Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Dec 26, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #1,696 of 1,746
Have you installed the 2Qute driver for PC? I don't use a PC myself, just a thought.

I already did installed driver, if I remember correctly even when I didn't install driver, PC still detect 2Qute with stock cable though.

Does Wywires Platinum USB allow the USB power signal to reach 2Qute? Some USB cables made for hi-fi prevent the USB power signal from reaching the DAC. 2Qute requires the power from the USB cable to power the circuit that interprets the digital data. The optical input is the reference for sound quality with 2Qute, so distrust a USB cable if it sounds different.

I don't know technical design of 2Qute & Wywires but maybe you're right... if it's true then I've to change 1 of these 2. Thank you.

Jan 12, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #1,697 of 1,746
Hi.

Anyone tried to have a DDC , USB=>Spdif on the 2qute. I was wondering if it gets better than just using the USB.

I have done a great deal on LPS, so now I have absolute no SMPS on my HIFI outlet.
Running switch, 2Qute and PC Endpoint on LPS.

I'm really happy with the improvements so far, but if another tweak makes is better I'm always interested.

Mar 30, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,700 of 1,746
Hi,

I’ve got a slight issue when I connect my 2qute to the my Kef LS50 wireless speakers, using the 2qute as a dac.
My source is an Aries Mini hence connected via usb to the 2qute then linked to the auxiliary rca input of the Kef ls50 wireless.
My problem is that for a few songs only, the music saturates. This is annoying even though it happens only with a few songs (also not hi-res files) but mostly noticeable on voices.
Could it be that the high output voltage of the 2qute might cause some issue with the rca sensitivity of my Kef LS50 wireless?

Thanks for your help and thinking here !

Mar 30, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #1,701 of 1,746
Hi,

I’ve got a slight issue when I connect my 2qute to the my Kef LS50 wireless speakers, using the 2qute as a dac.
My source is an Aries Mini hence connected via usb to the 2qute then linked to the auxiliary rca input of the Kef ls50 wireless.
My problem is that for a few songs only, the music saturates. This is annoying even though it happens only with a few songs (also not hi-res files) but mostly noticeable on voices.
Could it be that the high output voltage of the 2qute might cause some issue with the rca sensitivity of my Kef LS50 wireless?

Thanks for your help and thinking here !
This is possibly bad news for you.
  1. I could not find any reference to the sensitivity of the Aux input, so you are best contacting KEF for that information.
  2. This review implies, but does not definitively state that the Aux input is provided for turntables. If so then it is possible that RIAA equalisation is applied to the input, which conceivably make the audio sound strange. Also maybe a turntable input could have a relatively low sensitivity.
  3. Finally the review states "Purists should be made aware that all incoming analogue signals are instantly digitised to 24bit/192kHz PCM; how else would the signal be split and the left channel handed over to the other loudspeaker via Ethernet?". This means that your 2Qute is wasted in this system. The analogue output from the 2Qute, is concerted back to digital by the speakers, before potentially some DSP, followed by conversion back to analogue by the DACs inside the speakers. You should be feeding the signal from the Aries Mini, straight to the LS50

Mar 30, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #1,702 of 1,746
This is possibly bad news for you.
  1. I could not find any reference to the sensitivity of the Aux input, so you are best contacting KEF for that information.
  2. This review implies, but does not definitively state that the Aux input is provided for turntables. If so then it is possible that RIAA equalisation is applied to the input, which conceivably make the audio sound strange. Also maybe a turntable input could have a relatively low sensitivity.
  3. Finally the review states "Purists should be made aware that all incoming analogue signals are instantly digitised to 24bit/192kHz PCM; how else would the signal be split and the left channel handed over to the other loudspeaker via Ethernet?". This means that your 2Qute is wasted in this system. The analogue output from the 2Qute, is concerted back to digital by the speakers, before potentially some DSP, followed by conversion back to analogue by the DACs inside the speakers. You should be feeding the signal from the Aries Mini, straight to the LS50

Just on your item 3, I had an interesting conversation today with a dealer who sells some very clever digital speakers (ie digital source in) who says that he finds that often the output is better when fed an analogue supply from a good dac rather than a direct digital stream direct from the source. I know that this does not make sense but I trust this dealers ear.

Mar 30, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #1,703 of 1,746
Just on your item 3, I had an interesting conversation today with a dealer who sells some very clever digital speakers (ie digital source in) who says that he finds that often the output is better when fed an analogue supply from a good dac rather than a direct digital stream direct from the source. I know that this does not make sense but I trust this dealers ear.
You are right that it does not make sense.
It would be interesting to hear Robs views on the matter.

May 16, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #1,704 of 1,746
Hi folks.I haven't been on here in a while.I have been enjoying my Mojo for a while and I am looking to upgrade my DAC duties for my Atoll IN200 Signature integrated amp.So I just bought a used 2Qute and my intial impressions so far are,that it has beautiful treble and great imaging like my Mojo.It seems that the 2Qute's treble is way better than Mojo's with better extension,resolution,detail.The imaging seems on par.But i think at least the midrange bass goes to 2Qute again but not by much.And 2Qute's low end bass extension beats Mojos.I want the right DAC for my system which includes Buchardt S400s.I don't think the 2Qute has that thicker meatier sound that I want for my speakers.It still does sound great in my system.And like i said that I love the highs with this DAC.And i would say its more neutral than my Mojo.I will give it some more time.Does changing the power supply do anything?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #1,708 of 1,746
Does the 2Qute do DSD? If so, which ones?

Nov 26, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,710 of 1,746
I would like to add a little of my experience with 2Qute. I bought it second-handed more than a year ago. I was thinking about some nice DAC and there was RME-ADI2 on sight. Then I found a quite nice offer online and I decided to try. If I will not like it, I will sell it. But, here we are. After more than year I am not even thinking about DAC upgrade. It sounds just amazing. I had quite a turbulent year in head-fi and I changed almost everything in my rig, but 2Qute is still with me. With no plans to go anywhere. It sounds amazing! This piece of equipment holds me in single ended audio. I actually think, that if single ended is built on top level, there is no need to go balanced. 2Qute is extremely detailed with great separation and what amazes me most is, that otherwise it is technically very good, it is not dry or boring. This is joy to listen to. It is fun. It is addicting. Keeping that crazy amount of technical qualities. I really liked R2R dacs for their fun factor, but 2Qute is on another level. Comparing other DAC`s which I tried, it is like there is a plenty of good cola drinks. Some are delightful, but light because of sweeteners. You can enjoy them, but then, you will taste the 2Qute which is like the original sweet Cola with that full taste, perfect temperature, with right amount of sparkling. With original sugar! Just right. So tasty, delightfull! And then, try to imagine, you add tubes. Here we are - Perfect Cherry Cola! Addicting!

I have also one scary story. I was experimenting with cheap amps and I bought JDS Atom. Unfortunately, I plugged Atom power source into 2Qute and it died immediately with a smoke coming from inside the 2Qute. I was like, I killed it. But, I wrote an email to Chord customer service, they gave me instructions, I packed it and sent to them. They proceed with all the medicine and it was not killed, just some diode was dead. Changed, repaired. And for not a huge amount of money. And it arrives to me and it makes me happy again. This is extremely nice piece of gear. It`s pure joy!

I love it! I know, if I will buy sometimes another DAC in future, it will be Chord!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back