Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 10, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #3,691 of 4,904
Quite simply because you have no intention of buying them but rather appear to want to make mischief. If I was to quote technical aspects then I can only anticipate a response attempting to belittle what I say. I am sorry but I am not going to play that game with you.

I am not wanting to make mischief. Nor do I wish to belittle you. Accusing me of either is a personal attack. I ask you to withdraw those accusations, for they are unfounded. I am asking legitimate questions about the value and performance of your cables. You can answer them, or not, but attacking me is not acceptable.

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #3,692 of 4,904
I am not wanting to make mischief. Nor do I wish to belittle you. Accusing me of either is a personal attack. I ask you to withdraw those accusations, for they are unfounded. I am asking legitimate questions about the value and performance of your cables. You can answer them, or not, but attacking me is not acceptable.

Andrew, it is not my intention to personally attack you and if you have taken my comments that way then of course I withdraw them.

Equally though, in the interests of your comments not being seen or taken as a personal attack on me or my products that it would be prudent for you to broaden the scope of your discussion to relate to any broader issue you are trying to make rather than focussing your attentions solely on me which, otherwise I can only take as being a personal attack.

That way perhaps harmony can be restored and the thread can revert to it's topic.

Nick

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #3,693 of 4,904
Andrew, it is not my intention to personally attack you and if you have taken my comments that way then of course I withdraw them.

Equally though, in the interests of your comments not being seen or taken as a personal attack on me or my products that it would be prudent for you to broaden the scope of your discussion to relate to any broader issue you are trying to make rather than focussing your attentions solely on me which, otherwise I can only take as being a personal attack.

That way perhaps harmony can be restored and the thread can revert to it's topic.

Nick

Why is asking you a question a personal attack? I am certainly not attacking you. But folk have every right to subject your products to critical scrutiny. The most obvious question being why on earth a couple of 1m cables terminated with an inexpensive connector that takes a few minutes to attach without any fancy equipment or expertise are sold for £1650. I am not picking on you. I would ask the same question of anyone who offered such expensive cables on this thread. When you said you were selling cables I thought you had turned a hobby into a little enterprise. A couple of hundred quid would have raised no eyebrows for a cottage industry type product. But £1650 is a lot of money. You are implicitly suggesting that to get the best out of a Blu2 it is necessary to spend £1650. I don’t buy that. I doubt Chord Electronics buy that. It is not credible. You want to increase your credibility put up some numbers.

You are right about one thing though. This thread should be about the Blu2 and it belongs to Chord. You are a manufacturer of a different product, you should raise your own thread and support your customers there rather than trade somewhat parasitically on this thread.

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #3,694 of 4,904
Dear all, my Blu Mk2 arrived yesterday and I've been trying to setup a BluDave configuration. Are there some generic "rules" how to get the quality level of the CD playback on the BNC input? The best I managed to achive has been a SOtM combo plus 2x Mutec MC3+ all masterclocked by a Mutec REF10. All clock and signal cables are 1.3 m Oyaide BD-510 with lots of Würth ferrites on the signal path. However, the CD playback still delivers much better result than the network streaming (and happens to be the best I have ever heared). Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #3,695 of 4,904
Dear all, my Blu Mk2 arrived yesterday and I've been trying to setup a BluDave configuration. Are there some generic "rules" how to get the quality level of the CD playback on the BNC input? The best I managed to achive has been a SOtM combo plus 2x Mutec MC3+ all masterclocked by a Mutec REF10. All clock and signal cables are 1.3 m Oyaide BD-510 with lots of Würth ferrites on the signal path. However, the CD playback still delivers much better result than the network streaming (and happens to be be the best I have ever heared). Thanks.

I agree that as a CD Transport the Blu2 is an outstanding performer and provides the benchmark against which other sources should be judged. A number of people have reported this, and their efforts to improve file playback to meet that standard. There is of course, no consensus on how best to achieve such a result, because this is Hi-Fi.

