Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Nov 26, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #1,711 of 1,746
I would like to add a little of my experience with 2Qute. I bought it second-handed more than a year ago. I was thinking about some nice DAC and there was RME-ADI2 on sight. Then I found a quite nice offer online and I decided to try. If I will not like it, I will sell it. But, here we are. After more than year I am not even thinking about DAC upgrade. It sounds just amazing. I had quite a turbulent year in head-fi and I changed almost everything in my rig, but 2Qute is still with me. With no plans to go anywhere. It sounds amazing! This piece of equipment holds me in single ended audio. I actually think, that if single ended is built on top level, there is no need to go balanced. 2Qute is extremely detailed with great separation and what amazes me most is, that otherwise it is technically very good, it is not dry or boring. This is joy to listen to. It is fun. It is addicting. Keeping that crazy amount of technical qualities. I really liked R2R dacs for their fun factor, but 2Qute is on another level. Comparing other DAC`s which I tried, it is like there is a plenty of good cola drinks. Some are delightful, but light because of sweeteners. You can enjoy them, but then, you will taste the 2Qute which is like the original sweet Cola with that full taste, perfect temperature, with right amount of sparkling. With original sugar! Just right. So tasty, delightfull! And then, try to imagine, you add tubes. Here we are - Perfect Cherry Cola! Addicting!

I have also one scary story. I was experimenting with cheap amps and I bought JDS Atom. Unfortunately, I plugged Atom power source into 2Qute and it died immediately with a smoke coming from inside the 2Qute. I was like, I killed it. But, I wrote an email to Chord customer service, they gave me instructions, I packed it and sent to them. They proceed with all the medicine and it was not killed, just some diode was dead. Changed, repaired. And for not a huge amount of money. And it arrives to me and it makes me happy again. This is extremely nice piece of gear. It`s pure joy!

I love it! I know, if I will buy sometimes another DAC in future, it will be Chord!
Glad you are enjoying your 2Qute.
This dac was also popular on the Naim forum. Owners often replaced their Naim dacs with a 2Qute, and used it as the input source for their Naim amplifiers or systems.

Nov 26, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #1,712 of 1,746
It's nice to come across happy people.

Dec 6, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #1,713 of 1,746
What malenak said. Amongst all the uncertainties and doubts in my life, changing my DAC isn't even up for discussion. Not sure about the cola analogy but thumbs up for 'you add tubes'! Imagine how good a Dave/Blu MkII is. Frightening.

Dec 6, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #1,714 of 1,746
What malenak said. Amongst all the uncertainties and doubts in my life, changing my DAC isn't even up for discussion. Not sure about the cola analogy but thumbs up for 'you add tubes'! Imagine how good a Dave/Blu MkII is. Frightening.
Ouch! Don`t tell me anything good about Dave! It can be dangerous! For my wallet! :D

Dec 7, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #1,715 of 1,746
Tread carefully.....:money_mouth:

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #1,716 of 1,746
hi guys, I accidentally plugged in the power chord of my amp (Drop THX789) into my 2Qute and now it doesn't turn on at all.
What can I do to fix it? Have you guys heard of anybody else doing this? Is there anybody on the forums that does repairs such as this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #1,717 of 1,746
I have also one scary story. I was experimenting with cheap amps and I bought JDS Atom. Unfortunately, I plugged Atom power source into 2Qute and it died immediately with a smoke coming from inside the 2Qute. I was like, I killed it. But, I wrote an email to Chord customer service, they gave me instructions, I packed it and sent to them. They proceed with all the medicine and it was not killed, just some diode was dead. Changed, repaired. And for not a huge amount of money. And it arrives to me and it makes me happy again. This is extremely nice piece of gear. It`s pure joy!
hi guys, I accidentally plugged in the power chord of my amp (Drop THX789) into my 2Qute and now it doesn't turn on at all.
What can I do to fix it? Have you guys heard of anybody else doing this? Is there anybody on the forums that does repairs such as this?

Serious question, what are you guys thinking when you're using a totally different power supply with different voltage rating on a device as expensive as chord ???

The THX is 12 volt, more than twice what qutest needs. The Atom is 16 volt DC, not even AC!!!

Please consider these things before trying this seemingly very random stuff guys. I really don't understand.....

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,718 of 1,746
Serious question, what are you guys thinking when you're using a totally different power supply with different voltage rating on a device as expensive as chord ???

The THX is 12 volt, more than twice what qutest needs. The Atom is 16 volt DC, not even AC!!!

Please consider these things before trying this seemingly very random stuff guys. I really don't understand.....
Haha, it was literally an accident. I wasn't trying to get more out of my dac by plugging in random power bricks.:face_palm:

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #1,721 of 1,746

Yes a 24v PSU will destroy the protect diode.
Its D4 a BZV55C15 zener diode. If you have a local service guy it's easy to replace. Make sure you solder it in the correct way round.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #1,722 of 1,746
Yes a 24v PSU will destroy the protect diode.
Its D4 a BZV55C15 zener diode. If you have a local service guy it's easy to replace. Make sure you solder it in the correct way round.
Thank you so much for the info, this should make things much easier, faster and cheaper if I can find here locally. Again, thank you, much appreciated!

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #1,723 of 1,746

You know what? We are people. And nobody is infallible? No one is always 100% correct in everything what he is doing. And crap happens sometimes. What else to say. I paid for my mistake, let it be the lesson for others. :)

Mar 31, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #1,725 of 1,746
So i bought a 2qute. I have seen this question many times but unanswered: is it better when i turn off my power strip when i don't use it or should it be constantly on thus the light of the 2qute constantly on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back