites required should be less, so that should mean the cable can be shorter.

It could be said that a better cable, that costs a lot more, reduces the spend on ferrites. It can cost $200 or more to put 10s of ferrites on both BNC cables (if using the most expensive ferrites). Meanwhile a very short length, say 50cm, of very good but expensive cable is arguably not that different in price versus a cheaper, longer, BNC cable with many more ferrites. Though there's still going to be the temptation to add ferrites to the short expensive cable so that's when the price margin grows again...

It's all enough to try one's patience.

As a potential future M Scaler purchaser, selfishly, I'd like to see more consensus on this stuff - I don't think there's any pair of people, out of those who've experimented, that is using the same configuration of cables and ferrites...

Now playing: Arne Domnérus et al - I'm Confessin' (Jazz at the Pawnshop)

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #2,739 of 4,904
4067484F-F9A3-47AE-8D77-103CFA053F1A.jpeg
Rob reported that a 2m length was slightly better than 1m, with the theory that it reduces the strength of common-mode RF noise.

Reflections in an electrical cable are caused by mismatched impedance at either end where connecting to another circuit. High quality cable and connectors with consistent impedance values (75 ohms for the BNCs between Blu 2 and DAVE) will guarantee minimal reflections. The connectors "disappear", because they appear as though they have the same electrical properties as the cable itself.

I think we have a pretty good rule of thumb with ferrites: once you have started to hear a difference by adding ferrites, keep on adding them until you can't find any more difference.

With Blu 2 and its BNCs that connect to DAVE there is theoretically another indicator: that a USB source and CD replay by Blu 2 sound the same once enough ferrites have been used (and/or the right cable has been used). But there are some people who report it's always possible to hear the result of tweaks to the USB source or the USB cabling/spaghetti, no matter how good the BNC cables/ferrites are. I think that just proves that the noise flowing through Blu 2 from a USB source is worse than the noise that Blu 2 itself produces.

And there's also the question of whether ferrites are filtering the noise that's causing a problem. It might take 50 or more ferrites to produce enough impedance for one kind of noise, but only 20 for a different type of noise. So if you think you've solved sound quality issues with 20 ferrites because you stop hearing changes, you may still be far away from solving another kind of noise problem. So then use a mixture of ferrites... Or it might that what's required is 20 of the right ferrites versus 50 of the wrong kind...

A potentially serious problem with a BNC cable is that it might not be long enough to fit enough ferrites to reach the point where sound quality stops improving. When starting with a "good" BNC cable the number of ferrites required should be less, so that should mean the cable can be shorter.

It could be said that a better cable, that costs a lot more, reduces the spend on ferrites. It can cost $200 or more to put 10s of ferrites on both BNC cables (if using the most expensive ferrites). Meanwhile a very short length, say 50cm, of very good but expensive cable is arguably not that different in price versus a cheaper, longer, BNC cable with many more ferrites. Though there's still going to be the temptation to add ferrites to the short expensive cable so that's when the price margin grows again...

It's all enough to try one's patience.

As a potential future M Scaler purchaser, selfishly, I'd like to see more consensus on this stuff - I don't think there's any pair of people, out of those who've experimented, that is using the same configuration of cables and ferrites...

Now playing: Arne Domnérus et al - I'm Confessin' (Jazz at the Pawnshop)
Agreed, one advantage to the CA coax is its diameter the ferrites are huge at least 4 times more material than a 6mm ferrite so probably much more effective. On a practical note where would I put a pair of 2m coaxes with 40 ferrites?

Feb 27, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #2,741 of 4,904

Agreed, one advantage to the CA coax is its diameter the ferrites are huge at least 4 times more material than a 6mm ferrite so probably much more effective.
Yes, greater thickness of the ferrite is a positive attribute. But it should be reasonably tight rather than there being a gap (advice for others...)

On a practical note where would I put a pair of 2m coaxes with 40 ferrites?
If you can't see them, who cares?... :) But yes, the cables do become awkward. I suppose if you don't have earthquakes to deal with then they should at least stay where you put them, once you've worked that out!

What is the cap that you have on the AES input on the back of DAVE?

Now playing: David Last - The Push Pull

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #2,742 of 4,904
Yes, greater thickness of the ferrite is a positive attribute. But it should be reasonably tight rather than there being a gap (advice for others...)

If you can't see them, who cares?... :) But yes, the cables do become awkward. I suppose if you don't have earthquakes to deal with then they should at least stay where you put them, once you've worked that out!

What is the cap that you have on the AES input on the back of DAVE?

Now playing: David Last - The Push Pull
When I first got Dave I had a harshness so as I do for Spectral preamps I capped all unused inputs to prevent RFI infiltration, unnecessary with Dave as Rob later stated all unused inputs are set to zero put it doesn't hurt so I left them. Also capped coax 3 and 4 inputs. Still not sure the source of the harshness it raises it's ugly head with AMT tweeters not domes or ribbons?

Feb 28, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #2,743 of 4,904
Just for fun, i ordered this evening ”The Godfather of all BNC cables according to many elite journalists, manufacturers like dCS, Nagra , Esoteric etc and forum members:

MIT Oracle MA-X BNC-BNC in 1 m.
$4490,00 with the Patent pending articulation / resolution function.

13D55C32-47A8-492C-8F03-FA8D7500A4BA.jpeg
1CCB2910-425E-476C-968F-9DD5E5A9DE35.jpeg
6B9BA96F-A99B-4E42-B16D-FB55A5BDD371.jpeg

I havent experienced this cable irl before, i have just read alot about it during the years, so it will be great fun to compare it to the Nordost Valhalla BNC , Transparent Ref 5 BNC , Apogee Wyde EYE BNC and not but not least my favorite and most bang for the buck the Canare 12G 4K BNC-BNC.

This will be interesting... stay tuned..

Please watch this clip about the Star-Trec technology of the MIT cables:

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #2,744 of 4,904
Just for fun, i ordered this evening ”The Godfather of all BNC cables according to many elite journalists, manufacturers like dCS, Nagra , Esoteric etc and forum members:

MIT Oracle MA-X BNC-BNC in 1 m.
$4490,00 with the articulation / resolution function.

I havent experienced this cable irl before, i have just read alot about it during the years, so it will be great fun to compare it to the Nordost Valhalla BNC , Transparent Ref 5 BNC , Apogee Wyde EYE BNC and not but not least my favorite and most bang for the buck the Canare 12G 4K BNC-BNC.

This will be interesting... stay tuned..

So that is 9000 usd per pair or does one get a pair for the price you mentioned? I know that some individuals get irritated when I carp on about expensive cables but I hope you have your captain sensible hat on when you plug the cables in.

Feb 28, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #2,745 of 4,904
The listed price i wrote is just for one single cable, and i ordered two of them for a resonable price, but still over the moon. I did it for fun and to contribute to the forum DAVE+BluII members, so we can see how great one of the greatest Ultra High End cables money can buy will performe vs one of the cheapest, but spec wise one of the best, how they compare to each other. I will also compare the rest of the mentioned cables.

Will put on ferrite blocks also and see what happens.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back