My own concern is that improving file based or streaming playback can be a very expensive business, demoing the various combinations is not straightforward, and there is the risk that you could end up after a few years with a very expensive doorstop which has been replaced with something much better. The trials and tribulations of Roy (Romaz) are a good example of just how costly, and messy, it all can get, before a whole approach is junked in favour of something new. In my view, computer audio still has a long way to go.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #3,696 of 4,904
Are there some generic "rules" how to get the quality level of the CD playback on the BNC input? The best I managed to achive has been a SOtM combo plus 2x Mutec MC3+ all masterclocked by a Mutec REF10. All clock and signal cables are 1.3 m Oyaide BD-510 with lots of Würth ferrites on the signal path. However, the CD playback still delivers much better result than the network streaming (and happens to be be the best I have ever heared). Thanks.
The correct place for the ferrites is on the BNC cables between Blu 2 and DAVE. I'm not sure if that's how you are using the ferrites. The WAVE cables may be worth trying.

It may be worth adding Topnisus ferrites, as described in my signature, to the digital cable that you have plugged in to Blu 2. You are going to need 30+ of them, which should cost less than 30 Euros, to be sure that you've got enough filtering strength.

Has anyone got any of the inputs on Blu 2 to sound as good as CD replay?

Now playing: alt-J - Ms

Jul 10, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #3,697 of 4,904
I had a good post written up but the dumb forum ate it.

I even had con’ductivity ratings and percentages n schiit.

No need to spend big money, just buy a decent brand of cable, example.

Think hospital stuff, go find who supplies them and you will find great cable thats free from rfi, £20 and £5 for bag of chokes.

Could go big and buy silver cables, but why ?

Alot of folk waste alot of money on here and then try to convince themslves that they haven’t.

Not picking on any company as they are all at it, charging your eye teeth to get something that can be had for crazy cheap if they only opened their eyes.

Granted, an expensive cable might sound better than a schiit one, but not because the expensive one is worth it, its just because the cheap one they had was probably total crap and badly done.

Find a good brand of cable, thats all you have to do and it’s actually easier than you think.

A good quality RFI free cable doesn’t have to be the price of a mortgage, if done properly its a cable and I am 100000% convinced that Dude who bought a £2000 cable to get rid of RFI, could of done the same but for £20.

But when it comes to music, cheap things seem to be avoided because its cooler to pay more for less.

I will say it again, if need be, I will also do all in caps ?

Get a decent brand of cable, bag o chokes > golden.

It really doesn’t have to be expensive, but for some reason, the dearer it is, the better it is in the audio world, even when it’s not.

Ugly, good and cheap loses against stupid expensive, when stupid expensive is really only £2.50 but dressed upto to look like 99.9%.

I can understand it, done it myself, its just that people “want” to pay for expensive things even if it is not in their best interests.

Decent brand cable reel and chokes win’s everytime against stupid expensive.

Seriously, think, ugly, good and cheap can be and also look nice if you take your time.

< trust me on this, because I stuck a ground wire on my toilet radiator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 10, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #3,698 of 4,904
I had a good post written up but the dumb forum ate it.

I even had con’ductivity ratings and percentages n schiit.

No need to spend big money, just buy a decent brand of cable, example.

Think hospital stuff, go find who supplies them and you will find great cable thats free from rfi, £20 and £5 for bag of chokes.

Could go big and buy silver cables, but why ?

Alot of folk waste alot of money on here and then try to convince themslves that they haven’t.

Not picking on any company as they are all at it, charging your eye teeth to get something that can be had for crazy cheap if they only opened their eyes.

Granted, an expensive cable might sound better than a schiit one, but not because the expensive one is worth it, its just because the cheap one they had was probably total crap and badly done.

Find a good brand of cable, thats all you have to do and it’s actually easier than you think.

A good quality RFI free cable doesn’t have to be the price of a mortgage, if done properly its a cable and I am 100000% convinced that Dude who bought a £2000 cable to get rid of RFI, could of done the same but for £20.

But when it comes to music, cheap things seem to be avoided because its cooler to pay more for less.

I will say it again, if need be, I will also do all in caps ?

Get a decent brand of cable, bag o chokes > golden.

It really doesn’t have to be expensive, but for some reason, the dearer it is, the better it is in the audio world, even when it’s not.

Ugly, good and cheap loses against stupid expensive, when stupid expensive is really only £2.50 but dressed upto to look like 99.9%.

I can understand it, done it myself, its just that people “want” to pay for expensive things even if it is not in their best interests.

