Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 11, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #3,721 of 4,904
Definitely not gone AWOL!

And I am not retained by Chord at all; I give Chord a complete electronic design, they build it, I get a royalty on each unit sold. There are no design fees. I happily work on a project, as I want the product itself, and don't see any financial return for a long time - sometimes decades. There isn't even a contract between us - it's based on friendship and 23 years of working together with John...

Sometimes it's much more appropriate to bite one's tongue and let other users comment, particularly with comments like Blu2 is flawed.

Is Dave perfect? No. Is Blu2 perfect? No. But a BluDave is fundamentally more perfect than any other DAC product available at any price today - by IMO a huge amount - and I can back that statement up with the technical info I disclose, the measurements I publish, and the comments of users on the sound quality - let alone the huge number of awards and reviews that have been given.

Indeed, I got some flak from Chord about talking of ferrites at all; I ignored it. I am not in the business of trying to tell a story that my designs are perfect; all I care about is getting the absolute maximum musical pleasure I can; and that's why I talked about the importance of ferrites with Blu2; my thinking is that somebody with £8000 to spend on a source would be intelligent enough to appreciate that talking about how to get the best out of a device would not be taken as a negative thing in exposing a sensitivity. Remember also that it's merely the icing on the cake; an M scaler makes such a huge difference to the overall musical performance - I for one could not live without one, ferrites or not.

I wasn’t meaning in any way to criticise the Blu2. There’s not been a product in history that couldn’t be improved in some small way after it had gone into production, With the DAVE it was adding the Audioquest thingy for a few quid that solved a residual issue with galvanic isolation. With the Blu2 it was the need for ferrites to solve a residual issue with RF. Your honesty and openness about these things is fantastic. But all I would expect is for you to say straight which ferrites to use, because you can’t expect us dim users to have the necessary knowledge to pick the ideal ones. Now things have spiralled into a situation where some people are forking out £1650 to address this issue, so they believe, and that cannot be right. Anyhow, I’m looking forward to the stand-alone M Scaler to go with my wonderful DAVE. And if ferrites can squeeze a little extra out of it, I trust you will tell us which ones to use. (Of course, they may not be beneficial ... time will tell I guess!)

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #3,723 of 4,904
So should I buy a jitterbug for hugo 2 or not!
Buy from Amazon. If you don't think it's worth it, send it back. If you think it's worth it, buy a second.

Does optical into your Hugo 2 sound better than USB? If not, then the Jitterbug is probably not worth the effort.

A friend's Hugo 2 was improved by 20x 5mm Topnisus ferrites and 1m Tripp Lite cable (see my signature for links to similar). Since his Hugo 2 is connected between PC and integrated amp, this is a situation that tends to cause mains earth loops, which enables RF to cause SQ problems.

In my system 20+ ferrites are a far bigger upgrade than 2x Jitterbugs and vastly cheaper.

Jul 11, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #3,724 of 4,904
Buy from Amazon. If you don't think it's worth it, send it back. If you think it's worth it, buy a second.

Does optical into your Hugo 2 sound better than USB? If not, then the Jitterbug is probably not worth the effort.

A friend's Hugo 2 was improved by 20x 5mm Topnisus ferrites and 1m Tripp Lite cable (see my signature for links to similar). Since his Hugo 2 is connected between PC and integrated amp, this is a situation that tends to cause mains earth loops, which enables RF to cause SQ problems.

In my system 20+ ferrites are a far bigger upgrade than 2x Jitterbugs and vastly cheaper.
Ordered- thank you

Jul 12, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #3,725 of 4,904
Since the really nasty RF stuff is from the FPGA, and around 2GHz, where the galvanic isolation is less effective,
I decided to play around with some ferrites but am afraid I may have ordered the wrong frequency. Somewhere on this thread someone recommended clamp on cores from Fair-Rite with the following measurements. - 61Material 332Ohm @250MHz

I do not know how "Ohm" factor in, but 250MHz = .25GHz. Should I really be looking for ferrites that are focused 8 X higher (.25 x 8 = 2GHz)?

Seeking consensus on this thread is laughable, but a few recommendations for ferrites that have worked for others would be much appreciated. Searching for "ferrite" will likely yield 249 pages of results at this point on this thread.

