Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
May 11, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #3,467 of 4,904
Blu2 is an upsampling cd transport. The only sustainable demand for it is from people who play cds and have a DAVE. I don’t think demand for it is high at all, because very few people want an £8.5k cd transport, and the ones that do want it have bought it already. Nobody is switching to cds. The Blu2 will be being made in small quantities on a long lead time. There are M Scaler inputs on the Hugo2, Qutest and Hugo2TT. Virtually no one with any of these products has the money for an £8.5k upsampling cd transport. So, if a sensibly priced M Scaler had been announced at Munich Blu2 sales would be hardly affected, because imo they are already negligible. Most of the people who are going to buy one have done so. Of those, the ones that play cds should be quite content. But whoever pressured Chord to put a USB input on the Blu2 just so they could use it from a laptop has only themselves to blame if a stand-alone M Scaler comes out. They should have pressured Chord to release a stand alone M Scaler in the first place, rather than (somewhat hastily) add a USB input. Chord could have easily done so.

Blu2 was developed with MScaler and RW was so stunned by the performance of the MScaler that it was then decided to put on the usb input. No pressure. No people pressuring what happened.

What has been announced this weekend merely demonstrates a company working towards a range which works together as a whole. Of course they would not release a dac that would undermine Dave but equally they have released a game changing TT2. So do not expect a stand alone MScaler that undermines Blu2 in the market place. At the moment chord can still sell all the Blu2 they can make.

It has been rumoured that an MScaler might be in a TT box type package. That would make sense. It would sit nicely in the range and would sit below Blu2 but above H2.

I say again. Only Chord knew about MScaler and so only they could take decisions about what to do with it. No one else outside Chord knew so could not exert any pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 11, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #3,468 of 4,904
Blu2 was developed with MScaler and RW was so stunned by the performance of the MScaler that it was then decided to put on the usb input. No pressure. No people pressuring what happened.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831343/page-225#post-14222077

Well my dear chap Rob and I have had a few chats about this issue since The Ces Launch and together with Matt back at Chord we think we have a good solution we are scrapping the current boards still in manufacture and Rob has been designing a new main circuit board that will be going for express manufacture in the U.K. So we won't loose any time. The new board has the additional High Speed USB input circuitry you are all wanting. Yes we admit we got it wrong to omit the USB on the design as was. However we are pleased that we can announce that all production units will now come with USB input too.

May 11, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #3,469 of 4,904
I have done some more comparisons of CDs and rips of the CDs played via both Aries and the Aries G2. It is very interesting. With the Aries Femto, there is an obvious difference between the rip and playing the CD. The first impression is that it is less dynamic range which of course is impossible, but another way to describe it is thinner, which I think gives the impression of reduced dynamic range. With the Aries G2 which has galvanic isolation on the USB output, the gap is really closed between CD and USB. I still give a slight nod to CD, but I am going back and forth to hear the difference. This is with a Vertere Double D USB cable, and Canare 75ohm cables with Neutrik BNC connectors. There are just 2 ferrites at the DAVE end of the BNC cables.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #3,470 of 4,904

What has been announced this weekend merely demonstrates a company working towards a range which works together as a whole. Of course they would not release a dac that would undermine Dave but equally they have released a game changing TT2. So do not expect a stand alone MScaler that undermines Blu2 in the market place. At the moment chord can still sell all the Blu2 they can make.

It has been rumoured that an MScaler might be in a TT box type package. That would make sense. It would sit nicely in the range and would sit below Blu2 but above H2.

I say again. Only Chord knew about MScaler and so only they could take decisions about what to do with it. No one else outside Chord knew so could not exert any pressure.

Rob actually said:

So why was the Blu the first product to have an M scaler? It's because Chord still make the Blu (it's very popular in China) and it absolutely needed to be upgraded ASAP as Dave had a longer tap length than Blu 1. So although only a very limited number are currently sold, I felt obligated to do it - and the design effort would be used with Davina, and I gave it a BNC input so I could actually use it myself. Indeed, I am listening at the moment in my hotel room with a blu PCB and my Dave. So now I have to drag two units around with me on my travels....

Rob

So, Chord needed to get a new cd transport out. The M Scaler had already been designed as part of the Davina project. The M Scaler got stuck into the ”absolutely needed” Blu2. As that would have been of no use to Rob, as he doesn’t use cds, he added a BNC input to allow him to use the M Scaler aspect. As soon as the Blu2 was released there was big pressure for Chord to release the MScaler in a form that made sense to people who don’t use cds. Read this thread from the beginning if you have forgotten. After much prevaricating, Franks agreed as a compromise to add a USB input. I am sure Rob would prefer to lug around a lighter, smaller, M Scaler. And I am sure loads of us would like to own such a thing. And with a bit of luck, we soon will.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 11, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #3,471 of 4,904
Rob actually said:

So, Chord needed to get a new cd transport out. The M Scaler had already been designed as part of the Davina project. The M Scaler got stuck into the ”absolutely needed” Blu2. As that would have been of no use to Rob, as he doesn’t use cds, he added a BNC input to allow him to use the M Scaler aspect. As soon as the Blu2 was released there was big pressure for Chord to release the MScaler in a form that made sense to people who don’t use cds. Read this thread from the beginning if you have forgotten. After much prevaricating, Franks agreed as a compromise to add a USB input. I am sure Rob would prefer to lug around a lighter, smaller, M Scaler. And I am sure loads of us would like to own such a thing. And with a bit of luck, we soon will.

It was a while ago now, but that is my recollection. The m-scaler got put into the Blu 2 very late in the day, possibly to boost sales of something that would not have sold much outside the Far East, and the USB input came even later, I think after the initial circuit boards had been started. Of course, none of that affects what will happen in the future and I wonder how much benefit there is in imagining some parallel universe in which Chord did things differently. The only moral I would draw is beware of cutting-edge technology. There are exceptions (the Dave) but you can never be sure.

May 11, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #3,472 of 4,904
May 15, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #3,475 of 4,904
I waited a few weeks before any significant changes to my blu2/Dave combo. Today I swapped my amazon bnc cords
with wireworld gold starlight 7’s. To put it lightly, I am very pleased. Not a subtle improvement on all fronts (insert all of the commonly used superlatives here). I’m glad I waited a number of weeks before making any changes as I was already smitten by the leap in sq over my Berkeley, but this upgrade was $ well spent.

May 15, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #3,480 of 4,904
So I have used 3 aftermarket usb cables with the blu2: chord shawline, clearer audio and wireworld strarlight 7.

Besides all the digital is digital, bits are bits and ferrite yada yada....

Chord shawline is the darkest, bordering on boring.
Clearer audio was really bright, causing fatigue.
Wireworld Starlight 7 is somewhere in between and imo the most enjoyable of the 3. It is also closest to the cd playback

Users who are viewing this thread

Back