Decent brand cable reel and chokes win’s everytime against stupid expensive.

Seriously, think, ugly, good and cheap can be and also look nice if you take your time.

Great advice, it can be done a lot cheaper and just as good. If you been in this hobby awhile these are the things you learn.

Jul 10, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #3,699 of 4,904
Great advice, it can be done a lot cheaper and just as good. If you been in this hobby awhile these are the things you learn.

Been doing this hobby for, lemme see.

15 days and 2 hours 12 minutes

Jul 10, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #3,700 of 4,904
AndrewOld,

Value for money is never in true in Hi-Fi products. Hi-Fi equipments are not mass products. A lot of common people buy a $200 CD player and it is very hard for you to ask them to buy Blu2/Dave to justify the increase in performance. Value of money is subjective. Luckily, Hi-Fi equipments are not essential products. One can live without them. We all know that Hi-Fi cable manufacturers have the biggest margin. More than Hi-Fi equipment manufacturers. Siltech, MIT , Crystal, Transparent, Nordost, ...etc. Their cables prices are even more than Blu2/Dave. And they never publish any technical measurements. You are being unreasonable to ask Nick to justify value money for you. If you want to attack cable manufactures, go for the big guys.

I have bought Nick’s Wave BNC cables for my Blu2/Dave. I found they are fantastic. Better than all my expensive BNC cables as well as cheap BNC cable loaded with ferrites. They are well made. At the same time, I never believe the cost is half of listed price. Do I feel that it is not value for money? Actually, it is opposite. It is value of money. It is because his cables are cheaper than alternatives and his cables address the RFI problems which I can never do with other alternatives.

No one in this forum asking you to question Nick on value of money. As mentioned, all audiophiles know that the listed price is much more than the cost of manufacturing.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #3,702 of 4,904
The correct place for the ferrites is on the BNC cables between Blu 2 and DAVE. I'm not sure if that's how you are using the ferrites. The WAVE cables may be worth trying.

It may be worth adding Topnisus ferrites, as described in my signature, to the digital cable that you have plugged in to Blu 2. You are going to need 30+ of them, which should cost less than 30 Euros, to be sure that you've got enough filtering strength.

Has anyone got any of the inputs on Blu 2 to sound as good as CD replay?

Now playing: alt-J - Ms

My chain which is Aries w/ SBooster LPS => Tellurium Q Black USB => ISO Regen w/LPS 1.2 => Blu2 => Amphenol RF BNC w/FairRite ferrites => Dave easily sounds BETTER than CD.
USB is not supposed to better than the CD, and I have no idea why it's better, but I don't think my ears are lying. YMMV

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #3,704 of 4,904
It would be nice if the equipment manufacturers included the cables, bought in bulk to get better price, then everyone gets something/what they want.

The cottage industry in lightweight hiking gear seems crazy expensive - similarly, but we are in a very small niche in both cases.

It would be interesting if a law was passed that meant the cost of the item had to be displayed beside the price of the item.

But I support this new startup businesses pricing strategy, it saves money for those who want it, and creates more competition in the marketplace.

Jul 11, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #3,705 of 4,904

I for one want the best possible SQ for the LOWEST possible price.
And I am always interested to get to know ways to get exactly that.
As far as DAVE/BLU2 are concerned I am aware of some of their capabilites ,but I have also encountered some problems the times I have auditioned them. Although I forgot to ask what cables Rob was using with DAVE/BLU2 at Canjam in Singapore I do remember that they were completely packed with ferrite chokes.
And if basically any cheap cable can perform as well as some of the super expensive ones just by adding chokes the better for users imho.
Now whether that is a fact or not I don't really know.
My humble Qutest via optical and two different cd players for example, does sound not as I expected identical, but different indeed although Qutest is supposed to handle the data once delivered?
And my three different rca connections between dac and amps all deliver a different end result.
In my case it is maybe unfortunate. But the most expensive one also sounds best to my ears and in my system.
There seem to be so many unkown factors at work with digital in general that I often seek solace in analogue while waiting for the best DAVE/BLU2 SQ to come without problems like RF and whatever and at much better prices than these early days of 1 M taps tech via bnc seem to deliver consistently judging by all the discussions still going on here.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back