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #3,726 of 4,904
I decided to play around with some ferrites but am afraid I may have ordered the wrong frequency. Somewhere on this thread someone recommended clamp on cores from Fair-Rite with the following measurements. - 61Material 332Ohm @250MHz

I do not know how "Ohm" factor in, but 250MHz = .25GHz. Should I really be looking for ferrites that are focused 8 X higher (.25 x 8 = 2GHz)?

Seeking consensus on this thread is laughable, but a few recommendations for ferrites that have worked for others would be much appreciated. Searching for "ferrite" will likely yield 249 pages of results at this point on this thread.

61 material is High Frequency so I that should be thereabouts. They normally quote the impedence for a lower frequency but the main thing is to get 'High Frequency' ones and I think you have probably done that with the 61 material. Have you tried them?

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #3,727 of 4,904

Depending on thickness of bnc cable, either of these two from Wurth (don’t forget to also order a key or two to open them with) - http://uk.farnell.com/c/passive-com...s?brand=wurth-elektronik&frequency-max=2.5ghz

I have no experience of the Fair-rite options but the 12.7mm sleeve from this selection has been recommended by other posters on this thread and I assume the other diameters are just as effective - http://uk.farnell.com/c/passive-com...e-ferrites?brand=fair-rite&frequency-max=1ghz

The Fair-rite specs are confusing as they state 1GHz as the main target area. But I am reassured by others that the 12.7mm ones are just as, if not even more effective than the equivalent Wurth ferrites. I have seventeen Wurth ferrites on each cable and they have made a big and positive difference to my system. I am no longer aware of any glare.

Whichever one you choose, I suggest buying sixteen first (eight for each cable) to see what impact they have. You can then buy some more if you like what you hear.

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #3,728 of 4,904
61 material is High Frequency so I that should be thereabouts. They normally quote the impedence for a lower frequency but the main thing is to get 'High Frequency' ones and I think you have probably done that with the 61 material. Have you tried them?
I have.... 25 per cable..... It all sounds amazing, but it sounded amazing before this too. Since I was not trying to correct a problem I had personally identified I plan to listen with the ferrites for a few days and then switch to the base cables provided by Chord. I think I'll likely recognize their absence more than their presence on day one. I'm currently using Amphenol RF BNC cables which apparently perform well above their price point.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...V2QqPusq4bQ==&countrycode=US&currencycode=USD

upload_2018-7-12_15-38-52.png

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #3,729 of 4,904
Depending on thickness of bnc cable, either of these two from Wurth (don’t forget to also order a key or two to open them with) - http://uk.farnell.com/c/passive-com...s?brand=wurth-elektronik&frequency-max=2.5ghz

I have no experience of the Fair-rite options but the 12.7mm sleeve from this selection has been recommended by other posters on this thread and I assume the other diameters are just as effective - http://uk.farnell.com/c/passive-com...e-ferrites?brand=fair-rite&frequency-max=1ghz

The Fair-rite specs are confusing as they state 1GHz as the main target area. But I am reassured by others that the 12.7mm ones are just as, if not even more effective than the equivalent Wurth ferrites. I have seventeen Wurth ferrites on each cable and they have made a big and positive difference to my system. I am no longer aware of any glare.

Whichever one you choose, I suggest buying sixteen first (eight for each cable) to see what impact they have. You can then buy some more if you like what you hear.
Thank you. These are all inexpensive enough to try a few options. Appreciate the feedback.

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #3,730 of 4,904
Thank you. These are all inexpensive enough to try a few options. Appreciate the feedback.
Actually, just realised after checking that I do have a few of the Fair-rites on my cables, but the majority are Wurth. I might be getting the best of both worlds.

Probably also worth mentioning that the Fair-rites are easier to use in not needing a key to open. Another difference is that the Fair-rites are round, while the Wurths are square.

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #3,731 of 4,904
I have.... 25 per cable..... It all sounds amazing, but it sounded amazing before this too. Since I was not trying to correct a problem I had personally identified I plan to listen with the ferrites for a few days and then switch to the base cables provided by Chord. I think I'll likely recognize their absence more than their presence on day one. I'm currently using Amphenol RF BNC cables which apparently perform well above their price point.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/amphenol/095-850-187m100/?qs=5aG0NVq1C4xV2QqPusq4bQ==&countrycode=US&currencycode=USD

How are you controlling for expectation bias? Why not have a friend help, do multiple blind listening tests and see. You are already saying it sounded amazing before, yet you say that you think you'll probably hear the difference without them. That suggests a strong bias to hear an improvement so given that how can you be confident that you are hearing some difference versus hearing what you expect to hear? I know this is a sound science type of post so feel free to ignore it, but I would implore you to be scientifically curious and get a friend to help you do multiple trial blind listening tests. If after say 10 trials you can pick out the differences at around 90%-95% accuracy you will know that it is money well spent. I actually am truly curious and I do not presume to say whether these make a difference or not, but because I know sighted listening tests completly skew results even though I would want to get excited and try these if you found a difference, if you found it sighted I just couldn't trust it. Given how easy it would be to do multiple trial, blind listening tests with a friend helping, I wonder why people don't.

