Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
May 10, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #3,451 of 4,904
If chord released a standalone mscaler rather than the blu2 in the first place but at the same price, enthusiast will still gobble it up.

It's just now with the cd mech appearing as an obsolete sore thumb for many that they are going about for a more affordable mscaler, but I have strong doubts about the affordable portion.

Then why make the lower end Chord DAC's capable to accommodate such an add on? Hopefully not in the perspective that these buyers would be willing to buy an add on at 4 to 5 times the cost of their new DAC?

May 10, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #3,452 of 4,904
It seems that the connections between Blu and Dave are extremely sensitive, I don't think the cables are at fault

If it's blinking on dave that it's toggling between BNC and D BNC, likely the connection is stable. I had unstable connection with the stock cables regardless of 1/2 or 3/4 and the display would toggle frequently between the 2.

What's your source? My source is a PC with JRiver using max buffer, and I do get drops if the CPU utilization is too high or there's a large amount of memory swapping due to whichever heavy app I'm using at the time. But besides that, it's stable if the PC is not heavily utilized.

May 11, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #3,455 of 4,904
As an experiment: disconnect the USB from Blu 2 and then see if you can get CD replay to work through the dual BNC inputs 1/2 on DAVE. If that works that's a clear indication of RF problems caused by the USB connection and 30 or 40 Topnisus ferrites should work (see my signature).

There's a lot of reading for you to do on the subject of ferrites to filter RF noise, I'm afraid. Since August last year in this thread and the DAVE thread.

If you hate the idea of ferrites on the USB cable, the Wire World USB cable that @minibox is using seems like a good starting point.

Now playing: Fiora, Robot Koch - Let it Go By

Playing CDs is faultless, it's just when using USB input (via AQ Diamond), maybe I'll try some ferrites if I become irritated enough

May 11, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #3,456 of 4,904
Did you try 1/2?

Sure, they were the first connections I used after receiving the BLU... Dave does not recognize dual input at all, just single coax in on BNC1. I then swapped to BNC 3/4, these work OK and were problem free for a month or so before I started getting drop-outs. Maybe the drop-out problem is USB or Mac related?? but the complete failure of BNC 1/2 to work in dual mode is concerning

May 11, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #3,457 of 4,904
If it's blinking on dave that it's toggling between BNC and D BNC, likely the connection is stable. I had unstable connection with the stock cables regardless of 1/2 or 3/4 and the display would toggle frequently between the 2.

What's your source? My source is a PC with JRiver using max buffer, and I do get drops if the CPU utilization is too high or there's a large amount of memory swapping due to whichever heavy app I'm using at the time. But besides that, it's stable if the PC is not heavily utilized.

Using a 2015 MacBook Pro with Audirvana+, I don't run any other applications in parallel when listening. Using BNC 3/4 the display always shows D BNC.

May 11, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #3,459 of 4,904
Then why make the lower end Chord DAC's capable to accommodate such an add on? Hopefully not in the perspective that these buyers would be willing to buy an add on at 4 to 5 times the cost of their new DAC?
Wouldnt demand for the BluII crater if yesterday's news from Munich included an mScaler? Thinking it was more of a business decision to keep Blu2 - and cd transport -in high demand throughout '18

May 11, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #3,460 of 4,904
Sure, they were the first connections I used after receiving the BLU... Dave does not recognize dual input at all, just single coax in on BNC1. I then swapped to BNC 3/4, these work OK and were problem free for a month or so before I started getting drop-outs. Maybe the drop-out problem is USB or Mac related?? but the complete failure of BNC 1/2 to work in dual mode is concerning
No matter the input I get dual data I’m assuming you have the red dual data led on Blu2 illuminated?

May 11, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #3,461 of 4,904
Wouldnt demand for the BluII crater if yesterday's news from Munich included an mScaler? Thinking it was more of a business decision to keep Blu2 - and cd transport -in high demand throughout '18

Blu2 is an upsampling cd transport. The only sustainable demand for it is from people who play cds and have a DAVE. I don’t think demand for it is high at all, because very few people want an £8.5k cd transport, and the ones that do want it have bought it already. Nobody is switching to cds. The Blu2 will be being made in small quantities on a long lead time. There are M Scaler inputs on the Hugo2, Qutest and Hugo2TT. Virtually no one with any of these products has the money for an £8.5k upsampling cd transport. So, if a sensibly priced M Scaler had been announced at Munich Blu2 sales would be hardly affected, because imo they are already negligible. Most of the people who are going to buy one have done so. Of those, the ones that play cds should be quite content. But whoever pressured Chord to put a USB input on the Blu2 just so they could use it from a laptop has only themselves to blame if a stand-alone M Scaler comes out. They should have pressured Chord to release a stand alone M Scaler in the first place, rather than (somewhat hastily) add a USB input. Chord could have easily done so.