Again, my apology to any who find a sound science forum like post her offensive and if it does indeed offend people I'll happily delete it.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #3,732 of 4,904
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/amphenol/095-850-187m100/?qs=5aG0NVq1C4xV2QqPusq4bQ==&countrycode=US&currencycode=USD

excellent photo

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #3,733 of 4,904
How are you controlling for expectation bias? Why not have a friend help, do multiple blind listening tests and see. You are already saying it sounded amazing before, yet you say that you think you'll probably hear the difference without them. That suggests a strong bias to hear an improvement so given that how can you be confident that you are hearing some difference versus hearing what you expect to hear? I know this is a sound science type of post so feel free to ignore it, but I would implore you to be scientifically curious and get a friend to help you do multiple trial blind listening tests. If after say 10 trials you can pick out the differences at around 90%-95% accuracy you will know that it is money well spent. I actually am truly curious and I do not presume to say whether these make a difference or not, but because I know sighted listening tests completly skew results even though I would want to get excited and try these if you found a difference, if you found it sighted I just couldn't trust it. Given how easy it would be to do multiple trial, blind listening tests with a friend helping, I wonder why people don't.

Again, my apology to any who find a sound science forum like post her offensive and if it does indeed offend people I'll happily delete it.
I get your point and could take that stance, but that would take the fun out of it for me. I'd rather focus on the art, not the science of all of that. If it ends up sounding "better" to me because of my own bias then I'll remain happily fooled. That said, on the digital side it generally is easier for me to honestly notice an improvement when the new element is later removed. One of those, you don't know what you've got until it's gone things".... I do think that for me, that helps remove some of the bias since I'm basing my view on an overall experience and not the initial planned results. Nearly all of my upgrades do sound better during the honeymoon phase. Much of that can be attributed to expectation bias but I do feel changes on the digital side do continue to build upon themselves. The only night and day difference upgrade on the digital side I have experienced (aside from major components) was the addition of the UpTone ISO Regen. Fantastic value for money in my system when paired w/ their LPS 1.2.

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #3,734 of 4,904
I get your point and could take that stance, but that would take the fun out of it for me. I'd rather focus on the art, not the science of all of that. If it ends up sounding "better" to me because of my own bias then I'll remain happily fooled. That said, on the digital side it generally is easier for me to honestly notice an improvement when the new element is later removed. One of those, you don't know what you've got until it's gone things".... I do think that for me, that helps remove some of the bias since I'm basing my view on an overall experience and not the initial planned results. Nearly all of my upgrades do sound better during the honeymoon phase. Much of that can be attributed to expectation bias but I do feel changes on the digital side do continue to build upon themselves. The only night and day difference upgrade on the digital side I have experienced (aside from major components) was the addition of the UpTone ISO Regen. Fantastic value for money in my system when paired w/ their LPS 1.2.
Fair enough, and dignified. It is fine to say even if I'm fooling myself, it makes me happy and I'm willing to just enjoy the process and not try to determine if perceived changes are real or placebo. That is fine, absolutely I agree, fun is important and trying to take fun away is just mean-spirited. For the record, even if an effect is actually placebo, in our brain, placebo is probably indistinguishable from a non-placebo effect meaning that a placebo effect can be just as powerful. That was a good answer on your part, you didn't just start getting your back up and insisted you were correct, you kept an open mind and admitted you might be hearing something due to expectation bias. It takes guts to be so honest and it is refreshing for sure. Cheers.

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #3,735 of 4,904
Have sound science people tried ferrites?

If not, for less than $30 it's possible to get two Tripp Lite 1m USB cables and 20 Topnisus ferrites to put on one cable. The USB cable not being listened to should be disconnected at both ends to ensure it has no electrical influence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back