May 11, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #3,462 of 4,904
Blu2 is an upsampling cd transport. The only sustainable demand for it is from people who play cds and have a DAVE. I don’t think demand for it is high at all, because very few people want an £8.5k cd transport, and the ones that do want it have bought it already. Nobody is switching to cds. The Blu2 will be being made in small quantities on a long lead time. There are M Scaler inputs on the Hugo2, Qutest and Hugo2TT. Virtually no one with any of these products has the money for an £8.5k upsampling cd transport. So, if a sensibly priced M Scaler had been announced at Munich Blu2 sales would be hardly affected, because imo they are already negligible. Most of the people who are going to buy one have done so. Of those, the ones that play cds should be quite content. But whoever pressured Chord to put a USB input on the Blu2 just so they could use it from a laptop has only themselves to blame if a stand-alone M Scaler comes out. They should have pressured Chord to release a stand alone M Scaler in the first place, rather than (somewhat hastily) add a USB input. Chord could have easily done so.

The problem is, nobody at Chord listens to my views on their product development. Outrageous, but true. :beyersmile:

May 11, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #3,463 of 4,904

Correct, the only access to the Mscaler is Blu2, take it or leave it. All new products are gearing up for a Mscaler so it will happen sometime as disclosed by Rob earlier. It's the wait that's killing me.

I have a demo booked for the Direct Stream to compare against Dave.

Oh before you read on I do not do small differences in SQ, time and money too short for any of that humcumbunckam...!

My short time with Blu2 was outstanding with Chord Sarum T BNC, so will I keep the Dave and wait for the Mscaler or sell ....?..... "Not Sure"......?

The CA cables, only burnt in for 48 hrs did not fair so well but in fairness to CA, Darren (outstanding customer service) offered to send a pair fully burnt in (at a later date as my time with the demo Blu2 was very limited), the pair tested (1mtr) vs Chord Sarum T (2mts) so not like for like.... but me the Chord Sarum T doubled the SQ of Blu2 YMMV.

No A - B needed it was like a sledge hammer hitting me in the face the difference was that much, wife did a quick listen within 30 seconds wanted the Chord Sarum T it was that different and quick, I told her the price, 4 K, she looked at me and said OK buy them, at the same time said the price was insane.

I also compared the https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/amphenol-rf-division/095-850-187M100/ARF2684-ND/7361080 with https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/wurth-electronics-inc/74271622S/732-1513-ND/1638917 came third.

USB cables do not underestimate, same again SarumT or Chord Music I have both, price wise go for the Sarum T "BARGAIN"

The Sarum T does something if you have noise, I have noticed as I cut down the noise the cables have less effect, for example on a PC the Chord Music USB your get your full value but not so much on a Melco Z with a SOtM as the source which has less noise. Same again for the Chord SarumT again YMMV.

I am left some what deflated by the recent Chord unveiling at Munich (understatement) hence the planned demo with Direct Stream.

Sorry for the short review

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #3,464 of 4,904
Correct, the only access to the Mscaler is Blu2, take it or leave it. All new products are gearing up for a Mscaler so it will happen sometime as disclosed by Rob earlier. It's the wait that's killing me.

I have a demo booked for the Direct Stream to compare against Dave.

Oh before you read on I do not do small differences in SQ, time and money too short for any of that humcumbunckam...!

My short time with Blu2 was outstanding with Chord Sarum T BNC, so will I keep the Dave and wait for the Mscaler or sell ....?..... "Not Sure"......?

The CA cables, only burnt in for 48 hrs did not fair so well but in fairness to CA, Darren (outstanding customer service) offered to send a pair fully burnt in (at a later date as my time with the demo Blu2 was very limited), the pair tested (1mtr) vs Chord Sarum T (2mts) so not like for like.... but me the Chord Sarum T doubled the SQ of Blu2 YMMV.

No A - B needed it was like a sledge hammer hitting me in the face the difference was that much, wife did a quick listen within 30 seconds wanted the Chord Sarum T it was that different and quick, I told her the price, 4 K, she looked at me and said OK buy them, at the same time said the price was insane.

I also compared the https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/amphenol-rf-division/095-850-187M100/ARF2684-ND/7361080 with https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/wurth-electronics-inc/74271622S/732-1513-ND/1638917 came third.

USB cables do not underestimate, same again SarumT or Chord Music I have both, price wise go for the Sarum T "BARGAIN"

The Sarum T does something if you have noise, I have noticed as I cut down the noise the cables have less effect, for example on a PC the Chord Music USB your get your full value but not so much on a Melco Z with a SOtM as the source which has less noise. Same again for the Chord SarumT again YMMV.

I am left some what deflated by the recent Chord unveiling at Munich (understatement) hence the planned demo with Direct Stream.

Sorry for the short review

Where did you find your wife, and are there any more like her?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back